Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-30-2021, 10:39 AM   #1
Grumpy1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
Maggie 2650 Build - Final Thoughts

As of now (although things can change - Lol) I think I'm going to do this build in two phases, maybe.
Phase 1) complete bolt on, fuel 2) heads and cam, fuel, cooling -heat exchangers.
In the first phase I'm hoping for 700-750rwhp, if I feel I need more then I'll go to phase 2. To get to that # in phase 1 I know fuel needs to be addressed which I don't mind. Rather be safe than sorry and figure whatever I do will help for phase 2.

Decided to see if that 700plus range is good enough for the street. Want to have fun but not where the car is unusable. As I've said in other posts this is a street car, will not see time on a road course but maybe the occasional trip to the drag strip. If I break the time where I need to invest in a roll gage then that's out too.

Here's my list for phase 1 so far.
Maggie 2650
80 or 90mm pulley
9.2" drive pulley
Gates Green belt
103 Nick Williams T/B and snout
Kooks 2" LT w/high flow green cats, x-pipe to the stock suitcase.
Rotofab Big Gulp
160 deg thermostat
Fuel??

Fuel is the only place I'm undecide on but willing to do what I need.
Low side - JMS booster - anything else...…aux fuel pump?
High side - what are my limits with stock cam?
Can add an XDI pump but what about injectors. Do oem injectors have room for the added fuel or do I need the +30. Hate to invest in +30 if in phase two I decide on +65.

Appreciate everyone input...….
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:10 AM   #2
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy1 View Post
As of now (although things can change - Lol) I think I'm going to do this build in two phases, maybe.
Phase 1) complete bolt on, fuel 2) heads and cam, fuel, cooling -heat exchangers.
In the first phase I'm hoping for 700-750rwhp, if I feel I need more then I'll go to phase 2. To get to that # in phase 1 I know fuel needs to be addressed which I don't mind. Rather be safe than sorry and figure whatever I do will help for phase 2.

Decided to see if that 700plus range is good enough for the street. Want to have fun but not where the car is unusable. As I've said in other posts this is a street car, will not see time on a road course but maybe the occasional trip to the drag strip. If I break the time where I need to invest in a roll gage then that's out too.

Here's my list for phase 1 so far.
Maggie 2650
80 or 90mm pulley
9.2" drive pulley
Gates Green belt
103 Nick Williams T/B and snout
Kooks 2" LT w/high flow green cats, x-pipe to the stock suitcase.
Rotofab Big Gulp
160 deg thermostat
Fuel??

Fuel is the only place I'm undecide on but willing to do what I need.
Low side - JMS booster - anything else...…aux fuel pump?
High side - what are my limits with stock cam?
Can add an XDI pump but what about injectors. Do oem injectors have room for the added fuel or do I need the +30. Hate to invest in +30 if in phase two I decide on +65.

Appreciate everyone input...….
Your high side is going to run out before low side. An 80mm with a 9.2 lower will put you at 18psi or more. Not even doable.

700 would be absolute max on high side/stock cam unless your pumping in meth and 700 is pushing it. 680 is more typical.

Mods your showing for phase 1 would be maybe 680rwhp with a 90mm pulley, then your out of fuel.

You don’t need to worry about the low side until you add a cam.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:02 PM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
My set-up is nearly exact to another Member who's 700-plus RWHP, and my low-side is starting to drop, even though my high-side is yet to drop much if any. I haven't been able to get to the track yet, and my runs don't get much past about 4th gear, so perhaps I'll see the high-side start falling a little more by the end of the track. Runs that short don't tax the fuel system too much at this power, but what remains to be seen is what happens making a full pass. I'll be logging when I do make it out there, so I'll be watching, and can make a better decision based off data I collect.

I've seen Members here and on HPT say conflicting things. Some say as long as the high-side doesn't fall much, the low-side doesn't matter too much, to a point. It seems the consensus, though, is after about 700, you have to get into the fuel system. There's some tuning you can do that might help a bit (with the stock fuel system) at that level, but you're really at the end. I'd plan on a low-side when doing the cam, just so you're not back in the shop right after getting the H/C treatment.

Some of this will depend on your usage, too. Since you're not going to road course it, you might be able to get away with a booster for a little bit (at your Phase I), but while many have had good luck, I'm not sure how much faith I'd leave in it much past 700. That's a lotta' money on the line to trust a booster. If you're on the street or strip, your runs will be relatively short, so maybe a booster will be "okay", but I'd be careful. That's just me though...

I'll say on OEM tires that this power is not unmanageable, but I'm not making much use of what I have. I can't go WOT until I'm just before the 2-3-shift. It's still spinning after that, but I usually have enough momentum. It's been too cool (until this week) to really run the DRs, but I'll soon see how traction is with them on.

JMHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:44 AM   #4
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Phase 1 I’m guessing you’ll be about 690whp maybe up to 710 with a happy dyno. If you go with a cam, 800whp is easy to come by.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:28 PM   #5
Grumpy1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
My set-up is nearly exact to another Member who's 700-plus RWHP, and my low-side is starting to drop, even though my high-side is yet to drop much if any. I haven't been able to get to the track yet, and my runs don't get much past about 4th gear, so perhaps I'll see the high-side start falling a little more by the end of the track. Runs that short don't tax the fuel system too much at this power, but what remains to be seen is what happens making a full pass. I'll be logging when I do make it out there, so I'll be watching, and can make a better decision based off data I collect.

I've seen Members here and on HPT say conflicting things. Some say as long as the high-side doesn't fall much, the low-side doesn't matter too much, to a point. It seems the consensus, though, is after about 700, you have to get into the fuel system. There's some tuning you can do that might help a bit (with the stock fuel system) at that level, but you're really at the end. I'd plan on a low-side when doing the cam, just so you're not back in the shop right after getting the H/C treatment.

Some of this will depend on your usage, too. Since you're not going to road course it, you might be able to get away with a booster for a little bit (at your Phase I), but while many have had good luck, I'm not sure how much faith I'd leave in it much past 700. That's a lotta' money on the line to trust a booster. If you're on the street or strip, your runs will be relatively short, so maybe a booster will be "okay", but I'd be careful. That's just me though...

I'll say on OEM tires that this power is not unmanageable, but I'm not making much use of what I have. I can't go WOT until I'm just before the 2-3-shift. It's still spinning after that, but I usually have enough momentum. It's been too cool (until this week) to really run the DRs, but I'll soon see how traction is with them on.

JMHO.
Is there anything that can be done to the fuel system or is the cam the limiting factor?
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:37 PM   #6
Camaro1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy1 View Post
Is there anything that can be done to the fuel system or is the cam the limiting factor?

You'll need a cam to overdrive the HPFP. Skip the low side booster, its a complete waste of money. Your not going to need a low side upgrade on your build until your well past where you will be HP wise.

Once/If you put a cam in,then you can upgrade your low side with an AUX setup.

On my build, i was able to hit 800rwhp SAE without touching the low side.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Old 05-06-2021, 02:18 PM   #7
Corey7519

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
If you are putting that much $$$ into it why wouldn't you do a a low side aux pump should be the question. IMO skip the voltage booster - those seem to be used more for the e-85 upgrade. But ... I guess if you drive around at under 5000 rpm all the time you'll be ok. What does your builder say? That will determine what pully you can use safely. But I would rather future build on the side of caution - yes to aux fuel pump - then also you are ready to go with phase 2 also
Corey7519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:41 PM   #8
Sickspeedkuwait

Drives: '17 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
Your high side is going to run out before low side. An 80mm with a 9.2 lower will put you at 18psi or more. Not even doable.

700 would be absolute max on high side/stock cam unless your pumping in meth and 700 is pushing it. 680 is more typical.

Mods your showing for phase 1 would be maybe 680rwhp with a 90mm pulley, then your out of fuel.

You don’t need to worry about the low side until you add a cam.
Did you notice any drop in MAT temps cruising in comparison to the stock blower? Also, any change in temps when WOT?

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2021, 04:07 PM   #9
Camaro1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickspeedkuwait View Post
Did you notice any drop in MAT temps cruising in comparison to the stock blower? Also, any change in temps when WOT?

Thanks!

Yea of course, big time. Temp actually goes down when you get into boost and not up . There really is no comparision cooling wise to the stock blower.

Old 05-06-2021, 04:42 PM   #10
Sickspeedkuwait

Drives: '17 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Yea of course, big time. Temp actually goes down when you get into boost and not up . There really is no comparision cooling wise to the stock blower.
Thanks man I appreciate it !
Old 05-09-2021, 03:51 PM   #11
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
I just want to chime in.

With my Maggie 2650 build my fuel limit capped me at 705 whp/631 tq.

2" headers
5" intake
103 tb
x pipe
dsx low side

This is about 12 psi boost. Will be getting H/C next and hope for 800+ on stock 90mm pulley.
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:22 PM   #12
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGofast View Post
I just want to chime in.

2" headers
5" intake
103 tb
x pipe
dsx low side

This is about 12 psi boost. Will be getting H/C next and hope for 800+ on stock 90mm pulley.
Not much you can do without more fuel. 700whp is about the limit for any setup not using meth before fuel is an issue.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:09 PM   #13
Camaro1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGofast View Post
I just want to chime in.

2" headers
5" intake
103 tb
x pipe
dsx low side

If your on the stock 90mm pulley now, your not making 12psi of boost more like 16. Also your tq numbers seem off. Just a Maggie swap, headers, intake, tb, etc the hp/tq numbers should be fairly close.

Have a dyno print ?

Old 05-09-2021, 07:39 PM   #14
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
Quote:
If your on the stock 90mm pulley now, your not making 12psi of boost more like 16. Also your tq numbers seem off. Just a Maggie swap, headers, intake, tb, etc the hp/tq numbers should be fairly close.

Have a dyno print ?
Baseline

https://imgur.com/dCZexkF

After above mods

https://imgur.com/EJ6Dwt1

I will mention this is actually on a C7Z...
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote