Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 10-24-2019, 05:33 AM   #15
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vne182 View Post
That is true. I had an 07 Charger R/T (same car as today's Charger btw) and yes the Camaro is much quicker.

I meant new V8 Mustangs... our nemesis.

I went up against a Challenger A/T last night. I think is was a 16 or 17 didnt get a chance to meet the guy. I looked on wiki for the A/T and what i saw was the 5.7 I think its a non-hemi, maybe? If i saw the specs right its listing 375 HP.

It was a very even race, he edged me by a nose at the last 100 ft or so.

times were slow for everyone, 14.0s x 102s.

for my own info, i was getting throttle pull back in first, the hook ups were fairly good since i do a rolling burn out.

I would say we are a serious threat to most stock v6's and some V8's anyways.

just fyi.

Edit: Correction A/T is a 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T - 0-60 mph 5.1 Quarter mile 13.7

My PB is 5.0 and 13.6

it was dark out.

Last edited by wookwook; 10-24-2019 at 07:13 AM.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #16
raflyer

Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
You need to do one of these 2 things to make the 2.0 make power and survive on stock internals up to 390-400whp Corn fuel mix and or water injection. Add a good tune to make those work and better flowing exhaust and good tires and you will have a 12sec car that is fun reliable and gets great gas mileage
raflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:24 PM   #17
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
E85 conversion is such a tempting thing
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:44 PM   #18
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by raflyer View Post
You need to do one of these 2 things to make the 2.0 make power and survive on stock internals up to 390-400whp Corn fuel mix and or water injection. Add a good tune to make those work and better flowing exhaust and good tires and you will have a 12sec car that is fun reliable and gets great gas mileage
You want 390whp on the camaro safely. Your gonna want E85 I agree. However you don't need all that to have a safe reliable 12sec car i'm running Full Bolt-Ons and 93 Pump Gas and hitting 12.6s at the 1/4 Mile. If you add E85 a bigger turbo and are hitting 390whp and not running 11s you've wasted your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zts1986 View Post
E85 conversion is such a tempting thing
Agree but get a flex fuel conversion it's the only decent way to get it working right. Pick your poison on VT or BNR but VT's been doing it longer on the platform.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:54 PM   #19
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by raflyer View Post

for me anyways, my goal is sub 13.5 on gas. almost there. it'll be while before i mess with fueling if ever. there's so much to learn about ecu tuning, i.e. "HAL 2018". I might be the odd duck, but for some reason, not because of anything in particular, I just don't feel the need to go there at the moment. Most of us don't have access to track info so I post some stuff here for everyone's benefit. There is bracket racing and types of competitive racing that handicaps for the class. No matter what class of HP, competitive racing is still about skill and consistency. I get it about bragging rights, but I'll pass for now. That's just my take.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:18 AM   #20
BlueShadow

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0T 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
The stock turbo is a TD04. It has a unique exhaust flange on the manifold side and the turbine inlet side. As of now, no typical t3/t4 flange style turbo will bolt on. There are a few companies that install a larger compressor and turbine wheel in the stock turbo frame, and you can get an upgraded turbo that utilizes Borg Warner EFR guts from ZZP.

Does anybody make cast turbo manifolds or maybe even tube style manifolds? I was thinking more along the lines of a T3 turbo with a cast/tube manifold with a closed loop external WG setup. But if nobody even makes a manifold for that (i dont feel like finding someone to fab it up for me) or there might be clearance issues then i'd probably just stick to upgrading the stock manifold and stay with the TD family of turbos. For that i would probably hang out on the Eclipse or maybe Evo forums since IIRC they would typically go to larger compressors like 16G, 18G or even 20G (TD04 is the turbine side).

I was supposed to go car shopping the weekend after my initial post but i had to postpone cause i thought i might have to move to a different apartment. Still up in the air on that but the next 3 days i'm gonna go to the dealership and see if i can look at a few maybe even sit inside of one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ2218 View Post
If you are mainly interested in a turbocharged car, make sure you cross shop all the turbo cars in this price range. ie- veloster n, wrx, and yes ecoboost Mustang. EB Mustang will have better acceleration (new ones that is). The main benefit of the camaro to me was it’s chassis not engine. Wrx had oiling problems and stock tune issues. EB Mustang was not a good cornering car. If all you want is acceleration and don’t care about turbo or not, a 2014 Mustang is a good deal, or 5th gen SS. Even used SRT8.

I've already done that, for the past few years actually, and the Camaro is the one i've settled on.
BlueShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:11 AM   #21
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
any 2.0T or V6 camaro will have plenty of power for the street.one of my friends has an SS.other than higher car payments and opening the hood on cruise nights there is very little difference on a public road assuming you wish to keep your DL.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:21 AM   #22
ZZP_Tyler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShadow View Post
Does anybody make cast turbo manifolds or maybe even tube style manifolds? I was thinking more along the lines of a T3 turbo with a cast/tube manifold with a closed loop external WG setup. But if nobody even makes a manifold for that (i dont feel like finding someone to fab it up for me) or there might be clearance issues then i'd probably just stick to upgrading the stock manifold and stay with the TD family of turbos. For that i would probably hang out on the Eclipse or maybe Evo forums since IIRC they would typically go to larger compressors like 16G, 18G or even 20G (TD04 is the turbine side).
There's no one that currently makes one, only custom one off units. I did see a few threads of a guy wanting to start a group buy on FB, but not sure what ever came of that. We have a tubular manifold that has jump around a few LTG's here at the shop, and currently is on Allen's drag car with a BW S257 on it. I've brought up the concept of replicating and selling them through ZZP, but it hasn't got any traction yet. For most people the drop in 6758 that we offer is more than enough, so no need to switch to a different manifold etc.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:20 AM   #23
BlueShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZP_Tyler View Post
There's no one that currently makes one, only custom one off units. I did see a few threads of a guy wanting to start a group buy on FB, but not sure what ever came of that. We have a tubular manifold that has jump around a few LTG's here at the shop, and currently is on Allen's drag car with a BW S257 on it. I've brought up the concept of replicating and selling them through ZZP, but it hasn't got any traction yet. For most people the drop in 6758 that we offer is more than enough, so no need to switch to a different manifold etc.

Hmm...no issues with creep or spikes on the internal WG then? My main reason for asking about the manifold was so i could run an external WG for better reliability. But if the stuff that Camaro turbos typically upgrade to have reliable internal WG's that dont spike/creep a lot then i'd probably consider it. I'm also an old school honda/swap+turbo guy and it was pretty common for us to just get pre-cast or pre-fabbed manifolds and they were almost always for an external WG setup. So i guess its just an old habit me asking for an external WG setup.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:25 PM   #24
Zzsteve

Drives: 2018 2SS
we have used internally gated borg warner turbos (with our custom cast exhaust housings) for YEARS, and have never experienced any sort of creep/spike issues. they are very efficient setups. the factory exhaust manifold on these is actually pretty good, and for the average person, more than sufficient for realistic power goals.
Zzsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:23 AM   #25
BlueShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzsteve View Post
we have used internally gated borg warner turbos (with our custom cast exhaust housings) for YEARS, and have never experienced any sort of creep/spike issues. they are very efficient setups. the factory exhaust manifold on these is actually pretty good, and for the average person, more than sufficient for realistic power goals.

tyvm for the info, i've only ever heard of BW turbos but never actually looked into them.

I also had a general question about 2019-2020 Camaros for anybody that knos. I notice that the '19 and '20 years have a different front bumper from previous years. I prefer the look of the 2015-2018 years but i want a car that has very little or no miles so i would like a 19 or 20. Do the bumpers from the '18 and under bolt right up to the '19 and '20 chassis?
Old 11-01-2019, 08:03 AM   #26
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShadow View Post
tyvm for the info, i've only ever heard of BW turbos but never actually looked into them.

I also had a general question about 2019-2020 Camaros for anybody that knos. I notice that the '19 and '20 years have a different front bumper from previous years. I prefer the look of the 2015-2018 years but i want a car that has very little or no miles so i would like a 19 or 20. Do the bumpers from the '18 and under bolt right up to the '19 and '20 chassis?

They are the same chassis, so yeah everything will physically bolt up, but it would be a TON of work to make it right. I would suggest finding a brand new 18 still in inventory. There are 31 brand new 2.0T 2018 camaros in a 300 mile radius from me. Something like this car here, would be worth a plane ticket out, and nice break in drive back home.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:29 PM   #27
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
They are the same chassis, so yeah everything will physically bolt up, but it would be a TON of work to make it right. I would suggest finding a brand new 18 still in inventory. There are 31 brand new 2.0T 2018 camaros in a 300 mile radius from me. Something like this car here, would be worth a plane ticket out, and nice break in drive back home.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Jeez! I just threw up in my mouth a little. How depressing is that! Same options as mine but 12000 cheaper. Talk about a
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:33 AM   #28
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
Nobody wants to buy fun cars anymore. Everybody just treats them like any other appliance. People get more excited over a Subaru Forester than a Camaro. It’s sad...but helps bring prices down on the leftovers.
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote