Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-03-2019, 05:57 AM   #1
federal

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Stuck choosing between Procharger, whipple, and Magnuson

Hey guys, I’ve been a long time lurker and decided to finally make an account as I make my steps towards FI.

I’ve done my research on all three, but still cannot seem to make a decision and wanted some input. I plan to, for now, stay stock besides possibly a CAI and hopefully soon a Soler TB. With that said, I would like to stay around 550-600 HP so that my internals will be safe and not risk ruining anything. I don’t do any drag racing of the sort, I just want some boost for when it’s convenient.

The Procharger appeals to me mainly for the cheaper price and ease of install, as I plan to do it myself besides the tuning, in which remote tuning would be preferable. I don’t mind the higher, less instant power as I don’t anticipate wanting power from a stop.

The Whipple and Magnuson also seem fairly easy to install, and I’ve seen a little bit better of a reputation/higher recommendation count for them. While I said earlier I dont mind the lag/higher RPM boosts, less lag can never go wrong from what I’ve read.

With all that said, if anyone also has any recommendations on which vendors they recommend that offer the canned tunes/DIY tuning/remote tuning, please let me know as I’m open to all recommendations!

Vehicle is a 2018 Camaro 2ss
federal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:23 AM   #2
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Congrats on your decision to go FI. I believe the majority of folks here prefer the PD style blower aka Whipple/Maggy, not that it's superior imho but I personally have been extremely happy with the Procharger Centri setup. I run a smaller pulley on it and boost comes on pretty quick but nothing like the instant power of the PD chargers. That's probably where each person differs in their choices with how they prefer the power delivery.

I installed my kit over a weekend by myself and had Ted Jannetty remote tune it and its just a blast to drive.
I recommend if you do go Procharger you get the P1x or D1x with the stage 2 IC and the Race Bypass.

Either direction you go will result in huge satisfaction either way so no worries you really can't choose wrong imho.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
I have been very pleased with my Maggie but have never owned or driven a car with a centrifugal supercharger. The Maggie is a fairly involved but very simple installation. It can easily be installed in a weekend. The kit is extremely well engineered, everything fits as well as oem.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:50 AM   #4
chross12

Drives: 2016 ss whipple,rotofab,A8,magride
I would suggest the Whipple, i have one on my car. endless get up and go. One possible negative would be how hard they go at launch. I have yet to hook mine up on the street and i only have 8lb of boost. Still the PD blowers are my choice. You will also need a tranny re-tune along with someone to tune the install. I will say the factory Whipple can tune ran out of fuel at 5000K. I had a reputable tuner fix the issue. Since then 45,000 miles on the unit and still going ..
chross12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:44 AM   #5
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by federal View Post
Hey guys, I’ve been a long time lurker and decided to finally make an account as I make my steps towards FI.

I’ve done my research on all three, but still cannot seem to make a decision and wanted some input. I plan to, for now, stay stock besides possibly a CAI and hopefully soon a Soler TB. With that said, I would like to stay around 550-600 HP so that my internals will be safe and not risk ruining anything. I don’t do any drag racing of the sort, I just want some boost for when it’s convenient.

The Procharger appeals to me mainly for the cheaper price and ease of install, as I plan to do it myself besides the tuning, in which remote tuning would be preferable. I don’t mind the higher, less instant power as I don’t anticipate wanting power from a stop.

The Whipple and Magnuson also seem fairly easy to install, and I’ve seen a little bit better of a reputation/higher recommendation count for them. While I said earlier I dont mind the lag/higher RPM boosts, less lag can never go wrong from what I’ve read.

With all that said, if anyone also has any recommendations on which vendors they recommend that offer the canned tunes/DIY tuning/remote tuning, please let me know as I’m open to all recommendations!

Vehicle is a 2018 Camaro 2ss
Procharger has a new kit that keeps the factory air box. I'd go with a P1X, I'd put some long tubes in or at least do the front cat delete. My theory has always been the less boost possible to make the HP you want. I like lots of head room so I'd do
Low side LT4 pump in tank... this is really a pain BTW and you want to consider a second pump solution I went with DSX, this is candy to install and can support any HP that you are thinking about.
Highside I'd go LT4 pump and injectors
The P1X if very efficient and light.

For tuner both Pray and Cunningham have been great, and at your power levels you can still street tune.

The Procharger is slightly lighter say 10 lbs and it really is easy to install.
Oh and do a LS2 I forget crank seal and I just vent, but there are catch can police on this board, but you do not want to blow any seals out.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I had a P1sc on a very low mileage Fbody years ago and now have a Whipple on my 6th gen SS. I have also had a couple NA heads/cam setups.

My preference based on what I have experienced is I like the fit, finish, and power delivery of the Whipple. The kit is top notch with quality parts used down to the fasteners.

What I do like about Procharger is: The ease of install. Also more easily returned to stock compared.to PD. Air to air intercooler could potentially be less problematic compared to liquid coolers with pumps.

The Whipple and Maggies look like a OEM solution. I honestly like the Power delivery of a PD. Nothing like cruising in 8th gear and only needing to downshift into 6th and pull like a stock SS would downshifting into 2nd. Crazy pull in all gears that doesn't require revving the engine to the moon to pull. Makes for a fun street car and easier on the engine.

Traction is dependent on 3 variables and not really the power adder. Tune, Tire, and Driver. First couple attempts at a 0-60 with my Whipple was 3.3 on the street. That was a fairly easy launch using a 305/35/20 555r. I called it good for the sake of my axles and have not tried since. I do have quite a bit of timing in my tune so it hits hard. If I was on a street tire I would pull some timing down low to soften the hit.

In the end they are all pretty good systems. They alll are capable of maxing the stock fuel system. So it comes down to goals and being honest with yourself about future upgrades. I do think the P1SC is a bit small for a 6.2. P1x would be a smart upgrade or even a D series. Also check out the ECS Novi kit if you are considering a Centri setup.

I would also take your time, shop around, and keep a eye in the classifieds. You will likely find a good deal on a setup. I bought my Whipple for 5500.00 BNIB and it came with HPtuners(8 creds), 2 gallons of coolant, lift pucks, fly wheel/balancer tools. A lot of people selling new parts uninstalled due to changing directions or selling the car.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #7
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Procharger has a new kit that keeps the factory air box.
Ya gotta link? The big thing keeping me away from procharger is hanging the AF right above the exhaust manifold. The only place better to put it would be behind the tailpipe.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:32 PM   #8
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
Ya gotta link? The big thing keeping me away from procharger is hanging the AF right above the exhaust manifold. The only place better to put it would be behind the tailpipe.

https://www.phastekperformance.com/P...1gy211-sci.htm

Looks like they revised the entire kit to face it completely in the other direction now. Also FWIW I don't think having the intake over the headers is too big of a deal. The Blower will heat the air up beyond the temp being sucked in over the headers under boost anyway and then the Intercooler does a fantastic job of cooling the air down. Mine is 5 over ambient while cruising.

Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Last edited by Dysan911; 08-03-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:10 PM   #9
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
https://www.phastekperformance.com/P...1gy211-sci.htm

Looks like they revised the entire kit to face it completely in the other direction now. Also FWIW I don't think having the intake over the headers is too big of a deal. The Blower will heat the air up beyond the temp being sucked in over the headers under boost anyway and then the Intercooler does a fantastic job of cooling the air down. Mine is 5 over ambient while cruising.

Word,

I'd still cut my hood vents open, and one day I'll add a tray between the headers and the intake filter.... but I got other fish to fry now..
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:39 AM   #10
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Congrats on your decision to go FI. I believe the majority of folks here prefer the PD style blower aka Whipple/Maggy, not that it's superior imho but I personally have been extremely happy with the Procharger Centri setup. I run a smaller pulley on it and boost comes on pretty quick but nothing like the instant power of the PD chargers. That's probably where each person differs in their choices with how they prefer the power delivery.

I installed my kit over a weekend by myself and had Ted Jannetty remote tune it and its just a blast to drive.
I recommend if you do go Procharger you get the P1x or D1x with the stage 2 IC and the Race Bypass.

Either direction you go will result in huge satisfaction either way so no worries you really can't choose wrong imho.

I will agree with you on everything other than going with the Px or Dx series. I have a D1SC that Ted tuned as well, the for the street and a daily driver the X is not a great choice. Their powerband is moved up higher in the range, so they do lack some low end flow in order to make that extra 50hp that Procharger shows for the X series.

I called PC and went over all of this when I bought my setup.

I will say this, get the Stage 2 intercooler at the minimum. The Race I/C would be a great option, but it requires you to remove the crash bar behind the bumper to get it to fit.

Personally I would opt for the 2" surge valve option and get a Tial 2" Q series surge valve. Either way what ever you do, DO NOT GET THE STANDARD 1.5" PC PROFLOW VALVE...!!!

That thing is junk.

The only other must do mods I would suggest is to go ahead and get the LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors and replace the orifice fuel line with the non-orifice fuel line and get the LT4 fuel lines.

I would hold of on buying any form of CAI or ported throttle body until you make the decision of why supercharger you are wanting. If you go the PC route, the CAI will be worthless as they dont use them and the ported TB would help on a blow thru Centri blowed. If you go with a PD like Whipple or such then the CAI and ported TB will swap over to them.

Congrats and have fun.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #11
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
I will agree with you on everything other than going with the Px or Dx series. I have a D1SC that Ted tuned as well, the for the street and a daily driver the X is not a great choice. Their powerband is moved up higher in the range, so they do lack some low end flow in order to make that extra 50hp that Procharger shows for the X series.

I called PC and went over all of this when I bought my setup.

I will say this, get the Stage 2 intercooler at the minimum. The Race I/C would be a great option, but it requires you to remove the crash bar behind the bumper to get it to fit.

Personally I would opt for the 2" surge valve option and get a Tial 2" Q series surge valve. Either way what ever you do, DO NOT GET THE STANDARD 1.5" PC PROFLOW VALVE...!!!

That thing is junk.

The only other must do mods I would suggest is to go ahead and get the LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors and replace the orifice fuel line with the non-orifice fuel line and get the LT4 fuel lines.

I would hold of on buying any form of CAI or ported throttle body until you make the decision of why supercharger you are wanting. If you go the PC route, the CAI will be worthless as they dont use them and the ported TB would help on a blow thru Centri blowed. If you go with a PD like Whipple or such then the CAI and ported TB will swap over to them.

Congrats and have fun.

I agree except I would always choose the P1x over the P1sc. This is what Procharger says"Both the P-1X and D-1X superchargers fit into the same brackets as P-1SC-1 systems and will be an optional upgrade for those who want increased performance on otherwise stock, modern V8 engines–to the tune of 10-15 more flywheel horsepower at the same pulley size (with stock motors running standard boost levels)!"

I can tell you right now, that with the same pulley size a D1X will absolutely DESTROY a P1SC at ANY RPM.... I had to put a HUGE pulley on my D1X just so the engine would not blow up. Even with the HUGE pulley (same 7 PSI of boost at fuel cut) boost ramp up time was only slightly affected. This is a belt drive turbo (basically) so there is no more lag because of the bigger volute or for the D1X the bigger compressor wheel. That said I think t(IMO) he P1X is the better choice, but if it is cheap enough would agree the P1SC is more than enough... spend money on headers.

I completely agree that a P1X vs a D1X what you posted based on a max boost of 7 PSI, the P1X is by far the better choice just price alone.

I will note that it is not part of this tread that a proper BOV system used as a wastegate could have a D1X with a 3.75 pulley making 7 PSI of boost at say 2500 engine RPM.....

I'm interested in the orifice fuel line? When I did my low side, I asked the dealer if the LT4 was the same from the low pump to the hard-line and he said that it was. I know the flex line just before the high side pump is visually different but never bothered to compare. So please explain?

I had no idea the standard intercooler removed the crash beam

Last edited by oldman; 08-04-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:56 PM   #12
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Thanks!
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:20 PM   #13
oldman

by reading and guessing, it looks like it will only come with a HO intercoler, and sorry Procharger work on your verbiage, cause it the real world that is known as the BASE system... Other than that I like the looks and routing of it.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #14
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I agree except I would always choose the P1x over the P1sc. This is what Procharger says"Both the P-1X and D-1X superchargers fit into the same brackets as P-1SC-1 systems and will be an optional upgrade for those who want increased performance on otherwise stock, modern V8 engines–to the tune of 10-15 more flywheel horsepower at the same pulley size (with stock motors running standard boost levels)!"

I can tell you right now, that with the same pulley size a D1X will absolutely DESTROY a P1SC at ANY RPM.... I had to put a HUGE pulley on my D1X just so the engine would not blow up. Even with the HUGE pulley (same 7 PSI of boost at fuel cut) boost ramp up time was only slightly affected. This is a belt drive turbo (basically) so there is no more lag because of the bigger volute or for the D1X the bigger compressor wheel. That said I think t(IMO) he P1X is the better choice, but if it is cheap enough would agree the P1SC is more than enough... spend money on headers.

I completely agree that a P1X vs a D1X what you posted based on a max boost of 7 PSI, the P1X is by far the better choice just price alone.

I will note that it is not part of this tread that a proper BOV system used as a wastegate could have a D1X with a 3.75 pulley making 7 PSI of boost at say 2500 engine RPM.....

I'm interested in the orifice fuel line? When I did my low side, I asked the dealer if the LT4 was the same from the low pump to the hard-line and he said that it was. I know the flex line just before the high side pump is visually different but never bothered to compare. So please explain?

I had no idea the standard intercooler removed the crash beam

it is the RACE I/C that has to modify the crash beam, the standard and Stage 2 I/C bolt up with no issues other than the normal parts you have to move around.

The fuel lines I am talking about are the ones under the intake manifold. The one on the drivers side that goes over the top of the head and under the IM that has the flex line it is the orificed version. That is the one I replaced with the LT4 model.

The other notable changes are to the hard fuel lines that connect the HPFP to the fuel distribution block. The stock LT1 fuel line from the HPFP to the distribution block comes out of the block and turns 90° back towards the HPFP. The revised one or the one the LT4 uses actually has a softer bend, to the tune of only being a 45° bend.

I replaced all of those while working with Ted with some fuel pressure issues on the HPFP. I replaced the HPFP and found GM revised it with a newer part number and then found the differences in the lines when I went back thru the install.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote