Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-13-2019, 09:41 PM   #15
IAI80

Drives: 2016 1LT V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Most of the hardcore enthusiasts on here have the V6 or V8 but there really is nothing wrong with the 2.0t. You get 270 hp which is more than enough to keep up in traffic and maybe get you in trouble if you’re not paying attention to the speedometer. This ain’t the old days when an Iron Duke 4 cylinder Camaro was the performance equivalent to being banished to a deserted island.
I thought about what’s wrong with the I4 today filling up at Costco. There I was, filling the V6 with 87 at $2.05 / gallon. If I’d bought an I4, I’d been doing the same thing with premium at $2.35 (sorry on both counts California). What for? The V6 was a $1,500 option if I recall? Among the best $1,500 I’ve ever spent. The sound difference is just an audible reminder of that fact.

Ahh the Iron Duke 4. The engine that helped give the Fiero the fire reputation it never recovered from. I enjoyed the V6 Fiero GT back in the day though.
IAI80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:33 AM   #16
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
They're all good. I'm frankly surprised that a few people on here still don't seem to realize why people buy the 2.0T. Like, really? I have an I4 and I love it, but I can totally see the advantages of the V6 and i'd never try to talk someone out of a V6 just because I own an I4....

Here are the pros and cons of the non V8 engines.

2.0T:
+ cheaper
+ lighter
+ more torque
+ more modding potential

It feels lighter and more nimble, corners better. More tossable. The favorite of autocross people. Randy Pobst owns one. It's the scrappy, underdog engine. Not as refined and smooth as the V6. Most people underestimate it, and then after driving one say "oh, that's why they put this engine in here. I get it now." It's FUN. The LTG, was, afterall, made for the alpha platform in the cadillac ATS. And it feels like it was made for it. Especially the M6. The downside? The powerband is 3-5k and, especially with the M6, you really have to keep it in that band. It has great torque down low, but it falls off after 5k. Some people don't like that. Me personally I don't care, I'm happy to be in 3-5k all day long. Also, 3k in mods will get you significantly faster than the V6. The sound? It's subjective. It doesn't sound like a Honda civic if thats what you are wondering. It sounds like it makes 295lb/ft of torque. It's not weak sounding by any stretch.

V6
+ sounds great
+ smooth linear power band
+ faster from the factory

$1500 gets you more of a premium engine experience, no doubt about it. It sounds more complex. It's way smoother. And the power band is much more linear and pulls all the way to the redline, which the I4 does not. The more "grown up" engine but still way fun. Different character fundamentally than the I4, but just as much fun. Because its a DOHC V6 its obviously heavier than the I4 and I can feel the difference. IT's not huge, but its there. It doesn't feel as nimble around corners as the I4. But on straight-aways, the highway, anywhere where you can rev this engine out, it's really fun to just floor it, no lift shift it all the way to the redline and listen to the engine scream, which is an experience you just won't get in the I4.

Regarding regular vs premium, paying for premium gas means you can have a smaller displacement engine that is lighter in weight, but makes similar power as a larger engine. That's what you are buying when you get premium gas. Both cars will net you similar fuel efficiency, maybe a bit better in the I4, so, in the V6, you'd have to burn around 5000 gallons of fuel (assuming premium is 30 cents more) to make up the $1500 price premium. You might save a couple thousand dollars over the life of the car if you put 200,000 miles on it. If you do a lot of highway miles and the i4 has slightly better mpg, it might truly be a wash. Why people make such a big deal over the cost of premium, I have no clue.

And just a side note, you can usually get I4s way cheaper. Dealers tend to put those on special for sometimes ridiculous low prices like 18 or 19k for a brand new 1LT M6 with 2.0T. While the V6 is only a $1500 option, good luck finding a 1LT V6 for 20k. They're out there but not anywhere close to as common. And many V6 cars have the RS package or other options. Even without options, my observation has been that its difficult to find a V6 for under 24k, whereas its very easy to find an I4. So, that means you probably have a wider pick of cars, colors, if you go I4, depending on your budget.

