Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 11-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #1
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
Thinking about ProCharger

I had a 2013 Camaro SS 1LE with an Eforce blower on it. Loved that car. Ended up selling to get a 2015 Mustang GT w/PP. Ended up with a ProCharger on it. The ProCharger on the mustang was very jerky and surged a lot do to the torque tables. You could not go part throttle (tip toe-ing traction) or it would buck and act up.

I just got my 2016 Camaro 2SS, and am thinking about ProCharging it, and leave everything else, except for wider rubber.
I am interested in how the drivability is with the ProCharger on the 2016 SS. My Eforce had perfect manners. But never rode in a Centri blower on a Camaro. I don’t want to have the same drivability issues like in the ProCharged stang.

So owners with ProChargers on their 2016 SS, let me know how they drive. I am sure the extra top end pull is nice also. I am also curious about the intercooler silicone outlet tube. Is it a very tight fit under the driver side headlamp. I am OCD and cant stand stuff to not fit perfect.

Thanks
1LE Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
FWIW - I have a whole thread going on choosing a supercharger. I think there have only been 4 people with input about ProCharger. All positive but not a whole lot of them, yet.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #3
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
I had the D1-SC on my 2011 SS. But I also had a blower cam, ported heads, all the bolt-ons, and built it for drag racing. 720 at the wheels.

Key thing was the addition of a wastegate, that allowed me to dial boost like a turbo.

It was a beast, and once above 620rwhp, rarely saw road driving. Road tires, forget it.

A tamer P1-SC might be a good addition, but your limit will be traction. It would be interesting to try the wastegate mod on a street car.

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #4
SC88
Twin Turbo

Drives: 2016 2SS
Did you have any overheating issues with putting a waste gate on the procharger? Been thinking about doing a F1 @ 20psi and wastegating to 6-8psi until
I build a new motor.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC88 View Post
Did you have any overheating issues with putting a waste gate on the procharger? Been thinking about doing a F1 @ 20psi and wastegating to 6-8psi until
I build a new motor.
No, my setup was beautiful for cooling. With the Hex Vent hood and an electric water pump, I could hot lap at the dragstrip in the space of a song.

However, my setup was for the dragstrip, not a road course. General consensus is that my electric water pump would not have been good for road racing.

But for the road, I'm pretty sure a good meth injection setup would be very beneficial.

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:05 AM   #6
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
Thanks for all the good information. But I am really curious about drivability. If there are 4 or 5 people that have them on here, I wonder why not a single one of them has given any drivability feedback.

BTW, I checked out the SuperCharger Decision thread. Didnt get much valuable information about drivability. I know PD blowers act like larger displacement motors as I had one with the Eforce. But I really dont want the instant torque, it was too tricky for traction on initial throttle application. Ended up 45 degrees sideways in a turn, before trac control could catch it. Turned my 1LE into a not so good handler anymore. Was too tail happy.
1LE Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:34 AM   #7
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE Red Dragon View Post
Thanks for all the good information. But I am really curious about drivability. If there are 4 or 5 people that have them on here, I wonder why not a single one of them has given any drivability feedback.

BTW, I checked out the SuperCharger Decision thread. Didnt get much valuable information about drivability. I know PD blowers act like larger displacement motors as I had one with the Eforce. But I really dont want the instant torque, it was too tricky for traction on initial throttle application. Ended up 45 degrees sideways in a turn, before trac control could catch it. Turned my 1LE into a not so good handler anymore. Was too tail happy.
I hear you loud and clear. I've gotten a bit of info from GirlyNFG. She is running a Procharger making 800rwhp and she daily drives it. Hopefully she'll chime in. Marine Corps has one and said he had no issues but hadn't really gotten on it yet. lcarney77 was the other one and he said he loves it and it drives great.

I wish I could give you more but that's why I'm running the other thread hoping to get enough input to make a good decision. You're the first person that has mentioned anything about surge so I'm not sure if that is only a mustang issue or maybe it was your setup. Again hopefully others will chime in.
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:31 PM   #8
SC88
Twin Turbo

Drives: 2016 2SS
I had a procharger on my 4th gen a F1 and I didn't have any driveability issues after I found the right tuner. I think when you start changing things like Cam, Intake, throttle body or switch to speed density then it will be really important to find a tuner who knows what there doing.

Before I had my setup tuned properly I had a lot of tip in and part throttle issues you are mentioning but definitely wasn't the procharger it was poor fueling and spark tables out of whack.