Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-13-2019, 12:56 PM   #29
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I think the only significant differences chassis wise are the slightly bigger brake rotors on the ZL1 (the front fascia is just cosmetic). The 1LE is a more aggressive tune of the SS, suspension and anti-sways, magnetic ride, ZL1 fuel pump, eLSD, etc. It probably depends a lot more on price and the fact that the engine on the ZL1 is more setup for the supercharger.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #30
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
The zl1 is obviously more car, more money, more power, more speed, I don't want to sound like I'm ragging on it like the ss 1le is a better car or "hating".

What you said just isn't true handling wise. What 1le are you comparing it to? A 1le you test drove for a short period of time or the ss you put some non 1le but 1le like stuff? The 1le and regular one are very similarly setup chassis and suspension wise on top of the same eLSD. Different tuning for weight and power but mostly same equipment. Unless you prefer the feel of a slightly heavier car with a little more weight on the nose the zl1 handling is not better than the lighter ss 1le.

Ask the guys who tracked their 1le's and now track zl1s or even zl1 1le's, the weight is apparent. On the motortrend gt350r vs zl1 article it's mentioned that the ss 1le handles better than both (not that it's a better car, just handling characteristics). Or better yet take Randy Pobst word on it.

Again if you need the extra power and speed as well as more exotic looks, the zl1 is the way to go for sure, but not for its handling characteristics or it's superior performance besides speed/power.
Agreed!!

The ZL1 and SS 1LE are basically the same car, with the ZL1 just having more power and thus more weight over the front axle and of course increase stiffness in the springs, etc to counter the additional weight.

The SS 1LE has a little quicker and initial turn-in due to less weight over the front axle and the ZL1 will accelerate quicker on the straights (assuming you get full traction and can put that additional power to the ground). To me, it is more fun to have a balanced car that can take full advantage of the power it has at full throttle , than to be bouncing off the traction control system all the way thru the first couple gears, but that's just me.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #31
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
I know, that's what I stated (the same besides suspension tuning for the added weight and different TC and eLSD tuning for the extra power). So besides the acceleration and power there is no other performance advantage to the zl1. By most accounts the lighter less nose heavy ss 1le has better handling characteristics.

Obviously the zl1 is better suited and factory tuned chassis wise for the added weight of a supercharger vs a boosted ss 1le if thats what Lafourche1 was getting at.
yup - agree! As a former class racer w/ NASA, I also maintain that it's way easier to drive a slow car really fast than a fast car really fast... So I wouldn't be surprised until you get up to Randy P. level capabilities you won't go any faster with a ZL1 than a 1LE on a track and very likely will be slower - regardless of the car's capabilities. Just talking road course lap times here.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:37 PM   #32
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
I don't want to start a mine is better than yours thread hijack. Basically, the ZL1 is engineered and is faster in 0-60 | quarter mile | around any road course and has a higher top-end. The ZL1 also has larger front brake rotors, different front fenders (wider) and a different front fascia.

Once again, this is the engineering thing.
Wider front fenders? I've never heard that before, they look the same to me.
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:25 PM   #33
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
The front fenders are wider than the SS 1LE! And the rear spoiler is wider than the 1SS or 2SS!
Old 12-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #34
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecamaro6 View Post
Currently have a 2018 1LE w/ 2SS package. At the time of purchase, I thought 455hp would be enough. Drove a ZL1 this weekend.. and now I really want that added power. But not sure if I’m better off just supercharging my current car.

Thoughts? What would you guys do?
After owning 3 Gen5 Camaors including a twin Turbo 1LE, and a ZL1 as well as a CA6 SS and an A10 ZL1 I sold the ZL1 and probably going with a LT1/LT1 next.

The NA V8 Camaro is a performance sweet spot. For around $40K you can get one of the best performance values on the planet. World class handling and low 12 second 1/4 capability is still fast enough to thrill. And I have had much more thrill than that. Diminshing returns. You cannot safely use ZL1 performance or more at all on the street and you better know what you are doing to track it.

More power is a never ending quest, but you need to burn big money to get it. And once you have it do you still enjoy the car as much? Do you like driving the cae as much or worry about your warranty?

OP your 1LE is not really set up for the drags, but if you bolt on the SC your SC can easily be faster than a stock ZL1. You may not like it as much.

So if you can get mid $30ks for your SS you could buy a lightly used ZL1. This winter they will be avaiable in the high $40sK. Just about the sticker price of your SS. Much smarter than throwing away $8K on your SS and ending up with a car with no powertrain warranty, one worth about the same as a stock SS 1LE, and a car you might not like driving as much.

The LT1 in the Camaro is a sweet spot, just like the warm porrige. I have sampled them all.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:07 PM   #35
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I think the only significant differences chassis wise are the slightly bigger brake rotors on the ZL1 (the front fascia is just cosmetic).
Actually the fenders and front fascia provide more cooling / air flow to the ZL1 radiators. That is why the front end, of the ZL1, wasn't touched during the refresh.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:11 PM   #36
LT4Greg

Yes Fraxum I agree with you on buying a used ZL1 instead of putting $8000-$10,000 on the SS 1LE and then voiding the power train warranty! Of course to each his own!
Old 12-13-2019, 06:10 PM   #37
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Actually the fenders and front fascia provide more cooling / air flow to the ZL1 radiators. That is why the front end, of the ZL1, wasn't touched during the refresh.
Because it needs the extra cooling due to the extra heat in generates. Zl1s has impressive air flow for all the heat exchangers.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #38
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
I don't want to start a mine is better than yours thread hijack. Basically, the ZL1 is engineered and is faster in 0-60 | quarter mile | around any road course and has a higher top-end. The ZL1 also has larger front brake rotors, different front fenders (wider) and a different front fascia.

Once again, this is the engineering thing.
So again, only power and acceleration are it's performance advantages. You can say it's an engineering thing all you want but the only suspension and chassis engineering differences are to make up for the extra weigh over the nose. The wider fenders and grill have no bearing on performance, just style and cooling for the extra heat from the supercharger. Bigger brakes don't mean much when it actually doesn't brake better, about the same or worse according to MT and C&D.

It's engineered to be faster 0 to 60 and quartermile lol.. no duhh it has 200 extra horsepower. Really it's after the quarter mile where it really smokes the ss 1le, at the 1/4 it's only 3 to 5 tenths quicker comparing m6 to m6, not that amazing for an extra 200hp.

You're not trying to make it a my car is better than yours comment, yet you're trying to spin it as if the zl1 had anything over the ss 1le besides the power from the lt4 motor. That's it's performance advantage, horsepower. To use your word, the ss 1le has the same handling engineering (FE4 suspension) just on a lighter car.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:53 PM   #39
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
All true but the main reason they are wider is for wider tires which is another difference from the SS 1LE.

I'm also not following those saying the SS 1LE is "basically" the same as the ZL1. The entire drive train is different and the only way the 1LE makes up the difference on any track is the driver mod.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:59 PM   #40
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
All true but the main reason they are wider is for wider tires which is another difference from the SS 1LE.

I'm also not following those saying the SS 1LE is "basically" the same as the ZL1. The entire drive train is different and the only way the 1LE makes up the difference on any track is the driver mod.
entire drivetrain? I guess the A10. M6 is same either way. Rear diff is same either way. So motor only changes in manual and motor / trans changes in auto. Which is most of the drivetrain in that case - I'll give you that!
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:21 PM   #41
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
entire drivetrain? I guess the A10. M6 is same either way. Rear diff is same either way. So motor only changes in manual and motor / trans changes in auto. Which is most of the drivetrain in that case - I'll give you that!
M6 has different gearing in the Z. Even the A10 is upgraded from the A10 in the SS. Rear end beefed up axles with coolers. Not sure about the 6th Gen, but the 5th ZL1s have the engine mounted further back too.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:30 PM   #42
LT4Greg

I agree with you Mike Lee about the differences of the ZL1 and the SS 1LE!