Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-11-2017, 03:49 AM   #1
Alex-A

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT 50th Anniversary
Smooth Shift

Hey,

So I've been driving standard for about 6 months now, and I'm still trying to learn little things here and there in order to improve my manual driving abilities. One thing I've been really stuck on, is shifting from 1st to 2nd. I can do it smoothly, but I end up having to do it slowly in order to let the RPM's drop down to 2nd gear ratio. By the time I'm done the shift, usually all the other lanes of cars are long gone.

I was watching this video today, and I am impressed as well as confused on how this gentleman shifts. At the beginning of the video, he shifts from 1st to 2nd so effortlessly and smoothly that it's almost mesmerizing. It didn't seem like it was anything special, just a regular shift around 2400RPM, except done so nicely! Can someone explain how he does that, and can offer some pointers on what he did?

Video: https://youtu.be/9mVmoE1RNho?t=63
Alex-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:16 AM   #2
Zboy136

Drives: Red Hot 17 1LE
Well from watching he just got the rpms slightly above 2500, and he shifted quick, if you let the rpm's drop too much your gonna buck. The faster the shift the more seemless it will feel.
Zboy136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:33 AM   #3
ColbyJ

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Conv A8 Arctic Blue
Don't overthink it. It becomes natural.
......manual shilting for 55 years.
ColbyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:55 AM   #4
BowtieRocket

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS- M6
Shift within your gear set, meaning the optimal rpm range for next gear....and don't rest your hand on the shifter constantly like this fellow. Shifting takes practice and focus in the beginning and like anything becomes natural over time. Takes repetition. For a smooth quick manipulation of the shifter, preload pressure on the shifter toward the next gear. Once you press the clutch the shifter pretty much jumps to the next gear. Manual shifter for 30 years.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:52 AM   #5
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyJ View Post
Don't overthink it. It becomes natural.
......manual shilting for 55 years.
This! It just takes practice. You will get there.

Been doing this since '69. And that was before synchronized gearboxes on my first car. So much easier now with current technology.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Another thing that helps a lot ensuring smoother shifts and helps prevent grinding or missing a shift under more spirited driving. This is just my preference and has always helped me but everyone has their own style.

1st to 2nd: Palm facing left and thumb up like he's doing in the video. This helps keep the elbows to your side and helps to naturally keep you lined up with 2nd gear and not accidentally go to 4th when you pull straight back.

2nd to 3rd: Palms forward. Just put your hand over the top of the shifter and push the back side of the shift knob forward with the base of your palm. This will drive 2nd right into 3rd straight up.

3rd to 4th: Same as above but grip the front side of the shift knob with your fingers and pull it straight back to 4th. This keeps everything aligned. If you were gripping it like 1st to 2nd in the video you might pull 3rd back into 2nd.

4th to 5th: Rest your palm on the shifter but tilt your thumb down. Top of your hand should turn towards you. This helps you push forward and away with your palm to 5th aligning 5th gear perfectly.

6th just pull again with the fingers straight back down.

Hope that helps. Again some people have their own style they prefer to use but the above really helps me shift smoothly and prevents grinding/missing if I need to shift quickly.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #7
Casalino

Drives: 17' 1LE BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Another thing that helps a lot ensuring smoother shifts and helps prevent grinding or missing a shift under more spirited driving. This is just my preference and has always helped me but everyone has their own style.

1st to 2nd: Palm facing left and thumb up like he's doing in the video. This helps keep the elbows to your side and helps to naturally keep you lined up with 2nd gear and not accidentally go to 4th when you pull straight back.

2nd to 3rd: Palms forward. Just put your hand over the top of the shifter and push the back side of the shift knob forward with the base of your palm. This will drive 2nd right into 3rd straight up.

3rd to 4th: Same as above but grip the front side of the shift knob with your fingers and pull it straight back to 4th. This keeps everything aligned. If you were gripping it like 1st to 2nd in the video you might pull 3rd back into 2nd.

4th to 5th: Rest your palm on the shifter but tilt your thumb down. Top of your hand should turn towards you. This helps you push forward and away with your palm to 5th aligning 5th gear perfectly.

6th just pull again with the fingers straight back down.

Hope that helps. Again some people have their own style they prefer to use but the above really helps me shift smoothly and prevents grinding/missing if I need to shift quickly.

^^^^ this is overthinking it....
Casalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #8
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Which is why I said go with what you feel is best. This just happens to work for me and I was sharing it. The OP seems new to manuals.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #9
Alex-A

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT 50th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zboy136 View Post
Well from watching he just got the rpms slightly above 2500, and he shifted quick, if you let the rpm's drop too much your gonna buck. The faster the shift the more seemless it will feel.
Wouldn't that make it buck even more due to the rev-hang and the RPM's haven't dropped down to the speed of 2nd gear?
Alex-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:29 AM   #10
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
I shift 1 to 3, good middle ground between the jerky 1-2 and gutless 1-4.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #11
AxiomVerge

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Black M6 1SS Vert
I usually try to get it so the clutch is sliding into place while the RPMS are dropping. The car accelerate forward a bit but if you do it gently it won't be a big jerk.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
2008 Corvette Convertible
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
AxiomVerge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #12
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Turn off rev match and learn to drive the car. I can drive it smoother without it on in stop and go traffic. Now on the track, its a different story.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:40 PM   #13
Infamous DK

Drives: '17 Mosaic Black 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casalino View Post
^^^^ this is overthinking it....
He's not over thinking it at all. That method is the same that I use and really does help prevent potential mishifts/money shifts when shifting fast. I don't even think about it when shifting, and it doesn't make a difference in time. It just sounds complicated because he wrote it out in great detail. Nice to be safe, especially for new manual drivers.

OP I've noticed 2nd gear in this car takes a little extra finessing sometimes. I get it smooth and quick every time. Like others have said just practice, and also maybe try shifting from 1st-3rd during some scenarios.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #14
crazydmc
ummmm

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Nightfall w/Blk Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
I shift 1 to 3, good middle ground between the jerky 1-2 and gutless 1-4.
yes, this .. 2nd is hardly needed for "normal" driving... one less shift, very smooth, plenty of power even at slow speeds. I use 3rd when I make rights at intersections too, plenty of power.

rev match on always (for effortless downshifting)

btw, i've been driving stick since before I was born...
crazydmc is offline   Reply With Quote