Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
crz2fer

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Injen CAI W/ Hydroshield AND STILL Hydrolocked My Engine

It didnt even rain that bad yesterday but long story short, I ended up coasting through a puddle maybe 3-4 inches at about 10-15 mph, and my entire car just shut off. Friend and I pushed it into the nearest parking lot and tried to start it. Nothing. Popped open the hood removed the rubber elbow from the intake manifold and water pours out of that end of the intake AND the manifold.. My cars not even lowered, it intake filter with the hydroshield is about 10 inches away from the floor! Removed all the sparks and the MAF so it could airdry, only on of the sparks was wet fro some reason. Turned the keys in the ignition to check for compression, no pistons or bearings broke, but it was shooting out sprays of water. I repeated this until as much would come out as possible. Replaced everything back to its original postions, and it took a little persuading, but the car decided to start. It runs REALLY hard now, and I have steam coming out of my exhaust, I guess thats gonna happen til all of the water evaporates. Any way of installing an AEM BPV on and Injen CAI or would I be better off nix'ing the whole thing? DEFINITELY don't want THAT happening again!
crz2fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Wow...thats one heck of a first post. People are going to want some kind of pictures or proof or something...just warning you.

Hope the car returns back to normal....I really have no idea how damaging this can be, but I'm sure it ain't pretty.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Well if this story is true it validates one of the reasons I did not choose this intake. My car is lowered and where I live we can get some pretty crazy rain storms. Sometime the only way home is fording streams. Maybe I should install a snorkel on my A-Pillar. Ha Ha.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
Yeah, having a straw installed to suck up water is a very bad thing.
Lucky it started back up with no severe damage noticed yet. Has the engine smoothed out yet?
I wouldn't worry about the steam yet, but if the engine never smooths out, there is probably damage internally, could be a bent rod, bent valves, etc.
Hopefully it turns out well for you, keep us updated!
(And my advise, get a better cold air intake without a straw )

The Airaid Intake is a great intake.
We're installing another one later today, and will get some before and after dyno pulls to see just how much it helps.
JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
crz2fer

Im not really worried about everyone believing me, just needed to rant, but more curious if theres a way or IF its effective to install an AEM bypass valve on this intake. It was about a 4 hour dilemma trying to get everything to dry in the middle of the rain, I was using my phone as a flashlight since it was about 10 at night and i didnt really worry about getting pics. Ive let it idle for about half an hour and the check engine light finally turned off but there's still steam/white smoke (I hope its steam) coming out of the exhaust. And i have to keep the key turned a little longer than normal to get it to start up
Old 09-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Wow...thats one heck of a first post. People are going to want some kind of pictures or proof or something...just warning you.

Hope the car returns back to normal....I really have no idea how damaging this can be, but I'm sure it ain't pretty.
yeah... agree with the "first post" thing.... I know I sure am skeptical! I drove trough some pretty deep stuff and my car was lowered and never had an issue...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
crz2fer

I wasnt too worried about rain when I ordered my intake, I live in the middle of the desert and we were already 2 months into what turned into a 6 month drought. Like i said I've ran through some deeper puddles and nothings happened, this really caught me off guard. My wheel well cover was removed to promote breathing for the intake, might be the reason i experienced a problem and others haven't
Old 09-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crz2fer View Post
Im not really worried about everyone believing me, just needed to rant, but more curious if theres a way or IF its effective to install an AEM bypass valve on this intake. It was about a 4 hour dilemma trying to get everything to dry in the middle of the rain, I was using my phone as a flashlight since it was about 10 at night and i didnt really worry about getting pics. Ive let it idle for about half an hour and the check engine light finally turned off but there's still steam/white smoke (I hope its steam) coming out of the exhaust. And i have to keep the key turned a little longer than normal to get it to start up
I think you can just turn the key and let off... the computer actually takes over and keeps cranking until the cars starts... IIRC...
Old 09-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
It is absolutely believable with the design of that intake.
Having an air filter several inches above the ground, right next to a tire that splashes water....
I've seen many engines on different cars seize (usually permanently) from intakes like this.
JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #10
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crz2fer View Post
I wasnt too worried about rain when I ordered my intake, I live in the middle of the desert and we were already 2 months into what turned into a 6 month drought. Like i said I've ran through some deeper puddles and nothings happened, this really caught me off guard. My wheel well cover was removed to promote breathing for the intake, might be the reason i experienced a problem and others haven't
How long have you had your hydroshield on? Any holes in it?
Old 09-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
crz2fer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
Maybe I should install a snorkel on my A-Pillar. Ha Ha.
Haha, I shouldn't have cheaped out and went with that upgrade
Old 09-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #12
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech@JDP View Post
It is absolutely believable with the design of that intake.
Having an air filter several inches above the ground, right next to a tire that splashes water....
I've seen many engines on different cars seize (usually permanently) from intakes like this.
There are a LOT of Injen users here.. this is the FIRST reports I think we've had here...

It's tucked out of the way... as long as you leave the wheel well cover installed...

Old 09-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #13
crz2fer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
My hyrdoshield has been on for no longer than 2 months, I had to remove it last night to try and dry off the filter as best I could (No holes, just a little dirty). If you put the end of the filter up to your mouth and expersed all your air as fast as you could, it replicated what you would imagine seeing if your intake filter "Sneeze" it was soaked, as was my MAF
Old 09-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #14
crz2fer

Quote:
Quote:
There are a LOT of Injen users here.. this is the FIRST reports I think we've had here...

It's tucked out of the way... as long as you leave the wheel well cover installed...

See when I installed it, leaving that section of the wheel well on would push the plastic against the filer. And from it being bowed out by touching the filter, the wheel well was all of half and inch away from my tire, so I removed it

Tags
air, cold, hydrolock, injen, intake