Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-08-2019, 10:16 AM   #57
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
It was a GM decision to stop selling to fleets. They must know what they are doing, LOL
It floods the market, cheapens the brand, and there isn't much profit in it, but there is good and bad from it.
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:48 PM   #58
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
Attacks structure of a sentence and spelling but doesn’t give a decent argument to my post, typical. I generally find those against the wall, either gain from a porous border, have no skin ($) in the game or a taker in someway.
This has been 100% my observation as well, They have no argument to your post other than “you’re a racist” check CNN for details.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:49 PM   #59
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS50 View Post
They received a 5 week vacation.

They are getting paid.
Absolutely they got a paid vacation. How many of us in the private sector wish we had those cushy gigs. No sympathy here.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:05 PM   #60
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
It was a GM decision to stop selling to fleets. They must know what they are doing, LOL
This has been the message from GM the past few years. Chasing unprofitable volume for the sake of maintaining capacity was a contributor to the bankruptcy.
Quote:
GM sees more room to cut rental sales

General Motors plans to keep reducing the flow of vehicles from its plants to U.S. rental lots at least through 2018, continuing a strategy that has helped the automaker's North American operations pile up more than $26 billion in profits under CEO Mary Barra even as its overall market share keeps sliding.

Alan Batey, GM's president of North America, told Automotive News last week that sales to daily-rental fleets would fall by about 50,000 units this year and an unspecified amount in 2018. That would represent four straight years of declines for GM's rental deliveries, which already dropped from 16.1 percent of its total U.S. sales in 2014 to 11.7 percent in 2016, according to R.L. Polk registration data provided by the company. The additional reductions Batey discussed likely would drop that proportion into single digits.

"We like the rent-a-car business from a seats-in-seats perspective, because it's great test drives and it's a great opportunity to expose new people to our products," Batey said. "We don't like it when it's bringing too many nearly new vehicles back into the market to compete with our new business and compress our resale values."

Such discipline represents a major philosophical shift for a company that used to rely on money-losing fleet sales to keep its assembly lines running because its union contracts made cutting production extremely costly — and often because executives' bonuses and bragging rights hung in the balance.

Barra has moved GM away from prioritizing size at the expense of its bottom line, abandoning some large global markets where it was unprofitable in addition to emphasizing retail sales on the domestic front.

https://www.autonews.com/article/201...t-rental-sales

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 02-08-2019 at 01:47 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:46 PM   #61
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
I'm a big time capitalist but I also know not to believe anything that AL.O and GM corporate has to say.

GM fleet sales did not lead them to bankruptcy, many other factors caused that, too many factors to list here.

Its not the 70-80's anymore in regards to fleet sales.
Its all about corporate GREED and shareholders. Sure the fleet sales can cause a big hit on resale values. Upside is more people see and drive the car your selling.

Ford Explorer sales are pretty good...
What GM doesn't tell you on how much PROFIT there is on a Camaro. The shared platform they used is a BIG money saver.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:52 PM   #62
CamaroSS50

Drives: 2017 Camaro Convertible SS Fifty
If anyone has been paying attention to GM lately, they are laying off some 4,300 white collar employees. Really feel for them.

Check out this forum (don't participate, these folks are having a hard time)

https://www.thelayoff.com/general-motors

Per them, GM is claiming to be moving to becoming a tech company, not a car company.

While mass firing, the UAW employees each saw $11,000 in bonuses.

As for fleet sales, it is a shell game, regardless of each of the car companies.

In the past, a car company would sell the car to the rental co., usually at a steep discount. Done when they faced huge overstock.

Then they would lose more money, buying back the vehicle, this time at inflated prices.

In recent years that has changed. Regardless, GM sold their Impala's etc.

Not sure how we know that Camaro is not sold to fleets, as you can find many used 2017 Camaro's being sold by Enterprise.

https://www.enterprisecarsales.com/l...maro-Renton-WA

https://www.enterprisecarsales.com/l...o-Roseville-CA

https://www.enterprisecarsales.com/l...ro-Stockton-CA

Hertz car sales (500 miles NY) 26 Gen 6 available for sale, 25 of them are 2018 models.

https://www.hertzcarsales.com/certif...50c618e8c1.htm

So truly skeptical about GM not selling Camaro to fleets, as they are available for sale from the major rental places.

CamaroSS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #63
CamaroSS50

I don't know.

What I do know is that it is amazing that wherever I go with my Camaro, people from valet to those driving exotics ask what it is.

I say Camaro, and they are surprised they are still made after drooling over it.

Zero brand awareness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
It floods the market, cheapens the brand, and there isn't much profit in it, but there is good and bad from it.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #64
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
what? who amongst us saw this coming?!
I sure did from day 1, ugly ass refresh with nothing good except the 10 speed auto in the SS. A total waste of time. Camaro should have just left the car alone body wise, put the 10 speed auto behind the complete line up, give the LT1 a HP bump, take out some content to make every model less money and compete head to head with the mustang price wise or just a tad cheaper.. Bingo, we have a winner
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #65
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
Quote:
If anyone has been paying attention to GM lately, they are laying off some 4,300 white collar employees. Really feel for them.

Check out this forum (don't participate, these folks are having a hard time)

https://www.thelayoff.com/general-motors

Per them, GM is claiming to be moving to becoming a tech company, not a car company.

While mass firing, the UAW employees each saw $11,000 in bonuses.

As for fleet sales, it is a shell game, regardless of each of the car companies.

In the past, a car company would sell the car to the rental co., usually at a steep discount. Done when they faced huge overstock.

Then they would lose more money, buying back the vehicle, this time at inflated prices.

In recent years that has changed. Regardless, GM sold their Impala's etc.

Not sure how we know that Camaro is not sold to fleets, as you can find many used 2017 Camaro's being sold by Enterprise.

https://www.enterprisecarsales.com/l...maro-Renton-WA

https://www.enterprisecarsales.com/l...o-Roseville-CA

https://www.enterprisecarsales.com/l...ro-Stockton-CA

Hertz car sales (500 miles NY) 26 Gen 6 available for sale, 25 of them are 2018 models.

https://www.hertzcarsales.com/certif...50c618e8c1.htm

So truly skeptical about GM not selling Camaro to fleets, as they are available for sale from the major rental places.
Did you read this regarding GM's evaluation?
https://seekingalpha.com/article/423...entire-company
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #66
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
I don't know.

What I do know is that it is amazing that wherever I go with my Camaro, people from valet to those driving exotics ask what it is.

I say Camaro, and they are surprised they are still made after drooling over it.

Zero brand awareness.
I don't think you'll find anyone here to believe that...

I've not had one time anyone has not known what I drive or that they still make them. It's one of the most recognizable models made today. Kids, older people, women, everyone instantly knows what the car is even if they haven't seen the current generation. And nobody drools at the car. It's just a Camaro.
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #67
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:

I've not had one time anyone has not known what I drive or that they still make them. It's one of the most recognizable models made today. Kids, older people, women, everyone instantly knows what the car is even if they haven't seen the current generation. And nobody drools at the car. It's just a Camaro.
I've found over the years that people that don't recognize the car simply don't know cars.

Yes, it's a great looking, dramatic car. So I'm sure that CamaroSS50 is getting that response, but not at Cars and Coffee.

But GM as a whole has a brand awareness problem, it's not just the Camaro.

Wait 10 years when just like our phones, our cars are coming from China too. Unless "somebody" starts to be tough on trade with China and the ROTW.

BTW, how many people know Volvo is a Chinese company? Rover and Jaguar are Indian companies?
Old 02-09-2019, 08:38 AM   #68
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
One of the reasons GM has backed off on fleet sales is to protect the residual value of the cars and trucks. This allow for lower lease payments which also helps retail sales.

Essentially they are competing with themselves by putting too many units into the fleet.

What it does do is spread the development cost over more units which also helps profitability per unit and helps negotiate piece price with suppliers based on higher volumes.

But overall, you have to find the right balance of fleet vs. retail.

Remember the Chevy Captiva SUV? Basically the Chevy version of the Saturn VUE. The sole reason for that vehicle existed was to sell to rental fleets and protect the residual value of the Equinox.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #69
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
BTW, how many people know Volvo is a Chinese company? Rover and Jaguar are Indian companies?
Not too surprised but wasn’t aware. Knew about Jaguar but not Land Rover or Volvo.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:22 PM   #70
CamaroSS50

Wasn't posted to have you believe or disbelieve.

It is fact.

I have had the vehicle a short time, but in that time whether it was valet at a hotel in LA, Universal Hollywood, 5 star places in LA, Barton G, etc. The vehicle is complimented and asked what is it. Then, if there is time, they ask "what year? Oh, I didn't know they still made them."

A few weeks back was at some speed zone place, parked it as far away so it would not be around other cars. As I walked through the parking lot to the entrance, no less than 3 different people asked me what kind of car I had.

They loved the sound of it, but had NO IDEA it was a Camaro.

So, in my personal experience, from valet guys who park everything from Lambo's to Bentley's have asked what it is. Person on the street same thing.

Quote: