Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-02-2016, 05:42 PM   #1
cleverCamaroName

Drives: N/A
Procrastinator Detailing Supplies

Basically, this is the first time I detail. My (dirty) car is here, and I would like to get to it this weekend. That said most of the products in Glen Es writeups are from other sites, and I'm guessing they would take a week or so to get here. It would pain my soul to see my car like that for so long. I have prime, so if the community would post products they've obtained on Amazon Prime and have had good experiences with I'd appreciate it. (Mitts, soap, finishers, etc)

Sidenote: Glen your write-ups are awesome I just didn't do my homework haha
cleverCamaroName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:46 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Well at least you admit it… LOL

Most of the products in my articles are on amazon with free shipping, esp the blackfire stuff.

Locally, get some meguires gold class shampoo and a mitt, keep it clean, until the good stuff comes.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #3
Tushar

Drives: 2016 2SS
Get a touchless wash

2SS Garnet Red
NPP
Automatic
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:32 PM   #4
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
I found the detailing process takes weeks (especially when dealing with winter weather).... Gotta do it in stages. Unless you have a lot of energy and a lot of time to invest. For me it was like 4 hours every Saturday for a month+.

Of course I was needing to spend extra time because I had to wash it before the next step every time.

My suggestion for week 1:
Wash with dawn and clay bar the entire car. The nanoskin foam clay bar thingy is excellent.

When you are ready for 2nd step (hopefully not too much later..... I did it the next day for polish with the recommended blackfire and a griots orbital.)

Unfortunately I don't have the free time glen does. I took a couple more weeks to get his final stages done.... Specifically the blackfire crystal seal and h20 on the wheels.

I have one more stage to go above and beyond Glen's formula. I plan to hydro my car next weekend. we'll see how it works out.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:34 PM   #5
Glen e

Wow I don't know how you spent that much time. My process is four hours start to finish for 3-6 months worth of coverage. I skip step 2a.

I wash/clay at the same time.

The wheels are 6 min per wheel.....

RinselessWashes are 20 min...

Trust me, I don't spend time detailing on this car. Call me if you want, it should be a short detail, thats why it was written.

Last edited by Glen e; 02-02-2016 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:18 AM   #6
GTIanZ28

3 reasons Glen.

1st: I'm a bit of a perfectionist and not in much of a hurry
2nd: Oregon weather and I daily drive this car. In the winter months it rains constantly and driving on wet roads gets my car dirty almost immediately so I had to wash and dry my car before doing each crystal seal step.
3rd: I haven't bought/done a rinseless wash yet.

The crystal seal probably took me an hour each time to apply / buff + the hour it took to wash / dry my car. So 4 hours is an exaggeration there. But, the first wash / claybar step; and the Polish & Seal with the orbital step each took 4 hours and I was sore for days (1st time using an orbital) - the results were spectacular though!

Big props on the Mothers drill attachment with the polish for the exhaust tips. Worked quickly with amazing results.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:23 AM   #7
Glen e

Then I would appreciate you not making a statement that I have "time to waste" as I'm retired.This was written to be shorter that any other detail you do. Your method and perfectionism is choices you made, not a part of the detail method I wrote for for others.

Last edited by Glen e; 02-03-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:41 AM   #8
FlightSoftware

Drives: '95 Corvette, '06 Mustang, 2LT RS
I'm totally looking forward to this not taking much time. I do NOT enjoy detailing a car, especially when it's hot (and forget it when it's cold).

Glen, I'm also looking forward to trying your techniques on a plane. There's so much surface area and dragging the hose around sucks. I'll probably use a rinseless that's ok for aircraft, but the principles should still apply.

I wonder if anyone has tried sealants / coatings for airplane paint. I doubt mine has a clear coat, don't know how to tell.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:44 AM   #9
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightSoftware View Post
I'm totally looking forward to this not taking much time. I do NOT enjoy detailing a car, especially when it's hot (and forget it when it's cold).

Glen, I'm also looking forward to trying your techniques on a plane. There's so much surface area and dragging the hose around sucks. I'll probably use a rinseless that's ok for aircraft, but the principles should still apply.

I wonder if anyone has tried sealants / coatings for airplane paint. I doubt mine has a clear coat, don't know how to tell.
Rejex, the forerunner of WOWA sealants, is used a lot on planes, the crystal seal should work fine....I know of one plane done with it on a detailing site. RV's too.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #10
FlightSoftware

Drives: '95 Corvette, '06 Mustang, 2LT RS
Cool. btw... detailing supplies have shipped. Should be here soon. Now if the weather would just warm up.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:49 AM   #11
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightSoftware View Post
Cool. btw... detailing supplies have shipped. Should be here soon. Now if the weather would just warm up.
Call me, ill give you few other shortcuts.....i sent you back a pm the other day, where you pm'd me..
Old 02-03-2016, 02:10 PM   #12
GTIanZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Then I would appreciate you not making a statement that I have "time to waste" as I'm retired.This was written to be shorter that any other detail you do. Your method and perfectionism is choices you made, not a part of the detail method I wrote for for others.
WOW!.... relax a little bit. You are putting words in my mouth.

I said that "I don't have the time that you have". That isn't a slight or an insult and it isn't insinuating that you are wasting time. I am following your methods. Simply because you can do it quickly doesn't mean others are as efficient or skilled as you are. Hopefully I'll be able to do it faster in the future.

I have done nothing but sung the praises of your methods with everyone. I even sent your dropbox to my father and suggested that he give it a try.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #13
Glen e

No prob, understood, good luck!
Old 02-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #14
GTIanZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
No prob, understood, good luck!
Thank you and I apologize if I offended you.

Sure that I can safely say that there are a lot of us who are very grateful for all the information, instruction, and advice that you provide.