Just as an example, I got my 2LT (leather heated/cooled seats) M6 2.0T for 22k. It will be difficult to find a 2LT V6 for even close to that price. You could probably find one or haggle. But I literally just looked one up, went to the dealer and walked away with it, it was stupidly simple. They just wanted to move cars, they saw the turbo 4s as like, get them off the lot first, almost like they were resigned to not making much profit off them. I took advantage of that, for sure!

Last edited by protovack; 12-14-2019 at 01:39 AM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:08 AM   #17
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
From me reading the posts on tis forum, most on the forum seem to have SS or better. Regarding performance the I4 is a pretty good and will yield good gas mileage. With any car and engine, it will be how you drive and maintain it. Turbos are a bit more fussy than NA engines but with good maintenance, keep the oil clean you should be fine.

Being near retirement I did not want to get as SS or the I4- as they both require premium gas. I went the V6, M6. I bought mine used with low miles, did a few very tasteful mods. I now have an awesome Camaro, runs on regular gas, nets me 33+ MPG for a total investment of 22K. I could not be more happy with the V6.
I also have a V-6 M6 and since the mpg is only 2 less than the I-4,that difference is made up in the less expensive price for gas. So its a wash as far as I'm concerned. Mine is a DD and after nearly a year of ownership,I 've only had 1 issue and that was a gear shift knob rattle which was quickly repaired on the 1st visit to the dealer last week for my 1st free service.
I mentioned the cost because gas may be an issue for someone who's young.
You may find a deal on a 2019 V-6 if you can find one.
Mine has the NPP exhaust from the factory which IMO sounds great.
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:35 AM   #18
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAI80 View Post
I thought about what’s wrong with the I4 today filling up at Costco. There I was, filling the V6 with 87 at $2.05 / gallon. If I’d bought an I4, I’d been doing the same thing with premium at $2.35 (sorry on both counts California). What for? The V6 was a $1,500 option if I recall? Among the best $1,500 I’ve ever spent. The sound difference is just an audible reminder of that fact.
What for? Well, people tend not to realize what you are getting in exchange for paying for premium gas. What you get is a smaller displacement engine that makes as much power as larger, heavier engines, thus, you get a lighter, cheaper car that feels faster and gets better MPG. Any opinion you place on that is purely subjective
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:36 AM   #19
IceGoaliePaul

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT
When I was shopping I was originally looking to buy an I4 but found a V6 at a good price with all the options I wanted + a few more. Unfortunately the dealer wouldn't let me test drive it as it was in the middle of winter and -20F. I went to a different dealer and found a I4 they would let me test drive. The car felt great to drive. It was fun and quick. Bought the V6 and was actually a little disappointed first time driving it. It didn't feel as quick. Sure when you get it up into higher RPMs it really goes but it's harder to be in that range on city streets. The I4 seemed to much easier to play in its fun RPM range in city driving. I don't regret buying the V6 but I'd love to find someone with an I4 to swap with for a day to make a better comparison now that I have plenty of hours in the V6.
IceGoaliePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:42 AM   #20
IAI80

Drives: 2016 1LT V6 A8
Fair enough. It will be interesting to see how the small displacement turbos that have hit the market the last few years hold up over the long haul. The cheaper to acquire I4 might lead to a rude awakening at resale someday. We’ll see.

https://www.designnews.com/electroni...10258542158513
IAI80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:07 AM   #21
Indy_62

Drives: 2017 2SS / 2003 S10 Crew Cab
My wife drives an ATS with 2.0t. Her previous car was a v6 so I told her she will have to get used to the lower performance of a 4 cylinder. The first time she stomped on the L4 it roared to life and I was amazed. A great performing engine that will surprise many.

Indy_62 is offline   Reply With Quote