Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Phastek Performance

Old 09-28-2020, 10:18 AM   #1
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Summit Sucks!

Who else has had problems with parts availability with Summit? This isn't the first time I had to cancel an order with them because they can't get an item in a timely manner.

So I ordered a steering wheel for my car from them as a special order. There were other sites that were GM parts distributors that had it in stock, but with shipping they cost about $25 more so of course I went with Summit.

Today I got the second email from them saying my order was delayed and it will be cancelled unless I email or call them to keep it on back order. They extended the ship date another 4 weeks.
If it did ship October 27, that would make it 10 weeks since I ordered and probably 11 by the time I received it.

Ridiculous!

So what I think is happening here is they had old pricing on their website for the part and they're hoping I'll cancel so they don't have to take a hit on the freight and part. The part through Summit was about $15 less than the lowest price anywhere else and they offered free freight. OK, maybe that's not the reason, but waiting 10 weeks for a part is just stoopid. I work with buying parts all day long and an order that's old usually means someone screwed up and dropped the ball.

Slow boat from China is faster than that!

Shame Summit....shame.

FasNuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:21 AM   #2
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
I've had that happen with Summit, but way more with Amazon. Probably because I buy more from Amazon. I actually called Amazon out on it the last time and I had the part in two days.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:24 AM   #3
FasNuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
I've had that happen with Summit, but way more with Amazon. Probably because I buy more from Amazon. I actually called Amazon out on it the last time and I had the part in two days.
I've found Jegs to be more reliable but a little more expensive. They didn't offer my steering wheel.
I found issues with Amazon usually arise when it's an individual seller shipping the item...kinda like Ebay and not stock controlled by an Amazon warehouse, but I'm sure it happens.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:42 AM   #4
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I'm pretty sure the problem is their supply chain. A large amount of items they sell are low quality Chinese crap so it takes a while for that unreliable slow boat to arrive. I recently ordered a Made in China (!!!) A/C control unit from Summit for my '94 GMC and was told it would take 4 to 6 weeks to show up, it arrived in 3. I've actually had pretty good luck with both Summit and Jegs. It's just a crap shoot with mail order.

Last edited by ariZona28; 09-28-2020 at 03:37 PM.
ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:30 AM   #5
FasNuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
I'm pretty sure the problem is their supply chain. A large amount of items they sell are low quality Chinese crap so it takes a while for that unreliable slow boat to arrive. I recently ordered a Made in China (!!!) A/C control unit from Summit for my '94 GMC and was told it would take 4 to 6 weeks to show up, it arrived in 3. I've a actually had pretty good luck with both Summit and Jegs. It's just a crap shoot with mail order.
The part I ordered was OEM. I just made the distinction that China delivers faster than Summit apparently.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:37 AM   #6
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
I've found Jegs to be more reliable but a little more expensive. They didn't offer my steering wheel.
I found issues with Amazon usually arise when it's an individual seller shipping the item...kinda like Ebay and not stock controlled by an Amazon warehouse, but I'm sure it happens.
I use Jegs too, but it's harder to search. If Jegs was easier to search, I might never buy from Summit.

On Amazon, I look for who is providing the part. Sometimes you can recognize the dealer name.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:04 PM   #7
jethrobandit

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS
I haven't had much issue with them, but I don't get a ton of stuff there. They're the most reliable place I get Driven oil. Typically order it and get it 2 days later. Did that last week too even though their site is plastered with shipping warnings about supply chain and shipping partner issues.
BTR Stage 3 :: GM 3.91 :: Eaton TrueTrac :: SW LT Headers :: Elite Catch Can :: CAI :: ADM Cold Scoop :: VMAX ported TB :: Forza 3Way :: BMR Lowering Springs/Toe Rods/Lower CA/Trailing Arms/Subframe Bushings
jethrobandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:14 PM   #8
FasNuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrobandit View Post
I haven't had much issue with them, but I don't get a ton of stuff there. They're the most reliable place I get Driven oil. Typically order it and get it 2 days later. Did that last week too even though their site is plastered with shipping warnings about supply chain and shipping partner issues.
I’ve run into shipping issues lately too but 6-10 weeks isn’t caused by storms or fires. They don’t want to source it. There are multiple other places that have what I wanted, just had to be willing to pay more. Well now I am Summit.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:19 PM   #9
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Quality, speed, price. Pick 2.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:00 PM   #10
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Right now there are supply chain and shipping problems all over the world. Remember COVID? It's still here.

As for asking you whether to cancel your order or place you on back order, Summit is doing you a service by keeping you informed instead of just ghosting you.

I have been using Summit for some years and they are excellent to work with. Orders all always correctly filled and well packaged.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:24 PM   #11
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Right now there are supply chain and shipping problems all over the world. Remember COVID? It's still here.

As for asking you whether to cancel your order or place you on back order, Summit is doing you a service by keeping you informed instead of just ghosting you.

I have been using Summit for some years and they are excellent to work with. Orders all always correctly filled and well packaged.

^^^^THIS^^^^
Old 09-28-2020, 02:33 PM   #12
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
I also have been using Summit for many years and have NO issues with anything I ordered, great service, well packaged and fast shipping on everything. And if I had an issued on something, they were really good on helping me get it resolved, returns? Never a problem and I always got my money back in a timely manner. So yea they are my go to folks. I have heard too many complaints on Jegs plus they were always more expensive, why change. And as mentioned above the suppliers are having sourcing problems and logistics problems getting stuff manufactured due to the COVID-19 issue we have still going on out there. Remember, a LOT of places were shut down for quite some time and most of them are slowly getting back to some normalcy, but slowly.. Cheers.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:41 PM   #13
FasNuf

Thanks guys. Unfortunately not everyone has had such a great experience with Summit. I guess I’m just the unlucky one.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:47 PM   #14
FasNuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post

So as far as Summit doing me a service, this is how anyone would expect a business to treat them. Let’s not forget that I’m paying them, not the other way around.