Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-29-2019, 07:34 AM   #15
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
They can't keep up with the power grid as it is. Gonna have blaclouts all around the USA when they mandate this nightmare. If you want an electric vehicle buy one but don't regulate it into existence. Let the free market decide, not some climate alarmist with his head up his carbon footprint.
The best estimates suggest 25% of sales in 10 years so this isn’t a cliff event. They aren’t being regulated other than it is A solution to CAFE standards which can’t be met otherwise.

My problem is PAYING $7,500 in a tax rebate to incentivize. I’d rather see them raise fuel taxes but that’s a different more heated discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Those pushing for electric vehicles for climate reasons are obviously one level thinkers. It's the old saying, "every problem has a solution, and every solution has a problem".

While there are many means by which to generate electricity, coal still remains at the top. The other major, reliable way to create massive amounts of power is nuclear, but the greenies want to kill that as well.

But deeper, let us talk about the mining of the rare metals that are required to create these batteries. So, even IF we solved the coal problem, we just take all those earth strippers and move them to mine the metals.

And finally, we all know that batteries do not last forever. At some point, these batteries will need to be replaced. So, exactly what happens to the old batteries? Where do we bury those? And how will that affect the planet?

When it comes to mandating electric vehicles, it kind of sounds like a story about frying pans and fires.
There is no clear and easy solution. If there were we’d have it now.

Coal remains cheap and you can locally address emissions.

Here is a thought, there are 80,000,000 vehicles on the road with emissions levels at least 20 years old. They aren’t the prime vehicles Driving the most miles but get 20 year old beaters off the road. As an example, in Japan, it used to cost so much money to plate a 3 year old car it was cheaper to buy a new one. 3 year old cars was a major export from Japan.

Again no easy answer. But technology will, as usual, sort this out.

I’m not a climate alarmist, but I also know doing what we do today may not work in the future. We can do better and we should when and where we can.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:38 AM   #16
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead79 View Post
I’m no Luddite. This is the future. The V8 rumble will be missed, but on the other hand.... No power loss at high altitudes.
Make sure that an electric Camaro is what you really want.

I suggest heeding your own advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead79 View Post
Make sure you get the car you want, not just what seems logical. When you're talking sports cars, pony or muscle cars, it's as much an emotional decision as a financial one.

I made the mistake 3 years ago of letting logic dictate my getting an Ecoboost Mustang when I wanted a GT.

Norm
Old 11-29-2019, 10:36 AM   #17
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
The best estimates suggest 25% of sales in 10 years so this isn’t a cliff event. They aren’t being regulated other than it is A solution to CAFE standards which can’t be met otherwise.

My problem is PAYING $7,500 in a tax rebate to incentivize. I’d rather see them raise fuel taxes but that’s a different more heated discussion.

Here is a thought, there are 80,000,000 vehicles on the road with emissions levels at least 20 years old. They aren’t the prime vehicles Driving the most miles but get 20 year old beaters off the road. As an example, in Japan, it used to cost so much money to plate a 3 year old car it was cheaper to buy a new one. 3 year old cars was a major export from Japan.

I’m not a climate alarmist, but I also know doing what we do today may not work in the future. We can do better and we should when and where we can.

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:15 AM   #18
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Only thing I don't get is why they want to call it a Camaro.
Makes perfect sense to me. Camaro is a halo car, so why not piggyback your hopes for a successful small electric car on a name with performance heritage? Volt II ain't gonna work.
I really think we are not going to know the true direction of any 7th gen Camaro until after the next election.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:25 AM   #19
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
If it won’t be gas, won’t have a V8, and won’t offer a stick just retire the name. Call it a Malibu!

Call me all the names in the book, I’m not having it. Call me a Neanderthal, dragging my knuckles into the future, I don’t care. Until I die I will only drive 3 pedal stick with either a V6 or V8 and NO turbos, superchargers, or electric/alternative/hybrid assist. And I’m 42 in reasonably good shape on no prescriptions.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:42 AM   #20
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroChriSS View Post
It’s the way the industry is moving. I’d miss the V8 rumble, but the electric performance has the potential to blow the doors off the current cars. Definitely better to have an all electric Camaro than no Camaro, and if they get the look right it could be a huge win.
You are thinking of straight line performance only, primarily 0-60 times and even 0-100. The 0-60 times these electric performance cars make are too fast and will make people car sick. I don't mind such fast accelerating cars, but I don't want that to be used as an argument against sub 40K muscle cars that put out 4.0 second 0-60 and low 12 1/4 mile. Those cars are affordable and have a soul.

If everyone is obsessed with 1/4 mile then get ready to for everything for to become all electric due to the obsession with straight line performance metric. Performance should not be determined in that fashion. There are many great performing cars that don't get anywhere near close to those 0-60 times or 1/4 mile times such as the Veloster N, Golf GTI, WRX STI, etc....

So as I said, if you're in favor of electric cars for straight line performance I don't mind that at all, but to have that as a reason why Camaro should go electric is something I don't really agree with. And I hope muscle car guys chill out with the 1/4 mile obsession since the manual and V8 ICE is going to disappear since the big three can easily optimize all electric Mustangs/Camaros/Challengers to deliver great 1/4 mile times.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:48 AM   #21
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
If it won’t be gas, won’t have a V8, and won’t offer a stick just retire the name. Call it a Malibu!

Call me all the names in the book, I’m not having it. Call me a Neanderthal, dragging my knuckles into the future, I don’t care. Until I die I will only drive 3 pedal stick with either a V6 or V8 and NO turbos, superchargers, or electric/alternative/hybrid assist. And I’m 42 in reasonably good shape on no prescriptions.

Agree with you, might as well make it a new sports car. With electric you are just going to buy the car for looks/handling. With electric there will not be much to differentiate between other cars.

With ICE you go for the Camaro for the 6.2L and the Mustang for the 5.0 and the Challenger for the 6.4. Along with the superchargers.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:15 PM   #22
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Those pushing for electric vehicles for climate reasons are obviously one level thinkers. It's the old saying, "every problem has a solution, and every solution has a problem".

While there are many means by which to generate electricity, coal still remains at the top. The other major, reliable way to create massive amounts of power is nuclear, but the greenies want to kill that as well.

But deeper, let us talk about the mining of the rare metals that are required to create these batteries. So, even IF we solved the coal problem, we just take all those earth strippers and move them to mine the metals.

And finally, we all know that batteries do not last forever. At some point, these batteries will need to be replaced. So, exactly what happens to the old batteries? Where do we bury those? And how will that affect the planet?

When it comes to mandating electric vehicles, it kind of sounds like a story about frying pans and fires.
That's like explaining to a vegetarian how much wildlife is killed by farmers every time they plow a field.

Let's be honest it makes white women feel better while they're texting and driving while carefully avoiding the crime-ridden neighborhoods endemic to democrat voting districts.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:46 PM   #23
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
There's a reason the site can't be linked. The Camaro6 moderators censor "c a m a r o n e w s . c o m" because it's a fake news site.

As others stated, here are the source images from way back in 2013.
https://www.coroflot.com/designtwodr...test-GM-Camaro
Well lethal garage has a video, so these pictures must mean something....well for the next couple of days anyways. It's sad really that people are so desperate and are grasping at and for anything with regards to camaro news, even if it's B.S.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:47 PM   #24
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

CAFE standard is nothing more than a number pulled from some wild eyed fanatic's backside. Their intent may or may not be for "the good of mankind" but who is one man to tell another how to live. Keep your own side of the street clean and what the other guy is doing is none of your business.
Last I knew was that I'm an American who was blessed with Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. There is much to be gleaned from those simple words. I'm not one for getting in the line headed to the slaughter house by
someone who stands to profit from the event. I'm a free man after all. The Cash for Clunkers scam was the greatest affront on our society in history.
I'll say it one more time... There will come a day when someone is going to start screaming about the negative effects electric vehicle on our planet. It is inevitable. Just as we've come from Covered Wagons to Cars and Trucks, we will evolve to some other form of transportation without the help of Adolf Hitler or any others of his type. Pollution is something entirely different but from what I'm witnessing there is never going to be an end to the underlying scam.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:32 PM   #25
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Real or not the conversation about a future Camaro is always worth having.

If the 7th gen Camaro can be engineered in a way that allows for electric and gas powered options I think that would be the way to go. The new Chevy electric car would benefit by having the Camaro name attached and having a V8 option (with a manual transmission) would cater to the traditional buyer. Listen I'm not the least bit excited about an electric car but if that powertrain option allows the Camaro to live on then I'm all for it. As long as they don't make it an SUV/CUV ... or what that segment should be called DUD.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:34 PM   #26
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingHawk View Post

Agree with you, might as well make it a new sports car. With electric you are just going to buy the car for looks/handling. With electric there will not be much to differentiate between other cars.

With ICE you go for the Camaro for the 6.2L and the Mustang for the 5.0 and the Challenger for the 6.4. Along with the superchargers.
That's exactly what I've been saying and people either don't get it or don't listen.

Electric motors are all the same. Once the production of them reaches a low cost point, you will have $18,000 Kia hatchbacks with the capability of 0-60 in 3 seconds, and a charge rate of 20 minutes to go from 0-350 miles of driving distance. The electric motor itself hasn't changed, and it cannot change, since Tesla himself invented it 120+ years ago.

The day the Camaro goes electric is the day it looses it's soul, history, heritage, and reason for existence.

It sickened me when Barra appointed Al Op to head the electric vehicle fleet design. The writing is on the wall. That's why I'm getting mine now.

It's going to be my everyday driver, that's part of the point. Why buy a car that's fun to drive - the way driving was meant to be - if you need to keep it under lock and key for fear of it's demise in the future?

If I have to hold it together with duct tape and super glue for 40 years till I die then so be it.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:51 PM   #27
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
the pics are old and it looks like they got resurrected by someone trying to stir up the pot.
that said, all signs do point to an all electric camaro for 2025. And I wouldn't be surprised if some of the ideas in those concept sketches influence the design.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:43 PM   #28
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I'd love an electric Camaro... But I also think gm's connection with dealers and the need to keep buyers going to them for service will continue to drive their anti right to repair agenda by further integrating parts that don't need to be and locking them down in proprietary tech and subscription services.

So whether it is electric or gas or hybrid... We'll all be more screwed than we are now... Because if emissions laws don't finally reach the more care free states to allow them to keep us dangerous citizens from tampering with cars, they'll use safety anti hacking laws and such to keep people from altering the car... And to keep people from repairing them except dealerships and the few who can shell out the money.

The future is certainly electric and the sooner the better... But it is also still very anti customer... And I don't see any evidence of that changing anytime soon. We're all too busy caring about presidential elections when the people who make and pass laws sneak quietly by and get reelected by old people
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote