Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 12-29-2015, 10:07 PM   #15
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Completely false:

Firstly, to prep, repaint, possibly blend the bumper, hood and fenders at a good shop is a good $1500 at least...front end clear bra, $500-$1000.

Clear bras, unless installed by a monkey last much longer then 3-5 years. Most come with warranties for at least 5 years. I have been using them for a long time. Never had to replace one if you take care of it. One car I had was going on 10 years when I sold it, no discoloration, no ends pealing up, and the front end of the car looked new after 65,000 miles.
That sounds legit but my personal and friends' experiences have been completely opposite. It has always been much cheaper to paint the front bumper than to use clear bra.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:46 AM   #16
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Ok both of you have valid points. ALthough I do have to side with TR6. Usually a wholesale repaint bumper is 150-200. Since we live close Summit White SS I can introduce you to the guy that does it and it is fantastic paint work. On the other side most people get ripped off because of Hype and then the bra sounds good. I really wanted to CQuartz my car because I hate waxing any more. I get OCD about it and then there is 12 coats in 2 years. ALthough I am not spending $1300-1500 for a $400-600 job.

I have a hard time justifying what these people are asking for simple things. The clear bra is like applying tint. It costs less than 30 to make the piece but sells for $250 then some one charges you another $200 to install it. If they would bring the prices down more people would do it.

I will be repainting my bumpers if needed over doing the clear bra. I have the money and can spend it. I just wont feed into the hype.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:20 AM   #17
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
Ok both of you have valid points. ALthough I do have to side with TR6. Usually a wholesale repaint bumper is 150-200. Since we live close Summit White SS I can introduce you to the guy that does it and it is fantastic paint work. On the other side most people get ripped off because of Hype and then the bra sounds good. I really wanted to CQuartz my car because I hate waxing any more. I get OCD about it and then there is 12 coats in 2 years. ALthough I am not spending $1300-1500 for a $400-600 job.

I have a hard time justifying what these people are asking for simple things. The clear bra is like applying tint. It costs less than 30 to make the piece but sells for $250 then some one charges you another $200 to install it. If they would bring the prices down more people would do it.

I will be repainting my bumpers if needed over doing the clear bra. I have the money and can spend it. I just wont feed into the hype.
Thank you Instead of spending 1k+ spend that on something more useful, like an intake + some more goodies on the car! Haha. Key is just finding a great place with fantastic work which I have access to. It's just about 5 hours away but nothing but the best for my babies!
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:22 AM   #18
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Ok both of you have valid points. ALthough I do have to side with TR6. Usually a wholesale repaint bumper is 150-200.
Yes, for a BUMPER, that is a good price. But, what about the hood and two fenders and possible needed blending? The chances of just one area needing the respray is rare, and even then, blending very well will be needed, depending on the color. As I said, $1500 easy at a good shop...

Quote:
The clear bra is like applying tint. It costs less than 30 to make the piece but sells for $250 then some one charges you another $200 to install it. If they would bring the prices down more people would do it.
Not at all true, it is MUCH harder then applying tint. It is thicker, and less forgiving. Much, much harder to work with.
Quote:

It's not hype...let's see, spend about $500 for a clear bra for your front bumper area ( I paid about this for my last two, and the installers came to my house) that from the day you have it installed will protect the front bumper from ANY chips or scratches that will last for years and years and years. Verses not protecting the front bumper area and getting chips and who knows what else on a regular basis (as soon as you have a few it IMO ruins the appearance of the car) then having to spend more then the clear bra costs you EACH time you want to repaint those areas? And that is if you have a good, trusted body shop who you know does good work. Otherwise it's just like going to a crappy mechanic, as you chance Joe Blow pulling apart you car, hoping it goes back together the same way, with the same quality hardware, and hope the paint and blending is done good and that there is no over spray on the car, yeah, no thanks. I will stick with my clear bras...but being it is your guys cars, to each their own.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:25 AM   #19
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmcss View Post
For that price I would Ceramic Pro the whole car!

No coating will protect against rock bashes, I've used many of them. Only a film will protect against physical damage.

And yeah, xpel is installer dependent, to get it perfect with the complex bends of the c6 front end, it takes a lot of skill. Many bad jobs out there.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote