#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 01-25-2020, 03:04 PM   #1
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Camaro’s new plant mate is at the dealers

Drove by the local Cadillac dealer today and spotted the first CT5. Didn’t know they were even out. Needs a TV commercial

First impressions:

I had hoped the funky c-pillar molding would look better in person.........and it does not.

Rear seat head room is more like the old ATS. There is a bump in the headliner but if if lean forward your head hits the headliner. Rear seat step over is very high.

Front seat seems very nice. Seats in the Sport model are very good.

Sharp addition but it didn’t seem to have a difference making element in styling or features. A lot I great cars in this segment.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2020, 03:38 PM   #2
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
would you be mad if i said it does nothing for me?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:49 PM   #3
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
As far as current GM sedans go, it's pretty nice. I like that it's rwd or awd but I wish it had better powertrain options. LT1/LT2 would be killer in this car.

Our first one that arrived sold almost instantly. It was a base model with Sun and Sound package and Climate package. It listed for just over $41k. It was really nice for a base model but at that price, it's more expensive than a loaded Impala, which I think is a better car.

It's better than the ATS but I don't think it looks as attractive as the outgoing CTS.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:03 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Wow.....pretty bland....a bit of accord styling.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #5

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
The bad news....Less front and rear seat head-room, less front and rear leg-room, etc., than Impala. Impala trunk volume @19 cubic feet....CT5 @12 cubic feet. Impala is being discontinued.

The good news....The Cadillac CT5 is way more expensive.

Of course let's not forget GM knows what they are doing and can't be questioned.

Name:  impala4.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  169.6 KB
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #6
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
reminds me of an alfa
Old 01-25-2020, 04:55 PM   #7
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
And let us remember the Impala is front wheel drive as opposed to the CT5 which is rear wheel or all wheel drive!��
Old 01-25-2020, 05:02 PM   #8
LT4Greg

I read somewhere that GM might put the LT4 engine in the CT5 calling it the CT5 V, so there maybe hope for a supercharged version eventually! Of course it will sticker out at $70,000 or more since it will have the Cadillac nameplate!
Old 01-25-2020, 05:06 PM   #9

Maybe the RWD CT5 can pick up where the RWD Chevy SS left off. The demand must be huge.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:12 PM   #10
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
The bad news....Less front and rear seat head-room, less front and rear leg-room, etc., than Impala. Impala trunk volume @19 cubic feet....CT5 @12 cubic feet. Impala is being discontinued.

The good news....The Cadillac CT5 is way more expensive.

Of course let's not forget GM knows what they are doing and can't be questioned.

Attachment 1017787
It’s a messed up market right now. Impala was a solid car. I like my LaCrosse even better.

But those 2 cars have a not well known story about GM’s big problem (and its not lack of advertising). Both cars as well as the Cadillac XTS are off of the same LWB Epsilon architecture. My car, the highest trim level, has the HiPer strut front suspension and the linked H-arm rear suspension. It handles superbly for a FWD car. It’s only optional on the Buick, and standard on the Cadillac but NOT available in the Impala at any trim level. GM is not able to make the Impala as good as it could be simply because of its need to feed 3 brands. Realistically VW and the Fiat hook up have more than 2. Ford, Honda and Toyota are only managing 2 brands now. But the drug is Buick in China so Buick isn’t going away any time soon. But imagine how good Chevy could be if it’s only restriction was Cadillac. Think Encore vs Traxx, or Encore GL vs Trailblazer. The Buick’s are just much better looking IMO.

And because of China, my LaCrosse remains in production in China because it sells there. But as of now I believe Impala, LaCrosse and XTS are all dead.

In the end they are minting money right now, but unless they’re upcoming EV launches are spectacular (by that I mean beat Tesla which the Germans all fell on their face trying to do) GM has serious long term issues.

The biggest tell of all was simply falling to number 3 in full size pickup sales. Just simply missed the mark compared to Ram. Again, still hugely profitable but lower sales. And they are advertising the crap out of that vehicle.

The CT5 looks to be a really nice car. But GM has to hope it at least outsells the CTS out of the box. I’m looking forward to a test drive soon.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:16 PM   #11
LT4Greg

Maybe so! Lol�� It amazed me that when the SS was discontinued people were crying and upset when it was but when they could buy one they didn’t! Go figure.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:20 PM   #12

Yeah, I get it. But it's just a shame the Cadillac couldn't at least match or exceed the Impala in cabin/passenger and trunk space. Doing so would fit right in with what a Cadillac is/was all about.

Agreed its a mixed market and segment for four door sedans. But Cadillac could have stood out in the size department. The platforms, etc., of the cars likely don't amount to a hill of beans with the public. They see the outside of the car, not the underside. And will likely see another brand-x four door sedan.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:46 PM   #13
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Yeah, I get it. But it's just a shame the Cadillac couldn't at least match or exceed the Impala in cabin/passenger and trunk space. Doing so would fit right in with what a Cadillac is/was all about.

Agreed its a mixed market and segment for four door sedans. But Cadillac could have stood out in the size department. The platforms, etc., of the cars likely don't amount to a hill of beans with the public. They see the outside of the car, not the underside. And will likely see another brand-x four door sedan.
That car was the CT6, canceled here but remains in production in China. Almost bought one (certified used) but went with the LaCrosse. That car was simply awesome, use of aluminum had a huge car that weighed hundreds of pounds less than a CTS. I think the interior, which I found very nice, was just not at Audi/MB levels.

GM is still lagging on interiors and in the luxury segment this is a big part of the car they don’t address.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:27 PM   #14
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
with what Cadillac has had for the past decade....that looks like something they might have done in the 90s.
big step backward stylistically.