Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-07-2019, 05:40 AM   #1
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Shelby GT350 placed 2nd. after the 911 Carrera S on MT's best driver's car

Even that MT just did a great review of the new "base" Shelby GT350 now with Cup tires placing it 2nd best after the Porsche 911 Carrera S on their best driver's car review. I still consider that the Camaro SS1LE is a much better performance car for the $ with its oustanding balanced Alpha platform chassis and the ESLD that makes it a better handling car even with just Summer tires and without forgetting its strong low torque for better DD. Probably the only thing that the Camaro needs to improve is it exhaust sound.
Because of that I'm planning to eventually delete the muffler or the secondary cats of my NPP exhaust. It doesn't have an appealing strong exhaust sound compared to the one on the Mustang GT.

I'm surprised that we never sawed a Shelby GT350 VS the Camaro SS1LE comparison. I think that FOMOCO was very afraid of the upcoming results.

On other hand. I can wait to see a H2H of the new Shelby GT500 VS the Camaro ZL1. I already lost my heart for the C8 Z51. I was expecting a Superb performance test review results, but that wasn't the case, I prefer the Camaro ZL1 performance.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:02 AM   #2
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Even that MT just did a great review of the new "base" Shelby GT350 now with Cup tires placing it 2nd best after the Porsche 911 Carrera S on their best driver's car review. I still consider that the Camaro SS1LE is a much better performance car for the $ with the better Alpha platform chassis and the ESLD that make it a better handling car even with Summer tires and without forgetting its low torque for better DD. Probably the only thing that the Camaro needs to improve is it exhaust sound.
Because of that I'm planning to eventually delete the muffler or the secondary cats of my NPP exhaust. Not enough exhaust noise compared to the Mustang GT.

I'm surprised that we never sawed a Shelby GT350 VS the Camaro SS1LE. I think that FOMOCO was very afraid of the results.

On other hand. I can wait to see a H2H of the new Shelby GT500 VS the Camaro ZL1. I already lost my heart for the C8 Z51. I was expecting a Superb performance test review, but that wasn't the case.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The SS-1LE is a great track performing vehicle and a performance value. A few years back I did take on out for a test drive and was impressed. Chevy did a great job.

The new 2019 GT350 has now bumped up the performance and these changes are why it was awarded 2nd place standing. With my car I am not sure if I will ever bring it to a track to explore its capabilities but I thoroughly enjoy the driving experience I have just driving on the street. The car offers excitement that I didn't find in other models. There is a reason why every review basically says the same thing about this car.

Per M/T
It feels glued to the road, absolutely predictable, and that fabulous V-8 revs forever. Brakes have great bite and stopping power with zero fade. Starchy suspension returns a lot of vertical motion but never at the expense of grip. Be ready for heavy steering and skinny seats, but it's still one of the finest driver's cars on the planet. A fantastic value.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:14 AM   #3
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Ss 1le is a badass ride and probably the best overall performance bargain you can get today. It got 4th place in the BDC in 2017 I believe.

The gt350 is a badass car as well and has certain level of exclusivity and special feeling over most cars in its segment. The 19 updates, and primarily the psc2's have upped it's performance over prior years.

It would be nice to see a comparo between the 2, though the 19+ 350s will have the edge with the tire they have. I'd still like to see it though.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.

Last edited by RobbyBeefcake87; 11-07-2019 at 06:40 AM.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:32 AM   #4
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The SS-1LE is a great track performing vehicle and a performance value. A few years back I did take on out for a test drive and was impressed. Chevy did a great job.

The new 2019 GT350 has now bumped up the performance and these changes are why it was awarded 2nd place standing. With my car I am not sure if I will ever bring it to a track to explore its capabilities but I thoroughly enjoy the driving experience I have just driving on the street. The car offers excitement that I didn't find in other models. There is a reason why every review basically says the same thing about this car.

Per M/T
It feels glued to the road, absolutely predictable, and that fabulous V-8 revs forever. Brakes have great bite and stopping power with zero fade. Starchy suspension returns a lot of vertical motion but never at the expense of grip. Be ready for heavy steering and skinny seats, but it's still one of the finest driver's cars on the planet. A fantastic value.
I LOVE what GM did with the 6th Gen Camaro, and the 1LE is the best bang for buck currently on the market(IMO).

That said, there is a reason it isn't in this conversation. I keep trying to find a word for the difference in the experience and the thrill you get from cars like 911's. I haven't driven one, not like my opinion there matters, but it is clear the 350's provide that same sort of excitement. In the end of the day, this doesnt always have to be a competition, I will likely own a 1LE before a 350 anyway, the value is hard to question, but if money were no object it would be a 350 or more likely a 911 instead.

If you put a higher revving engine than the LT1 in an alpha, something like 7500 RPMS, it likely would have won 1st place in this review. Again, just my opinion, we all like what we like and TQ monsters are awesome too.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #5
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
They picked the C8 over the Carrera S in a separate head to head review

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...n-test-review/
Old 11-07-2019, 08:56 AM   #6
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
'19+ GT350R would be the only Ford I'd consider, but it's too much $$$.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #7
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I think it's obvious that the SS 1LE is one of the greatest performance per dollar cars on the market right now. I don't think anyone can argue you that, GM hit it out of the park on that one.

I agree Ford not wanting to provide a 350 for a test against a SS 1LE is based on fear of results.

I think ST1LE has a great point. The 350 just seems to have that it factor of driving enjoyment. There are better performing cars out there for the money like the ZL1, or cars close enough like the SS 1LE, but it seems the 350 just has something else to it. You can read almost any review of it and the joy and excitement people get from it is something else.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:40 AM   #8
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
They only test "new" cars of that model year, so even thought GT350 is best this year, does not make it "best".

SS 1LE is better value, better performance when you remove "new for model year" restriction.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote