Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-26-2021, 10:19 AM   #15
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
GM should do it.

My concern is that since the BW LT4 is hand built, I worry about a huge price increase for the 18hp. Unless they just give the standard LT4 the rotor pack, snout, tb and tuning . . .
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:38 AM   #16
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
Porting over some of the tech already developed and in use on the Blackwing seems realistic and at least plausible, especially if it's just suspension and braking systems. Most of the R&D is already a sunk cost. Aren't both cars on the same platform anyway?

I think there are more significant costs to engine revisions so I would be pretty surprised if the Blackwing's drivetrain made it into the ZL1.
They are both Alpha platform but CT5 is Alpha 2. CT5 has the newest global b electrical architecture where Camaro still has the previous global a. Because of this, don't expect any of the electronic upgrades from CT5V BW to make it to Camaro.

Besides, ZL1 doesn't really need any of the suspension or braking upgrades that the BW is getting. It's already going to outperform that car in almost every way because of weight difference.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:39 AM   #17
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
Yea, I think from a technical standpoint it should be a modest lift like other items but I do wonder if it requires rounds of re-validation for transmission, cooling, etc. But I was more thinking does the change require a new round of emissions testing, etc. It's the regulatory costs that I'm worried about.
Those should all be minimal as the engine is already certified in that architecture.

They would already know what margins they had for other areas based on the CT5 V Blackwing work.

I suspect if this wasn't minimal they wouldn't even entertain it. After all, how many more ZL1s will they sell with 18 more HP? If anything, with the Z06 gone it allows GM to have ONE single LT4 build configuration and that has value.
Old 08-26-2021, 10:45 AM   #18
GearheadSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
GM should do it.

My concern is that since the BW LT4 is hand built, I worry about a huge price increase for the 18hp. Unless they just give the standard LT4 the rotor pack, snout, tb and tuning . . .
Just because the BW LT4 is built at Bowling Green, doesn't mean that the same engine for Camaro would be as well. It's also not likely to carry a premium if it were. Remember, there are some 2021 Camaros with hand built LT1 and LT4 engines from BG too.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ght=hand+built
Old 08-26-2021, 11:07 AM   #19
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
That was a much bigger difference. 350 to 400 HP as I recall. 650 to 668 is nice, but 3%?? Also I think the Blackwing LT4 is only up 8 lb ft for torque??

A numbers game to send it out on top.

GTO 350 to 400 was a 15% jump and it was noticeable.

The only thing that would be more likely to hold this up is simply Cadillac needing the LT4 Blackwing to be higher than the ZL1 and not just having a "Camaro engine" under the hood.
Techically it is less, but a twin turbo v8 tuned out can make a crapton of power

"Cadillac Blackwing Engine Info, Specs, Wiki | GM Authority" https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/cadillac/cadillac-engines/cadillac-blackwing-enginar

Being a smarty pants... the title is misleading

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:08 AM   #20
spireland

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
A few people get this.

IF, big IF, GM wanted to do a little something, this is the easiest of all to do.

First, I was told years ago, the easiest swap is with the same engine block/family. With this there is very little packaging or changes to do.

Second, it's within an architecture so they will already know the body is essentially validated by judgment for the slight bump in HP.

This would be the easiest powertrain change GM could do and frankly it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Now some have said why not the LT5. Well that's a much bigger jump in HP and that would require some additional validation the Blackwing LT4 would not. Cooling for one, powertrain durability for another.

And with all that fanfare, if the additional 18 HP is even noticeable at that level, I'd be surprised. A numbers game mostly but GM does not hate the Camaro so showing a bit of low investment love might just happen.
Even with a simple change, its hundreds of thousands in engineering and production documentation changes. Not to say of all of the testing required with the new configuration. This has to be a 7-8 figure change in costs. How many ZL1s did they sell?

Can GM spread that much cost over a low volume trim, on a low volume car?

This sounds really cool though I can't imagine there is any business case to do it.
spireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:10 AM   #21
GearheadSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Techically it is less, but a twin turbo v8 tuned out can make a crapton of power

"Cadillac Blackwing Engine Info, Specs, Wiki | GM Authority" https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/cadi...ckwing-engine/
No one is talking about the Blackwing Engine here. The discussion is that the ZL1 could get the CT5-V Blackwing's LT4. The TT Blackwing engine is dead and isn't going into any Chevrolet, ever. It's not likely to ever be seen in another Cadillac either.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:12 AM   #22
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
No one is talking about the Blackwing Engine here. The discussion is that the ZL1 could get the CT5-V Blackwing's LT4. The TT Blackwing engine is dead and isn't going into any Chevrolet, ever. It's not likely to ever be seen in another Cadillac either.

The title should reflect that , says getting the blackwing. Not the CT5 upgraded LT4

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:13 AM   #23
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:

"Cadillac Blackwing Engine Info, Specs, Wiki | GM Authority" https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/cadillac/cadillac-engines/cadillac-blackwing-enginar

Being a smarty pants... the title is misleading
Keep in mind this article is not insinuating the Cadillac Blackwing V8 is going in the Camaro. GM has already acknowledged it doesn't fit in Alpha. Sadly that engine is DOA. This is taking the LT4 from the CT5 V Blackwing and putting that in the Camaro.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:15 AM   #24
GearheadSS

Quote:
The title should reflect that , says getting the blackwing. Not the CT5 upgraded LT4
Not arguing that. You could also read the article linked though.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:18 AM   #25
FarmerFran

Quote:
Not arguing that. You could also read the article linked though.
I did. I know they get inside info sometimes but they also need to sell stories.

And i asked in another thread a while ago when the CTs were uncovered if the zl1 would see the upgrade. The consensus was yes. I will look for it.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:23 AM   #26
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Just because the BW LT4 is built at Bowling Green, doesn't mean that the same engine for Camaro would be as well. It's also not likely to carry a premium if it were. Remember, there are some 2021 Camaros with hand built LT1 and LT4 engines from BG too.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ght=hand+built
Interesting, I hadn't seen that.
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:51 AM   #27
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
Interesting, I hadn't seen that.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579544

Old 08-26-2021, 02:03 PM   #28
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
It would be more streamlined to make one version of the LT4 (which is not a high production engine to begin with), so this rumor makes sense.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote