Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-04-2020, 02:58 PM   #1
LESS1

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Camaro SS 1LE vs Shelby GT350R

Stirring the pot a little... 2019 Camaro SS 1LE is stock plus "magical" Chevy Track Alignment and Motul RBF600, all else stock. 2018 GT350R mods unknown. Ran a best lap of 1:22:25 later in the day.

Enjoy!

Last edited by LESS1; 01-04-2020 at 04:40 PM.
LESS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:36 PM   #2
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Nice driving. Looks like you had him watching his rearview mirror too much in that slip up.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:38 PM   #3
LESS1

Thanks, ZRacerLE. Yeah, I think you are correct... too busy watching the review and not where he needed to place the car.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:17 PM   #4
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LESS1 View Post
Thanks, ZRacerLE. Yeah, I think you are correct... too busy watching the review and not where he needed to place the car.
That ss 1le is an amazing car. I bet you're having a blast tracking it!
Old 01-04-2020, 09:42 PM   #5
LESS1

ZRacerLE. It certainly is and I am. Simply amazing the amount of feedback and control from the Alpha platform. I spent months researching track toys (sold a very nice lightly modded C5 Z06) before deciding to go with SS 1LE and I couldn't be happier. One of my top priorities was minimal wrenching time once at the track, so tired of that routine. Really wanted the arrive and drive experience, I set tire pressures and that is it... other than gassing up once or twice per track day... She is a big heavy girl that likes to eat!
Old 01-04-2020, 09:56 PM   #6
ZRacerLE

Quote:
ZRacerLE. It certainly is and I am. Simply amazing the amount of feedback and control from the Alpha platform. I spent months researching track toys (sold a very nice lightly modded C5 Z06) before deciding to go with SS 1LE and I couldn't be happier. One of my top priorities was minimal wrenching time once at the track, so tired of that routine. Really wanted the arrive and drive experience, I set tire pressures and that is it... other than gassing up once or twice per track day... She is a big heavy girl that likes to eat!
I'm in a similar boat. I wanted something I could keep stock, but seriously track it... something so well engineered I'd risk messing it up by modding it.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:58 AM   #7
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Love Summit Point Main! Great course.

The GT350 almost lost his lunch in turn 3. Not a good place to go off, due to the gravel pit, but better than going off in turn 4...

Nice driving, 1:22:25 is a great time! I have a regular non-1LE 1SS. My best time (all stock except upgraded brake fluid) is 1:27:11.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:12 AM   #8
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Seems like you are a good driver, but the driver on the Shelby GT350R is not that good, probably a Rookie on a fast car. I have seen other Shelby GT350R and Shelby GT350 VS the Camaro SS1LE. The Camaro Alpha platform is more balanced on the curves, but the Shelby's top RPM would take the Camaro on straight line high speed. It would depend much on the type of track who would be the winner. If we consider drivers with similar driving skills.
Great drive!
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:42 AM   #9
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Seems like you are a good driver, but the driver on the Shelby GT350R is not that good, probably a Rookie on a fast car. I have seen other Shelby GT350R and Shelby GT350 VS the Camaro SS1LE. The Camaro Alpha platform is more balanced on the curves, but the Shelby's top RPM would take the Camaro on straight line high speed. It would depend much on the type of track who would be the winner. If we consider drivers with similar driving skills.
Great drive!
I hear this a lot about the top end rpm. The gt350 has more rpm than the zl1 as well? Yes. Does it pass it on the straights? No. It passes the ss 1le on the long straight away because it has an extra 70 horsepower, the horsepower does come from the extra RPM since it's an NA motor but its not passing because of rpm, it's the considerable power advantage it has. I imagine the ss pulls out of corners a little harder if exit speeds are equal but it's not enough to not get reeled in on the longer straights.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:23 PM   #10
LESS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Great drive!
First of all, thank you for the compliment. However, I will point out the Shelby driver is advanced solo like me, and has several track days under his belt in his GT350R, hardly a rookie. Watch the video again, he is trail braking and using late apexing to make the most of his HP advantage. Not sure I’d consider this rookie level driving. He did make the mistake of driving his mirrors which led to the turn 3 incident. Fact is Alpha is a better platform and even with 70HP deficit is able to run with and or beat GT350 twins when their HP advantage cannot be fully exploited.

Last edited by LESS1; 01-12-2020 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:27 AM   #11
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
First of all, thank you for the compliment. However, I will point out the Shelby driver is advanced solo like me, and has several track days under his belt in his GT350R, hardly a rookie. Watch the video again, he is trail braking and using late apexing to make the most of his HP advantage. Not sure I’d consider this rookie level driving. He did make the mistake of driving his mirrors which led to the turn 3 incident. Fact is Alpha is a better platform and even with 70HP deficit is able to run with and or beat GT350 twins when their HP advantage cannot be fully exploited.
...and, Summit Point Main has a nice big straight that does offer high HP cars an advantage, AND the bridge straight is mostly uphill, again favoring a high HP car...
Old 01-14-2020, 08:06 PM   #12
LESS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
...and, Summit Point Main has a nice big straight that does offer high HP cars an advantage, AND the bridge straight is mostly uphill, again favoring a high HP car...
Yes, sir. Main is great and is a good track to learn on. However, Shenandoah is my favorite and is one of the most technical tracks in the country. I lucked out last year and ran twice on Shenandoah with Seat Time and due to low attendance both times it was open track 9 AM - 5 PM!
Old 01-15-2020, 08:00 AM   #13
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Yes, sir. Main is great and is a good track to learn on. However, Shenandoah is my favorite and is one of the most technical tracks in the country. I lucked out last year and ran twice on Shenandoah with Seat Time and due to low attendance both times it was open track 9 AM - 5 PM!
I might have been there that day (at Shenandoah), was it Sept 21st? They combinded race and street cars into one group and just had an open track all day. It was awesome, but I had to leave early due to a commitment that came up.

I love Shenandoah, but I feel with a car as big, heavy, and powerfull as a Camaro (I have the SS non-1LE), is a bit much for that track. I wish they made it exactly the same but a bit bigger. On Main, I feel like I can really let the hammer down and go all out. But then again, it has less turns and challenges.

I love the bridge straight on Shenandoah, going over the ski jump and into the carrosell. What a blast! But like they say, it will take years to master that track. I feel like I have my line down on Main...
Old 01-15-2020, 08:06 PM   #14
LESS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
I might have been there that day (at Shenandoah), was it Sept 21st? They combinded race and street cars into one group and just had an open track all day. It was awesome, but I had to leave early due to a commitment that came up.

I love Shenandoah, but I feel with a car as big, heavy, and powerfull as a Camaro (I have the SS non-1LE), is a bit much for that track. I wish they made it exactly the same but a bit bigger. On Main, I feel like I can really let the hammer down and go all out. But then again, it has less turns and challenges.

I love the bridge straight on Shenandoah, going over the ski jump and into the carrosell. What a blast! But like they say, it will take years to master that track. I feel like I have my line down on Main...
Yes, that was one of the days I was there. It would have been my first time on Shenandoah and the second track day in my 1 LE. It was awesome the amount of on-track time we had, can't wait to do that again. It is such a great track and you are right it would take a very long time to master, especially with the off-camber corners, car placement is so critical for fast and consistent laps. SP 9 to 10 is a fun straight, I'm working on left foot braking for 10, been a challenge that I hope to master this year. That and downshifting into 3rd for 10 as well. Look me up this year, I will attend FATT and Seat Time as well as a few Car Club events like PCA..etc. I will be in the Riverside Blue 2019 with that "ugly front end".