Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-21-2019, 09:38 AM   #71
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I cross shopped a Mustang and a Camaro. Browsed both forums, read all about the visibility issue and ergonomics. I knew the Camaro was the better performance car, so I test drove both the Mustang and the Camaro on the same day to see if the Mustang would sway me in terms of those things. It didn't. Visibility is a non-issue for me. The A-pillar is just as big on the Mustang as it is on the Camaro. The high belt line and the narrow windshield make it feel like you're more closed in, but you sit lower and can see out of the car just fine. And once I adjusted the mirrors properly, as many have suggested on this forum, there was no argument to be made about visibility at all as far as I'm concerned.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #72
Tex2SS
16 Camaro 2SS Convertible

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
I did my first test drive today. The car feels awesome. Also, at least on the sides, I can see better than in my Mazda 3, which seems to have less window in the blind spot

The windshield, yes, is kind of small but I can bypass that.

My real issue, at least at first sight, was with the length of the car. It seems huge for what I am used to, like a big truck. No idea how to park it. No idea how much space I have in front of me or on the sides. I had to turn left / right from the middle of the lane to feel somewhat comfortable.

I am not complaining at all, I want to be somewhat sure that I will be comfortable with it after a while.

I want to go and buy it tomorrow. How fast did you got used to its dimensions?

Thanks!
@Yankee

I have to say that I am as nervous as a long tailed cat in a house full of rocking chairs when I am driving this hugemongous beast. Lol

I am coming from driving a Chrysler Crossfire Limited Roadster for 10 years and my new Camaro is like driving an RV. I've had my Camaro for 3 days now and I agree that I feel like I have to go halfway into the adjoining lane just to make a turn without running over the curb. Lol

As you will see from the attached picture, the Crossfire has pretty much no ass end on it and now I have several feet of car behind me. :O

I think I need to go into an empty parking lot and do some backing into spots to try to get used to the rear-view camera and to trust that it is not going to let me smash into other vehicles when doing so.

The other part is trying to get this puppy to fit in my one car garage. Yikes! I have just a couple of inches on each side of the car as well as front to back. ( Still can't believe that we do not have folding mirrors. My Crossfire at least had manually folding mirrors and it is tiny. :/ )

I am going to have to mount floor to ceiling mirrors in my garage so that I can see everything when I am pulling in. Lol
Attached Images

Last edited by Tex2SS; 03-25-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Tex2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #73
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
My specific problem is that I drive our SUV almost as much as the Camaro, and I'm not exactly an outstanding driver, so there is this constant relearning of positions and fender/hood curves to put the car into a spot perfectly straight. With the Camaro, I need to pull slightly to the right to straighten her compared to the SUV. Curbs haven't yet been an issue, but I do take right turns a bit wider to err on the side of caution, heh.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18

Last edited by arpad_m; 03-26-2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: typo
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:50 PM   #74
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2SS View Post
@Yankee

I have to say that I am as nervous as a long tailed cat in a house full of rocking chairs when I am driving this hugemongous beast. Lol

I am coming from driving a Chrysler Crossfire Limited Roadster for 10 years and my new Camaro is like driving an RV. I've had my Camaro for 3 days now and I agree that I feel like I have to go halfway into the adjoining lane just to make a turn without running over the curb. Lol

As you will see from the attached picture, the Crossfire has pretty much no ass end on it and now I have several feet of car behind me. :O

I think I need to go into an empty parking lot and do some backing into spots to try to get used to the rear-view camera and to trust that it is not going to let me smash into other vehicles when doing so.

The other part is trying to get this puppy to fit in my one car garage. Yikes! I have just a couple of inches on each side of the car as well as front to back. ( Still can't believe that we do not have folding mirrors. My Crossfire at least had manually folding mirrors and it is tiny. :/ )

I am going to have to mount floor to ceiling mirrors in my garage so that I can see everything when I am pulling in. Lol
Dude, you got the vert! Put the top down and the field of view opens up significantly Seriously, you will get used to it in no time. Mine sits in the garage (single car also) all winter. It takes about 10 minutes to re-acclimate and away I go. Enjoy
Old 03-25-2019, 09:27 PM   #75
yankee

Drives: 2018 Camaro LT RS, 2015 Mazda 3
Quote:
@Yankee

I am finally not so nervous anymore while driving. Parking on the other hand... I will have issues because I don’t see or know where all the sides end. But I have that problem with every car so it’s me, not the car. Some people “feel it” and can park one half an inch away with any car on every angle, but I don’t. That’s why I am extra careful and look 3 times more.

Well, it’s not a contest, who can park faster at the grocery store
yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:47 AM   #76
The_Dudebozo

Drives: 2016 2SS
Congrats on the yellow camaro @Yankee. I was in a similar situation; I had a 2012 Mazda 3 that I traded in for my 2016 2SS. You can do it; keep up the confidence/practice and you will adjust.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:30 AM   #77
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Wide-angle lenses do tend to bring on some "fish-eye" distortion, so it may take some time to get fully accustomed to using the camera. I'm still struggling with this after nearly a month in a different car (and rarely driving anything else).

Let me suggest learning how to do most of your backing up using the side mirrors (tilted down as necessary), which should be enough to get you located in a side to side sense for most parking situations. Use the camera for the last couple feet or so to judge rear bumper closeness to objects or the end of the parking spot.

Camera usefulness can get compromised by sunlight in a few directions and by wearing polarized sunglasses. My guess is that all camera systems suffer from those at least to some extent.

Norm
Old 03-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #78
madscotsman

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:

Get yourself a laser parking guide. I have one in our garage and it's a life saver for how far to pull in:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
madscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:35 PM   #79
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I got used to my 2010 Camaro SS so the 6gen SS and now the ZL1 is no problem for me. Just adjust the side mirrors, rear view mirror and use the back up camera when driving and backing up.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:07 PM   #80
Tex2SS
16 Camaro 2SS Convertible

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscotsman View Post
Get yourself a laser parking guide. I have one in our garage and it's a life saver for how far to pull in:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I ordered one of these. I like that it has a cross pattern that shows you your alignment side to side as well as back to front.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HHGRWS8..._GT7MCbD8FK7RG

Tex2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:26 PM   #81
Jverado

Drives: 2004 Silverado, 2020 ZL1
I would say about a day or two. I didn't find it nearly as dramatic as some of the reviews make it sound.
Jverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:46 PM   #82
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Smile Ditto..... not that bad

As Jverado said, it isn't nearly as bad as I have often heard.
I have rented gen5 and gen6 Camaros over the years and test drove at least a dozen more before choosing the one I finally purchased.
So by the time I signed on the dotted line I was pretty much accustomed to it and rarely think twice about it.
But I also second the idea of setting the mirrors properly and using the backup camera, assuming that you have one.
And of course, do look out the windows.

As for a parking device, I am using a $1 inflatable child's beach ball hung on twine from the garage ceiling.
Drive up to it centered in the windshield and stop when it contacts.
Very low tech to be sure, but we have done this for decades with all our cars and trucks.
They never need batteries, don't mar the paint, and work quite reliably.

And they are so festive to look at.......
Attached Images