Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 01-29-2020, 01:20 PM   #71
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
You all want to talk about the GT500 tires but I just found out the ZLE was simply on 'Street' alignment. It was a customer car.

The GT500 had the track alignment. The car came from Ford directly.

So let's not make this about 'tires', I spoke to all the track day guys. Just because the GT500 was slightly cooked cannot justify the lap time deficit.

The Alpha is the Alpha despite being short of 110hp, no DCT, CF wheels etc.

Checkmate - ZL1.
Oh, well that changes a lot...
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:23 PM   #72
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
What's the info on the tires for the Camaro??? I mean really, I'm not to impressed with this shootout to be honest. Like someone else said, it looked more like just a few guys showing up for a "fun day" than anything else.
The Camaro was on the stock GYers from the factory. They ensured that the GT500 and the ZLE were on OEM tires that customers would get to be fair.

As noted in my previous post, the GT500 had the advantage of having the track alignment. The ZLE was only on street alignment.

So anybody who wanted to knock on the ZLE winning on track despite having the following deficits should rethink-
  • ZLE was down 110HP
  • ZLE did not have the Track Alignment
  • ZLE did not have the faster DCT
  • ZLE did not have CF wheels or anything fancy.

Last edited by Checkmate1; 01-29-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Checkmate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:24 PM   #73
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engyj View Post
About this bad.

But yeah possibly 1-2 seconds faster on fresh. Unfortunately, the life of a cup2 is short lived when attached to a GT500. Its heavy, and wears down hard by the third lap. So this was as close to science as we could get with the resources we have. We try to control every variable we can, always.
Since the ZL1 was privately owned did it have NEW tires?
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:24 PM   #74
Degausser

Drives: 2010 Tundra
Great content from Throttle House (and friends) as always!

Would love to see what a Camaro could do with the LT5, a DCT, and $11000 more dedicated to the track package. Here's hoping GM isn't done competing!
Degausser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:29 PM   #75
Road Pressence

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel ZLE
Real review of the big 3 with Randy Pobst behind the wheel.

Just watched this review from Throttle house taking the Redeye, GT500, and ZL1 1LE A10 through the paces. Been waiting for a real driver to drive all 3 on track for a comparison and its a not so much surprise were the Camaro ends up

Road Pressence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:45 PM   #76
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
The Camaro was on the stock GYers from the factory. They ensured that the GT500 and the ZLE were on OEM tires that customers would get to be fair.

As noted in my previous post, the GT500 had the advantage of having the track alignment. The ZLE was only on street alignment.

So anybody who wanted to knock on the ZLE winning on track despite having the following deficits should rethink-
  • ZLE was down 110HP
  • ZLE did not have the Track Alignment
  • ZLE did not have the faster DCT
  • ZLE did not have CF wheels or anything fancy.
Do you know if the tires are old or new?
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:47 PM   #77
Canadian ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 1995 Trans Am
This was AWESOME and well done Throttle House!!!

I won't spoil it for everyone but I have to admit I was surprised with some of results....

Bottom line is all 3 cars are FAST...really FAST and so as they say "What ever floats your boat".

ZL1 for me all day long but hey I am BIAS.

Last edited by Canadian ZL1; 01-29-2020 at 02:09 PM.
Canadian ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #78
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
And that is probably the greater point here, because the differences between these cars is at the extreme margins. So much so that most people who by any of them will never operate at or even near those margins. Given that, the CFTP is the better all around car, the ZL1 is right on its heels, is a much better value with better content (powered, heated cooled seats, HUD, PDR).

As I replied to a similar question on M6G, if someone was giving my choice of these two cars for free....CFTP. If I’m spending my money....ZLE.
No manual GT500 though and chassis wise it sounds like the ZL1 twins are more fun to drive. Aside from flipping the GT500 for cash if it was given to me for free, I believe I still pick the ZLE as the better/more fun drivers car. Like Camissa said in his GT500 comparison video, I can see it getting boring driving around town.

People on M6G and what not like to say the GT500 is more civilized all arounder, that's great for them, but I don't want that. I want a car that is an event to drive, warts and all. Which is why I also loved the drive of the GT350, tramlining and all etc. Now it sounds like Ford has removed some of that fun to driveness on the later GT3550s in an attempt to tame the tramlining. I say that is truly a shame, they should be putting their resources into QC and the Voodoo reliability IMO.

They are close enough in time that I don't care about that anymore. The reviews from multiple outlets confirm for me what I like about cars and the ZL1 is the clear winner there. For someone like me that loves road course driving, the extra 30-75k price difference (real world pricing between the two), that buys a ton of wheels, tires, brakes, insurance, track time, safety gear etc etc. If I ever come against a CFTP in my 6MT ZLE, I know it is a drivers race and I'm just fine with that.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:11 PM   #79
Road Pressence

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel ZLE
Yup all really amazing cars but I love the ZL1 and think its the overall best value for sure.
Love the guys at Throttle House also and their vids as well, good stuff.
Road Pressence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #80
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engyj View Post
About this bad.

But yeah possibly 1-2 seconds faster on fresh. Unfortunately, the life of a cup2 is short lived when attached to a GT500. Its heavy, and wears down hard by the third lap. So this was as close to science as we could get with the resources we have. We try to control every variable we can, always.
Hey James, we chatted a few days ago about this video on IG, great to have you chiming in here as well.

Obviously the tires on the gt500 made a difference, 1 to 2 seconds could tie or potentially beat the zl1, but you make a good point that people forget which has already been confirmed. A gt500 with fresh tires is going to go through them quickly and there will be wear by 3 hot lap, 760hp and 4000+ pounds will do that lol.

Do you know anything about the alignment of the zl1 1le that has been brought up? Was it a street alignment on the zl1 1le as has been rumored or a track alignment like the gt500 had?
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:52 PM   #81
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Very Cool!
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:52 PM   #82
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
No manual GT500 though and chassis wise it sounds like the ZL1 twins are more fun to drive. Aside from flipping the GT500 for cash if it was given to me for free, I believe I still pick the ZLE as the better/more fun drivers car. Like Camissa said in his GT500 comparison video, I can see it getting boring driving around town.

People on M6G and what not like to say the GT500 is more civilized all arounder, that's great for them, but I don't want that. I want a car that is an event to drive, warts and all. Which is why I also loved the drive of the GT350, tramlining and all etc. Now it sounds like Ford has removed some of that fun to driveness on the later GT3550s in an attempt to tame the tramlining. I say that is truly a shame, they should be putting their resources into QC and the Voodoo reliability IMO.

They are close enough in time that I don't care about that anymore. The reviews from multiple outlets confirm for me what I like about cars and the ZL1 is the clear winner there. For someone like me that loves road course driving, the extra 30-75k price difference (real world pricing between the two), that buys a ton of wheels, tires, brakes, insurance, track time, safety gear etc etc. If I ever come against a CFTP in my 6MT ZLE, I know it is a drivers race and I'm just fine with that.
Couldn't agree more.

Track alignment would have made the lap time gap much worse, so I question Randy's comment even further on fresher tires making up the difference and then some.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:56 PM   #83
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
As I replied to a similar question on M6G, if someone was giving my choice of these two cars for free....CFTP. If I’m spending my money....ZLE.
If someone gave me the choice for free, I would choos the CFTP, then sell it to a Ford fanboi for real cheap - only $5k ADM. Then, I would buy a ZL1 under MSRP, a pickup truck, and a nice fishing boat to tow behind it...

Sometimes you have to think outside the box a bit.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:00 PM   #84
Boo

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
Lol only because the guy left like a second later.

In the end, 3 out of the 4 of them would go with the Gt500 and that will stand out to people watching more than anything else on this review.
I just wanted a fair fight with the drag race. The 38degree weather test was ridiculous with these GY tires. Not to mention the regular ZL1 A10 is the best iteration of the camaro for a straight line test. So it fells really good that these guys took that into consideration and look what happened....dusted
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote