Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-27-2019, 12:41 PM   #1
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Drives: Camaro
Question I've searched... but can't find the answer I'm looking for on tires. Please HELP!

Ok, so I'm looking for tires to put the power down in a straight line (550rwtq) on the street. I don't care about cornering at anything over 20mph so that isn't a concern. I don't drive in the rain, so that isn't a concern, I won't be driving at anything over 100-120mph (that would be very rare and very short lived), I don't care if they only last 5,000 miles, because I drive it about 300 miles a year, and I don't care if they are noisy. I just want them to stick to the street from a dig without spinning.

My choices that I have narrowed it down to in no particular order (Unless someone else has experience with something in a 285/35 size or very close to that.) I will be keeping the stock SS 20x9.5". Recommendations welcome! I couldn't find a drag radial around the size I'm looking for other than the MT Streets S/S, and I don't know that they would do great on the street from all I've seen and read. More of a track tire. Same with Hoosier R7's.

So....
Toyo R888R
Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

Out of those 3... which will give the best grip from a stop? (The tires its came with are Sumitomo HTR Z III's and they spin for days feathering the throttle from digs up to 30mph rolls)

Thanks everyone!
Altered Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:44 PM   #2
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
You drive less than 300 miles a year, never in the rain, never corner, straight line only, and 99% of the time never above 100 or 120? Do you just drive to church and back? Lol
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
98_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
I love my MPS4Ss. I'm running a stock setup, but they rarely lose grip off of a launch. That said, they're definitely more of a daily tire than straight performance. Why not grab a set of Nittos if you're not worried about noise, rain, or wear?
2016 Summit White 2SS Coupe M6, NPP, & MRC
Now Driving:
2016 Torch Red Corvette 2LT, NPP, MRC
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:22 PM   #4
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares05050 View Post
You drive less than 300 miles a year, never in the rain, never corner, straight line only, and 99% of the time never above 100 or 120? Do you just drive to church and back? Lol
Who cares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Camaro View Post
I love my MPS4Ss. I'm running a stock setup, but they rarely lose grip off of a launch. That said, they're definitely more of a daily tire than straight performance. Why not grab a set of Nittos if you're not worried about noise, rain, or wear?
Awesome, thank you! I looked at the NT05R but the size was too wide, 315 I think. I used the 555r's awhile back and just couldn't get traction in my 01' Cobra making less power.

Edit: I had the 555s, not R's. It was awhile back. My mistake!

Last edited by Altered Carbon; 01-27-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:35 PM   #5
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Read the post. 300 miles is a lot when you are doing 1/4 mile at a time. Which clearly OPs priority. LOL
Old 01-27-2019, 04:27 PM   #6
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
so im guessing Nitto 555R 305/35/20 is out of the question. Cuz that's probably going to be your best bet. The hellcat guys seem to like them. or maybe MT ET street SS 305/35/20. I also was on the fence about this. it was between the R888Rs and the 555R. I went with the 555R due to price and hooking better from a dig according to reviews.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:04 PM   #7
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
so im guessing Nitto 555R 305/35/20 is out of the question. Cuz that's probably going to be your best bet. The hellcat guys seem to like them. or maybe MT ET street SS 305/35/20. I also was on the fence about this. it was between the R888Rs and the 555R. I went with the 555R due to price and hooking better from a dig according to reviews.
I could go with the 275/40s Nittos, I just didn't have much luck with them on my 2001 Cobra, but I may have had max psi in them for all I know, that was a pretty long while back when I had them on there.

From what I've seen with the MT S/S is that they seem to shine at the track but not so much on the street. That could just be people on terrible roads though, so I'm not sure on those.

How are the 555r's hooking up with your current setup of 608rwhp/523rwtq? (If you have them on yet)

EDIT: My mistake, I just remembered I had the 555s not the R's. Oops
Old 01-27-2019, 05:15 PM   #8
grampa_ss

they're not on yet. The temps here are in the 20-30's. I and many others recommend just going with the 305/35/20....they do fit on the 9.5 rim.
As far as my numbers...I'm not sure what they really are. Those numbers did not hold up at the track. Highly disappointed. I went with another tuner and it's a totally different car now. Originally...I could feel the car was a little faster..but I wasn't blown away and was seriously regretting getting the procharger instead of a PD system. But now after going with another tuner...the cars feels like a beast. I mean now I can feel the 200 more HP. After my first run datalogging, I actually pulled over and had to catch my breath. I was freaking out as to how much faster the car felt. 6 months of headaches solved in one night.

heading to the track soon. sorry to ramble.

Last edited by grampa_ss; 01-27-2019 at 05:26 PM.
grampa_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:15 PM   #9
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
they're not on yet. The temps here are in the 20-30's. I and many others recommend just going with the 305/35/20....they do fit on the 9.5 rim.
As far as my numbers...I'm not sure what they really are. Those numbers did not hold up at the track. Highly disappointed. I went with another tuner and it's a totally different car now. Originally...I could feel the car was a little faster..but I wasn't blown away and was seriously regretting getting the procharger instead of a PD system. But now after going with another tuner...the cars feels like a beast. I mean now I can feel the 200 more HP. After my first run datalogging, I actually pulled over and had to catch my breath. I was freaking out as to how much faster the car felt. 6 months of headaches solved in one night.

heading to the track soon. sorry to ramble.
I love hearing stories like that because I've been there too with the exact same thing. Bad tune. It wasn't a 200hp increase, but the original tune.. I was legitimately very upset. Then I decided to get another tuner because I knew it couldn't be right, it felt slower, which may have all just been in my head, but yeah, it certainly wasn't right. New tuner and it felt like a totally different car. I was all smiles. So, I can relate somewhat to how you felt after the fixed tune. Which was awesome.

I didn't know if 305s would fit or not, I think that Nittos normally run a little more narrow anyway. I'll definitely consider them now. I'll be buying whichever tires in March, because like with you, it's currently staying in the 25-35 degree range here and I don't wan't to feel like I'm driving on greased up lunch trays. I've been leaning mostly towards the R888Rs, but I would like to see your track times and hear how they are on the street for sure with the 555Rs. Thank you for for responding with some actual helpful input to my question.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:42 PM   #10
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
305 is too wide for a 9.5" rim. just because i can be put on doesnt mean it should. the manufacture give max min for a reason. 285 is as wide as you can go. 275/40 is almost inch taller. dont know if it would fit how about some 285/30/20 Mickey Thompson ET Streets oem diameter and will fit a 9.5" rim http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/d.../et-street-s-s
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:05 PM   #11
grampa_ss

I haven't heard one negative story on doing so.
The MT 285/30/20 will be about 1 inch shorter than stock and would look too short IMO.
Do some research. Just google nitto 555R 305/35/20 hellcat.org or on this site. Make your own decision.

FYI - you will have to relocate the wiring harness inside the drivers side rear wheel fender well. there's instructions and a video on this site and youtube.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:18 PM   #12
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Read the post. 300 miles is a lot when you are doing 1/4 mile at a time. Which clearly OPs priority. LOL
I did. Go back and read where is saod he RARELY goes over 100 maybe 120 mph. Do you trap under 100 in the 1/4 mile?

Just seems like an odd request for tires unless OP is doing 1/8 mile passes only and that is all the car is for than why bother using anthing other than slicks?
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:16 PM   #13
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Quote:
I did. Go back and read where is saod he RARELY goes over 100 maybe 120 mph. Do you trap under 100 in the 1/4 mile?

Just seems like an odd request for tires unless OP is doing 1/8 mile passes only and that is all the car is for than why bother using anthing other than slicks?
Might need to go back and read it a third time there my man. As I stated, on the street, not at a track. I didn't say anything about running an 8th or a quarter. It's just a great looking and fun car that I wanted to add to my collection and occasionally drive on nice sunny days. The car gets up to 120 quick, however, I have no interest in staying at high speeds for long periods of time. I just want to be able to put the power down when I want or need to and not have to feather the throttle constantly. So, do you have any thoughts on the actual question? As in the tires that I listed. Any recommendations? Or are you just oddly interested in what I do with this car?
Old 01-27-2019, 10:32 PM   #14
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
I think any tire would work for that :P . no rain, no corners, no high hp.. literally any tire should be fine
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote