Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
hypercarfanatic

Drives: 2013 F-150
What do you wish you had known?

Hello All,

I am planning on buying a Camaro when I graduate my local community college, and move to a 4 year. Specifically, I am planing on a 2015 2LT, although depending on the improvements vs. price, the 2016 might be an option.

I am in the process of researching various different cars, the camaro being the primary choice right now, and in an effort to be through, would like to know what owners wish they had known before they bought the car, and if they still would buy the same car or not.

Thanks everyone
hypercarfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
No regrets, would do it again. Only concern would be the blind spots, which some deny exist. And I now (even after 3 years of daily driving a 5th Gen Camaro) am still concerned with going through drive-thru's, here both sides are curbed, and it is hard to tell where they are. (sightlines)

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
hypercarfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
No regrets, would do it again. Only concern would be the blind spots, which some deny exist. And I now (even after 3 years of daily driving a 5th Gen Camaro) am still concerned with going through drive-thru's, here both sides are curbed, and it is hard to tell where they are. (sightlines)
Makes sense, and sounds like a good thing because I need to lose weight anyways :P
Old 09-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #4
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
Yea - the sightlines are a bit of a bitch - but once you develop Jedi-like driving skills, you don't need to see curbs anymore.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #5
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
No regrets, funnily enough I bought my Camaro right after I transferred as well.

I guess the only thing I can say that might be an issue is budget for gas. No, not because it will eat it, because having a new Camaro on a college campus is the funnest shit, ever.

Oh, and parking it takes some getting used to. Easy to do so however.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
no regrets, I tend to research the heck out of a car before buying, I even rent them for a week or so, as to get a feel for what my daily commute will be..

the one and only time I bought a vehicle on impulse I regretted it the 4 years I owned it..
Old 09-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #7
nelsont

Drives: 2018 2SS Hot Wheels Convertible
Only thing I wish I would have known were the issues with the early convertibles.
knock on wood ive not had a problem with mine but probably would have shyed away from early models and bought a new 13.
As another member mentioned about the blind spots, terrible in the coupe, another reason for the convertible buy.

Good luck with your search.

Tim
nelsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
love my car. no regrets.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #9
hypercarfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbearpig View Post
No regrets, funnily enough I bought my Camaro right after I transferred as well.

I guess the only thing I can say that might be an issue is budget for gas. No, not because it will eat it, because having a new Camaro on a college campus is the funnest shit, ever.

Oh, and parking it takes some getting used to. Easy to do so however.
Lol yeah - my friends want me to get it already so I can spin it around in a parking lot

What do you mean about parking? Is it the sight lines? How would you compare it to a truck - I drive an F150 - and think it is a bitch to park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
no regrets, I tend to research the heck out of a car before buying, I even rent them for a week or so, as to get a feel for what my daily commute will be..

the one and only time I bought a vehicle on impulse I regretted it the 4 years I owned it..
Renting is a great idea, I will look into that. Thanks
Old 09-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
No regrets. Wish I would have known about the whole "mod itch" nobody told me that was going to happen. That and, just how much gas I would be putting in the car. Does not get the worst mileage....but put your foot into it a few times and see what your gas gauge does.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #11
KeyWil

Drives: 2011 Blk 1LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
No regrets. Wish I would have known about the whole "mod itch" nobody told me that was going to happen. That and, just how much gas I would be putting in the car. Does not get the worst mileage....but put your foot into it a few times and see what your gas gauge does.

+1
KeyWil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:01 PM   #12
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Will mention this as well.

If you like the old style of the taillights I'd lean toward a '13. Nothing at all wrong with the other years but the 13 will have everything upgraded during the 11 and 12 years and be a pretty good price with rebates and whatnot.

If you want the new style I'd get a 14 instead of a 15, reason being is the car is more or less the same, the '14 is just cheaper.

The '16 will be on the alpha platform, lighter, quicker and have a refreshed look. Honestly if you have the patience it may be the best yet. It's supposed to be unveiled this upcoming January? I believe. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Terms of parking, the car has a low slopping roof and a longer front end. Generally I would misjudge how long the front of my car is and park out a little far from the curb. Backing in I have no problems however I also had a rear camera yapping at me whenever I looked at anything too close. Parallel parking can be a little annoying too but if you're adjusting your mirrors down and paying attention it's easy to learn. Then again I'm attending a university in the middle of a city. It may simply be a geographical issue.

Another thing I should mention, some traffic lights may be a pain to see as well. If they are directly over the car you have to lean toward the windshield to actually see it. I haven't parked a truck, closest I've gotten to that is a Range Rover, I'd imagine it's a lot of the same though which is just developed intuition.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #13
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
No regrets.

I'd get a good catch can day 1 on a new Camaro. I'd scout parking places ahead of time where I can have a wide or isolated spot. I'd learn to back in on a regular basis to protect the front air dam and splitter. I'd learn to do a two bucket wash and have the correct washing/drying tools to avoids paint swirls. I'd learn modern mirror positioning to avoid traditional blind spots.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #14
hypercarfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbearpig View Post
Will mention this as well.

If you like the old style of the taillights I'd lean toward a '13. Nothing at all wrong with the other years but the 13 will have everything upgraded during the 11 and 12 years and be a pretty good price with rebates and whatnot.

If you want the new style I'd get a 14 instead of a 15, reason being is the car is more or less the same, the '14 is just cheaper.

The '16 will be on the alpha platform, lighter, quicker and have a refreshed look. Honestly if you have the patience it may be the best yet. It's supposed to be unveiled this upcoming January? I believe. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Terms of parking, the car has a low slopping roof and a longer front end. Generally I would misjudge how long the front of my car is and park out a little far from the curb. Backing in I have no problems however I also had a rear camera yapping at me whenever I looked at anything too close. Parallel parking can be a little annoying too but if you're adjusting your mirrors down and paying attention it's easy to learn. Then again I'm attending a university in the middle of a city. It may simply be a geographical issue.

Another thing I should mention, some traffic lights may be a pain to see as well. If they are directly over the car you have to lean toward the windshield to actually see it. I haven't parked a truck, closest I've gotten to that is a Range Rover, I'd imagine it's a lot of the same though which is just developed intuition.
I am really looking forward to the '16. If they change the taillights, but keep the general look for the rest of the camaro, that is what I will go with. I don't like the bar style lights, but its not a super major concern for me.