Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #15
John J

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0 Turbo
I think i foud out this is a problem of the 2018 model because it has another computer for the motormanagement than the 2017 model.

Ik hope GM will fix this soon with an update or something.

I have been experimenting and i think i have some things you can try to reduce the problem.

1) start the engine and wait for 1 or 2 minutes till the rpm's drop around 1000 rpm or less.
2 start the engine and slightly step on the accelerator pedal till around 3000 rpm.
3) do not drive away slowly but "fast". Not too fast of course because you want to stay friends with the neughbours ;-)

Does someone have an idea if this problem can be baused because of the automatic choke?
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:00 PM   #16
Ray-J

Drives: 2018 2.0t Camaro RS 1LT
This does not seem like a transmission issue the more I think of it you seem to be on track. If I were in an older car I would think it was bad gas or a fuel related issue.

2018 Camaro 2.0t Automatic
Ray-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:49 PM   #17
John J

Two weeks ago my Chevrolet dealer carried out a software update of the motormanagement but unfortunately that did not help. I am now "desperate" and do not know what else I can do. I have read somewhere that tuners maybe can solve the problem but I can't find a tuner anywhere in Belgium or the Netherlands that can do it at the moment.

The only thing I can do is start the car, wait 30 seconds until the speed is just below 1000 and then drive away but I thinks this is not quit normal. But until there is a solution, there is nothing else I can do.

A pitty because I was so happy with my Camaro in the beginning....
Old 10-12-2019, 05:37 AM   #18
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by John J View Post
Two weeks ago my Chevrolet dealer carried out a software update of the motormanagement but unfortunately that did not help. I am now "desperate" and do not know what else I can do. I have read somewhere that tuners maybe can solve the problem but I can't find a tuner anywhere in Belgium or the Netherlands that can do it at the moment.

The only thing I can do is start the car, wait 30 seconds until the speed is just below 1000 and then drive away but I thinks this is not quit normal. But until there is a solution, there is nothing else I can do.

A pitty because I was so happy with my Camaro in the beginning....
Apparently your dealer isn't able to help, since you've had this problem for quite a while. At this point I think remote tuning is an attractive proposition, and the tuner does not have to have physical access to you vehicle. My car was tuned by Jannetty Racing and I know they do remote tuning as well.

I would get a tuning device, say, an HPTuners MPVI2, first, then data log the problem and send it to a tuner for analysis. You'll also need the device to write the tunes sent to you and of course for additional logging while the tune is being developed.

You most likely know this already, but just for the record, writing a custom tune into your ECM technically voids your powertrain warranty here in the US, although in some cases warranty repairs can still be performed at the discretion of the dealership and GM. I'm not entirely sure how this works in Belgium, but I imagine the "rules of engagement" would be very similar.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:53 AM   #19
John J

A few months later.....

Problem is still not solved but i am still getting more and more information.

I am told that the engine in Europe is an existing Opel engine which is tuned for the Camaro 2.0 turbo.
It are probably misfires because the catalyst is cold.
Unfortunately GM is not cooperating and my garage is not allowed to go into the software to adjust some settings, trying to solve the problem. Probably caused by the catalyst heating which means that the misfires are caused because the pre heating of the catalyst is not working properly.

In 3 weeks my garage gets a visit from GM Europa and he will try to convince them to give him permission for adjusting the software.

So..... I have to be patience or go to a tuning company who can "crack te code" to get in the software to adjust.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:31 AM   #20
John J

Finally. After 3 years of abandonment by Chevrolet / GM, the problem is solved. It was a software "problem". A tuner has re-programmed the cold start (catalyst heating). It's a shame that Chevrolet / GM did not want to solve the problem while it was just a simple software adjustment. Unfortunately, that did cost me money (about $ 700), but I am happy that the problem has been solved finally after all these years. Again: a missed opportunity for Chevrolet / GM. I don't know if my next car will still be a Chevrolet / GM .....
Old 01-04-2024, 06:42 PM   #21
carlbowles11

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1lt coupe
engine cuts off and sputters/pops at acceleration

My engine cuts off and sputters/pops at higher acceleration(like when passing another car) and then returns to normal. I have a 2021 Camaro 2.0 turbo with only 9483 miles on it. I am the original owner. I'm retired and had this car for 2 years.
carlbowles11 is offline   Reply With Quote