Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

Phastek Performance

Old 11-27-2019, 08:27 PM   #1
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Trading a car you own for a new one. Title question

I recently traded in my old 02 SS for my new SS 1LE. When I did I didn't yet have the title, but got it about a week and a half later. The thing is, is that the dealer wants me to send it to them, but not to sign it.

WTF? That make zero sense to me. Does this sound right to anyone? If so why wouldn't they want me to sign the title over to them for a car I traded in on one I bought from them?
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:34 PM   #2
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Yes it makes sense if you signed a power of attorney document when you were finalizing the deal. Beyond that it makes no sense.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:14 PM   #3
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
If you sign it, then they have to title transfer it to them and pay the taxes for it. If you don't, then they can resell it (wholesale probably), without paying or charging taxes. This is done on dirtbikes and motorcycles quite a bit at dealers.

https://blog.suretysolutions.com/sur...t-on-the-title
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:17 PM   #4
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
The more I think about it, I bet someone close to the dealer or even an employee wants your car and they are going to wholesale directly to them. That would make sense. That way the next party can buy it with cash and not pay taxes to the dealer at the normal rate.
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:23 PM   #5
Johnny6.1

Drives: Camaro 1SS 1LE
As previously stated if you signed a power of attorney they can essentially endorse it for you. Depending on the state, some titles have a few different lines to sign on. If you sign on multiple lines or in the wrong spot, it causes headaches for dealers. Hope this helps
Johnny6.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:38 AM   #6
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Okay, thanks guys.

So if I don't sign it like they wish then I'm not doing anything illegal, or something that could turn around and bite me on the butt?

BTW I know if I've signed a power of attorney. I don't have anything in my paper work saying it's a power of attorney, but maybe that's something they keep and I don't get?

Last edited by JROC; 11-28-2019 at 08:48 AM.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:47 AM   #7
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
Okay, thanks guys.

So if I don't sign it like they wish then I'm not doing anything illegal, or something that could turn around and bite me on the butt?
If there is any doubt on your part, ask them to send you specific WRITTEN instructions of how you should hand over the title. If they are asking you to do something shady, I'm sure they won't put it in writing.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote