Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-04-2020, 08:58 AM   #183
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
What concerns me is if the auto industry goes all electric eventually then what will become of gasoline? Will it be priced out of existence? Maybe $10.00 or more a gallon? Will people be charged an extra tax for driving gasoline powered vehicles? And will the government make it mandatory that all gas and diesel vehicles be bought and destroyed by the Federal government? I have yet to see many replies to these questions as most everyone seems to think we will be able to keep our vehicles and find gas to put in them!
Old 01-04-2020, 09:06 AM   #184
Quix

Drives: 2016 2LT V6 Garnet Red
I dunno, electricity is a lot cheaper than gasoline here in Canada, so I might buy an electric Camaro. But I'm cheap and like the lower maintenance requirements of an electric car.

I doubt Camaro will be electic-only any time soon, hybrid maybe, or a spin-off like that wierd Mustang-branded crossover. But if it's either discontinued or electric, I'd prefer electric.
Quix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:32 AM   #185
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
What concerns me is if the auto industry goes all electric eventually then what will become of gasoline? Will it be priced out of existence? Maybe $10.00 or more a gallon? Will people be charged an extra tax for driving gasoline powered vehicles? And will the government make it mandatory that all gas and diesel vehicles be bought and destroyed by the Federal government? I have yet to see many replies to these questions as most everyone seems to think we will be able to keep our vehicles and find gas to put in them!
You will likely be dead before that happens. The only way it gets to that point is if the climate alarmists are correct and we simply need to shut down every carbon emitting form of energy.

There are something like 300 million cars in the US alone. Replacing them at 100% of new car sales would take 20 years. And EVs are a small fraction of car and truck sales today. Add them all up and you might have 500,000 our of 15 million plus sales. less than 3%.

There are a ridiculous number *10s of millions) of cars 20 years or older that pollute at a much higher level than todays cars, or even 5 year old cars. Like him or not, that's the President's play. Stop making new cars so expensive so people can afford to more easily replace the older cars on the road, which is, factually, environmentally sound. You have no idea how much OEMs spend to simply get a another .5 MPG.

The other thing not generally discussed is simply the Geo Political affects of oil in the global economy. The price of gas is what bankrupted GM. Going all or mostly EV takes that risk off the table.

Just remember 100 plus years ago, people were never going to leave the good old reliable horse.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:08 AM   #186
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
^^ One more vote for a “Like” button.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:18 PM   #187
douglas2742

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroChriSS View Post
It’s the way the industry is moving. I’d miss the V8 rumble, but the electric performance has the potential to blow the doors off the current cars. Definitely better to have an all electric Camaro than no Camaro, and if they get the look right it could be a huge win.

Not me. The V8 exhaust sound trumps acceleration and top speed in my book. I've done a lot to my '17 SS, but not the engine. 0-60 in 3.9 sec is more than enough, but I use my paddles 95% of the time to keep the revs high and in the "goldilocks" zone of that incredible exhaust music!
1SS, Recaro seats, A8 w/paddle shift extensions, NPP, Magnuson 2300 supercharger, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust and x-pipe, factory handling kit, Phastek lowering springs, Alpine sound system w/JL sub, Lexani custom 21" wheels, Michelin Super Sport 4S tires, Bigwormgraphix striping, Chevy Performance Brembo big brake kit, darkened taillights and Remin carbon fiber dash kit.

douglas2742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:11 PM   #188
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Just remember 100 plus years ago, people were never going to leave the good old reliable horse.
Horses didn’t make the sweet rumble of a small block, or the snapping yelp of a Lamborghini V-12 48 valve, or even a flat head..... some nicely tuned 1930’s era Ford flatheads with Offenhauser valve covers sound better than just about anything period.

Even the staunchest die hard horse owners ditched their 4 hooves when they first heard a ‘32 Ford.

Electric motors don’t even make horse noises.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:01 PM   #189
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Horses didn’t make the sweet rumble of a small block, or the snapping yelp of a Lamborghini V-12 48 valve, or even a flat head..... some nicely tuned 1930’s era Ford flatheads with Offenhauser valve covers sound better than just about anything period.

Even the staunchest die hard horse owners ditched their 4 hooves when they first heard a ‘32 Ford.

Electric motors don’t even make horse noises.
When you realize the only thing that’s better about your car is the way it sounds.............

Again I’m not running out to buy an EV, and I have friends at multiple companies going to work everyday working on ICE programs. But there is no technology leap coming that gets to the 55 mpg CAFE standard. It’s just smaller, lighter cars with tiny engines, NONE of which are capable of making the wonderful noises you refer to. AFM, Start/Stop, 3 cylinder turbo engine (GM has one launching in the US in a couple of months. But there are giant gains to be made with EVs. Tons of money getting spent on faster charging, cheaper batteries with more range. Once you have a car that is faster, handles as well and the difference is paying $1,500 for sound effects.

I used to love being in a parking deck and revving my SS sedan to just hear that LS3. Mmmmmmmmmmm. So I get exactly where you are coming from. But in time, maybe 3 to 5 years out an ICE powered Camaro will simply be an inferior product other than the sounds.

All that being said, I just saw this.

https://apple.news/AaQeJEMHeTu2y4gv6CafaRg

Oooooooops.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:54 AM   #190
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
This is such a boss, keen, neato idea! Should be perfect and just in time for the Millennial - Generation Z, generation. I bet these cars will be self driving too. They can then read the paper and drink coffee as they drive to work in their performance 12 speed auto trans and 500hp cars. Sounds like a blast!
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:26 AM   #191
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
The only time you will see me driving an electric Camaro is when I buy a 68 Camaro SS 396, pull the engine out and convert it to all Electric.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:04 AM   #192
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
EVs could at some point replace ICEs. But we will have at 10+ years before EVs are at a technological point where they can outclass ICEs and are suitable for everyone.

At some point in the future they will have huge ranges, short recharge times, fair prices and even for sound the carmakers will come up with something exciting (yet different than ICE sound).

But to be honest, exciting sounding cars are already a niche, so for most regulars cars people won't care about sound or even be glad when the car is quiet. And a lot of people are happy with fake speaker sounds now too (it's in like every 4cyl sportscar), so they will surely adept to fake EV noises.

Take a look at the Camaro7 engine survey. They put EV and ZL1 at same performance for the same price and i would actually have a really hard time to decide which one would my choice. Sound on the V8 will be amazing, but the EV would be way more efficient when driven in normal traffic and the instant torque should be really fun.

Quote:
Don't read too much into the first month of the EQC. Mercedes has a huge interest in delivering the cars in Europe in 2020 and not 2019, because of the insane taxes the carmakers have to pay since 2020 for their fleet emissions. So every EV in 2020 can save them a lot of money since theycount as 0g CO² to their fleet.
Audi e-tron is selling pretty fine and is pretty much the same car. Also preorder numbers for reasonable priced EVs like ID.3 are crazy, the Mach-E First Edition is also already sold out.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:36 AM   #193
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
The only time you will see me driving an electric Camaro is when I buy a 68 Camaro SS 396, pull the engine out and convert it to all Electric.
The only time you will see me driving an electric anything is if that's the only mode of transportation when we go to the pearly gates. Even then, I'll request an ICE Camaro if the man upstairs is taking requests.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:10 AM   #194
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroChriSS View Post
It’s the way the industry is moving. I’d miss the V8 rumble, but the electric performance has the potential to blow the doors off the current cars. Definitely better to have an all electric Camaro than no Camaro, and if they get the look right it could be a huge win.
I happened across these two comments earlier this morning. More than just the V8 rumble is at risk for going away.

E36M3 is that forum's conventional euphemism for $hit. Dave Marcus won the SCCA's B Street Solo National category driving a Tesla.

Quote:
Just saw a post on Comment from David Marcus on Facebook..
"I didn't love autocrossing the Telsa, and mine got retired from autocross right after Nationals. It accelerates like nothing I've ever felt, but corners like E36M3. Its the polar opposite of a miata and I'd rather autocross a Miata"...
and
Quote:
That's the thing. Admittedly I've only flogged a performance version Tesla 3 once. The acceleration was a cool parlor trick for 15 minutes or so, but the thing never stopped feeling heavy. That's not fun. Even if you can teach a pig to dance, she probably still won't be much of a partner.

Norm
Old 01-06-2020, 09:13 AM   #195
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
When you realize the only thing that’s better about your car is the way it sounds.............
That's not the only thing, except perhaps for those who prefer sluggish handling. See the post above.

Norm
Old 01-06-2020, 12:58 PM   #196
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Speaking of rare Fords, and I know this is a 6th gen Camaro forum but I'm an enthusiast of ALL cars (and before you say it, no, electric cars aren't for enthusiasts)......

That's a rare '78 Police Interceptor 500 460 with straight pipes and cat delete.

I don't care what you drive, if that doesn't make your glandulars in your neck tingle you're just in the wrong forum. The electric fanbois have their own enthusiast forums where you can kibitz all you want about how your silent spinning magnet coils blow the doors off of any gasoline engine.