Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-28-2019, 12:28 AM   #85
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
The pricing is interesting. The traverse is the larger SUV but is priced nearly the same or slightly less depending on the options. What is GMs strategy? Is the blazer supposed to be the sports SUV and the traverse a family hauler?
Old 01-28-2019, 09:23 AM   #86
KCelsius

Drives: 2018 Summit White 1SS 1LE
I still don't understand the saying behind, "I don't want a car built in 'x' country."

In the end, even a car made in the USA, is comprised of parts made from China, Mexico, Korea, etc. (not the US). I see where the car is made as simply assembly. How the car is put together and the fit and finish is dependent on the engineering and in the end, it's sort of like legos where one piece fits into another.
KCelsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:08 AM   #87
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCelsius View Post
I still don't understand the saying behind, "I don't want a car built in 'x' country."

In the end, even a car made in the USA, is comprised of parts made from China, Mexico, Korea, etc. (not the US). I see where the car is made as simply assembly. How the car is put together and the fit and finish is dependent on the engineering and in the end, it's sort of like legos where one piece fits into another.
I think for most, at the very least for myself, this theory is when you shut down 4 factories now all the unemployment vs factories that were already in place. that's kinda the kicker for me, just re-tool the factory that we have. I understand the concept about money, but at 50K for this vehicle that's just a bit bigger than the equinox is very hard for me to swallow. That's like fully loaded Traverse or entry level Tahoe territory.
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #88
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Just priced one out.....$51,000. And you think the Camaro is over Priced? Holy Crap! You can get an XT4 with a year longer warranty and free maintenance for the same price.
XT4 is smaller and doesn't come with the V6 so not exactly apples to apples there.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:35 AM   #89
cignul9

Drives: 50th 2SS MRC A8 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
The lights are like the previous gen Jeep Cherokee light situation. They did it first followed by Kia/Hyundai and now the Chevy.
Funny because people HATED it on the Cherokee. I think it was just a few years ahead of its time.

(full disclosure, I've got a '16 Cherokee Trailhawk that I drive when the weather doesn't suit the Fifty... )
50th 2SS, MRC, NPP, 8A, #991
Join the Club F1FTY Registry!
Add yourself to the registry here.
Read the registry here.
cignul9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:35 AM   #90
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCelsius View Post

No entirely true. The hood, trunk and doors all need to be aligned by the installers so who (what country) is installing makes a difference. For instance, the Chinese are notorious for not being diligent when it comes to assembly.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #91
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredry View Post
I think for most, at the very least for myself, this theory is when you shut down 4 factories now all the unemployment vs factories that were already in place. that's kinda the kicker for me, just re-tool the factory that we have. I understand the concept about money, but at 50K for this vehicle that's just a bit bigger than the equinox is very hard for me to swallow. That's like fully loaded Traverse or entry level Tahoe territory.
Agreed I think that is what really pisses people off.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #92
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Not sure why Mexico is suddenly a problem for people. Go over to the Chevy SS sites and it's celebrated that it was made in Australia and in fact quite a few rebadge it as a Holden.
This. Somehow its a huge problem if something is made in Mexico. Why?
GM is a business. Mexico wisely opened its trade regulations so that manufacturers could export from the country to the rest of the world without much penalty. The Mexican government knows they need manufacturing jobs and that was an easy way to get them. Next, Mexicans are hard working, generally healthy, and labor costs are extremely low. Mexicans may only make $500 per month at the GM plant, but for them that's equivalent to or better than anything else they could do, and at their cost of living, it's' pretty good. Outside of Mexico City, the cost of living in Mexico is extremely low. You can rent an entire house for around 100-150 a month. The workers at GM mexico plants are doing just fine. Labor is cheaper for GM in Mexico, for now. Maybe in 20 years, that won't be the case, but for right now its a smart business decision that enables them to export more cars to more places around the globe. But those decisions are based on political factors, and can change.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:28 PM   #93
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
As long as the cost of labor overseas is lower than the cost of transportation + cost of incremental inventory in transit, products will be made overseas. Mexican labor is 1/4 to 1/5th the cost of US labor, Chinese labor obviously less than that. Tariffs aim to level it out a bit, but really only have a temporary smoothing effect.

Eventually, globalism and income parity will catch up and it will stabilize.... in another 100-200 years.
By then everyone will live in communes and get a daily Rice ration too. Except for the extremely connected wealthy. Mass transit will be the only mode of transportation. Remember, freedom comes at a high price.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:48 PM   #94
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Well this thread went down hill fast. OP buys a nice ride and all we get is BS about price and point of assembly. Anyone here know how to say nice ride, enjoy? Camaro owners esp. Worried about the price going in but they take a major hit in value in one year.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:16 PM   #95
Shanne69

Drives: Drive 2016 2LT V6
Tariffs have played a role in the uptick of cost per vehicle. I work for a US based Automotive Supplier and the Tarrifs have hit us pretty hard. That difference in materials cost has to be paid for somehow. So it shows up on the sticker in the window. They should have line item that’s says Tarrif Upcharge!
Old 01-29-2019, 04:34 PM   #96
Shanne69

Drives: Drive 2016 2LT V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
Well this thread went down hill fast. OP buys a nice ride and all we get is BS about price and point of assembly. Anyone here know how to say nice ride, enjoy? Camaro owners esp. Worried about the price going in but they take a major hit in value in one year.
We still like his nice ride. I as many here stated they are interested in purchasing one as well. I have been at the dealer 3 times looking at it, But I do have sticker shock at $48,434 for the RS! But I’ll have to wait. Even the dealer stated to look in the Spring due to the price. I agree. I may wait until the fall or even next Spring. That price is hefty for me. But I do love the ride! I smiled the whole time I was in it because of how much it looked like the Camaro inside and out. Exactly what 8 was looking for when I bought the 2016 Camaro. Equinox was too small and unappealing and the Traverse was an absolute School Bus.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:08 AM   #97
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanne69 View Post
We still like his nice ride. I as many here stated they are interested in purchasing one as well. I have been at the dealer 3 times looking at it, But I do have sticker shock at $48,434 for the RS! But I’ll have to wait. Even the dealer stated to look in the Spring due to the price. I agree. I may wait until the fall or even next Spring. That price is hefty for me. But I do love the ride! I smiled the whole time I was in it because of how much it looked like the Camaro inside and out. Exactly what 8 was looking for when I bought the 2016 Camaro. Equinox was too small and unappealing and the Traverse was an absolute School Bus.
After living with the Blazer for a week, I've gotta say the ride is very nice. It's a pleasure to drive for an SUV. The vehicle seems very well put together.

I wasn't quite as shocked at the sticker price knowing my Blazer has every option you can get short of accessories.

My wife and I are coming from 10 yrs of GMC Acadias (2009 and 2014). We no longer felt the need for a 7 passenger vehicle. Like you, the Equinox was too small and cheap looking, and the Traverse was essentially exchanging the same vehicle for the Acadia. And before you ask about the Tahoe and Yukon, my wife refused to even consider those models because of size.

In our mind, the Blazer RS offered a sporty appearance, decent gas mileage, and had all the high end features you'd expect on the top-line models. I didn't think a $50K sticker was unreasonable for what we drove home in.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:23 AM   #98
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
After living with the Blazer for a week, I've gotta say the ride is very nice. It's a pleasure to drive for an SUV. The vehicle seems very well put together.

I wasn't quite as shocked at the sticker price knowing my Blazer has every option you can get short of accessories.

My wife and I are coming from 10 yrs of GMC Acadias (2009 and 2014). We no longer felt the need for a 7 passenger vehicle. Like you, the Equinox was too small and cheap looking, and the Traverse was essentially exchanging the same vehicle for the Acadia. And before you ask about the Tahoe and Yukon, my wife refused to even consider those models because of size.

In our mind, the Blazer RS offered a sporty appearance, decent gas mileage, and had all the high end features you'd expect on the top-line models. I didn't think a $50K sticker was unreasonable for what we drove home in.
good to hear. ..and as long as you and your wife likes it, that's all that it matters really. 50K stickers shouldn't surprise me anymore as that seems to be the middle average point for vehicles now days, just a hard pill to swallow I guess.
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote