Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 06-05-2019, 02:27 PM   #1
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Key Fob Battery Life...

Hey everybody...I've had my 2017 SS since Sep of 2016. In that time, I've had to replace the key fob batteries three times. My last three Camaros were not push-button start, and I might have had to replace the batteries in those key fobs one time, at most, during the years I kept those cars (none less than 7-8 years).

Is anyone else experiencing the same short battery life? If so, does it make sense that the shorter life would be related to having push-button start?

To be fair, I use remote start every time I start the car, so there's that...but I pretty much did that with my 2010 SS too, and it didn't kill that fob.

All I know is, without easy access to an external keyhole (have to pop the driver-side door handle off to get to it), my only option has been to get to a store (walk, or get friend to drive me), buy a replacement CR-2032 battery, and put in the new battery before I can start the car again. I prefer not to pop the door handle off, because I'm likely to scratch the door paint.

I suppose, if I'm at home when it happens, I can just grab the second fob.
But I don't want to keep a spare fob battery in the car, because it get's so hot inside the car here in Texas when parked outdoors.

Interested in the experiences ya'll are having...

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I've had my car since Feb of 2016. Haven't replaced the battery yet.

The trick is never using active mode. Passive only.

I suspect it'll last a couple more years if not more this way.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:15 PM   #3
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
My 2SS is 3 years old and no FOB battery issues either. It isn't a daily driver and I tend to unlock the doors with the chrome button in the door handle and use the start button on the dash so the FOB battery doesn't get much of a workout.

- Any chance the FOB buttons are getting pressed by other things in your pocked during the day?
- If you switch FOBS does the other FOB battery wear out just as fast? Maybe you have a bad FOB?
- Do you notice the problem everywhere or at specific locations? Another possibility is that there is radio interference when you are trying to operate the FOB and maybe only a fresh battery puts out a strong enough signal to work?
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:26 PM   #4
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
I've had my car since Feb of 2016. Haven't replaced the battery yet.

The trick is never using active mode. Passive only.

I suspect it'll last a couple more years if not more this way.
Not sure what you mean by passive vs. active mode. I assume you mean just never pushing the buttons on the fob itself and just using the proximity detection to enable unlocking doors, starting car, opening trunk, etc.

Do I have that right? If so, I can definitely see how that would save battery, but I’ll be missing out on the very convenient features of remote unlock and remote start (which I REALLY like!).

Old 06-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #5
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
My 2SS is 3 years old and no FOB battery issues either. It isn't a daily driver and I tend to unlock the doors with the chrome button in the door handle and use the start button on the dash so the FOB battery doesn't get much of a workout.

- Any chance the FOB buttons are getting pressed by other things in your pocked during the day?
- If you switch FOBS does the other FOB battery wear out just as fast? Maybe you have a bad FOB?
- Do you notice the problem everywhere or at specific locations? Another possibility is that there is radio interference when you are trying to operate the FOB and maybe only a fresh battery puts out a strong enough signal to work?

All good questions...

I think it’s very possible that, when it’s in my pocket, the buttons are pressed inadvertently from time to time, but I’m guessing this isn’t a huge factor in my case, because I don’t carry they fob in my pocket during the business day all week while I’m at work (stays in the outside pocket of my backpack). On weekends, unless I’m driving, fob stays on my dresser.

Never tried my second fob. May do that—especially if responses here indicate the frequent battery replacement is not common.

Problem doesn’t not appear to be localized. Battery replacement solved it and it has happened in separate environments where I don’t think radio/microwave interference is a factor.

Appreciate the suggestions!

Old 06-07-2019, 03:50 PM   #6
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
Not sure what you mean by passive vs. active mode. I assume you mean just never pushing the buttons on the fob itself and just using the proximity detection to enable unlocking doors, starting car, opening trunk, etc.

Do I have that right? If so, I can definitely see how that would save battery, but I’ll be missing out on the very convenient features of remote unlock and remote start (which I REALLY like!).
passive is that, not touching the buttons to make an active signal from the fob to the car.

I dont live where it's cold so I dont need remote start ...and the car unlocks and locks whenever i'm near or leave the car.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 08:47 PM   #7
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Resurrecting this thread to post a finding that might be useful to someone.

Earlier today I noticed that my 2nd fob (that I hardly use) no longer worked: as I tried the buttons outside and inside the car, no response at all, not even very close to the receiver. I thought this was strange since I replaced the battery in both fobs less than 3 years ago, but it is what is, I may have used crap batteries, went ahead and replaced them. The primary fob that I use all the time still worked fine, so I decided to check out all the batteries.

Turns out the dead battery was at 2.84V, the perfectly working battery in the other fob was at 2.96V, while the brand new batteries I popped in both measured at 3.26V.

It seems therefore that once battery voltage gets as low as somewhere around 2.9V, the fob completely stops working, which is somewhat of a surprise, I didn't know the unit was so sensitive to voltage (expected at least a 20% margin)

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 10:01 PM   #8
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Turns out the dead battery was at 2.84V, the perfectly working battery in the other fob was at 2.96V, while the brand new batteries I popped in both measured at 3.26V.

It seems therefore that once battery voltage gets as low as somewhere around 2.9V, the fob completely stops working, which is somewhat of a surprise, I didn't know the unit was so sensitive to voltage (expected at least a 20% margin)
I can confirm that same 2.9 voltage level.

A while back my 2021 fob was having issues opening the trunk from far away, so I tested my second fob to see if it was a car issue or a fob issue, and the second fob worked just fine. So I popped in a brand new CR2032 battery and everything with my day-to-day fob was back to normal.

Since the battery was not all that old, I checked the voltage on it and saw that it was 2.9V. I was similarly surprised that the fob had issues at that voltage level! But I figured the old battery might still work in something else, so I wrote 2.9V on the package and stuck it in my battery drawer.

That decision came in handy yesterday when the garage door remote died. It turns out that, unlike the sixth gen key fobs, my garage door remote is perfectly happy with 2.9V!

Perhaps the moral of this story is: If you have a remote control with a CR2032 battery that dies, take the battery out of your Camaro key fob to put in the remote, and put the brand new CR2032 battery in your key fob!
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 10:31 PM   #9
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
I just checked the FOB I use all the time, was at 3.01v, I don't think I ever changed the battery (it'll be 4 next month) I do use remote start and roll the windows down remotely a lot, but my Camaro isn't my daily (it only has 9,400 miles on it) so the FOB doesn't get used all that often... Pulled out a new battery and it tested at 3.30v so I put it in, figured the old battery would need to be replaced soon if people are having issues at 2.9v...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...

Last edited by 2SS Capt; 12-20-2023 at 02:24 AM.
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 03:29 AM   #10
SOFO

Drives: Camaro Fifty
Just one advice: do not buy the cheap versions of these batteries. Always buy a quality brand. They will last a lot longer.

Moreover: do not buy them online (e.g. ebay, Amazon) as there are a lot of used batteries sold as new batteries. Furthermore, there are also a lot of fake batteries available.

I always buy these batteries in the store. I normally buy the brand Energizer.

Concerning the key FOB battery life: I had to replace the battery in 2020 (car is from 2017) and it still working.
SOFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 06:18 PM   #11
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
The fob is always active trying to communicate with your vehicle, so battery quality coincides with replacement times
CalgaryZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 01:23 AM   #12
Anjilslaire

Drives: 2021 3LT RS A10
I think I need to change the battery in my 2 year old fob....
Anjilslaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 02:27 AM   #13
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOFO View Post
Just one advice: do not buy the cheap versions of these batteries. Always buy a quality brand. They will last a lot longer.

Moreover: do not buy them online (e.g. ebay, Amazon) as there are a lot of used batteries sold as new batteries. Furthermore, there are also a lot of fake batteries available.

I always buy these batteries in the store. I normally buy the brand Energizer.

I have a large package of DuraCell 2032 batteries I bought a while ago (with 7 family cars, I have a lot of FOBs!) The one I pulled out of the package at 3.30v was sitting in there at least a year (and who knows how long it was sitting in Costco before I bought it)... Last thing I want to do is be out on a cruise with our Camaro Club (Camaro Club of San Diego) and be "that guy" who's FOB died and now he is prying off the cover of his driver's door handle to use the key and hope the FOB works in the cup holder when you are in Julian, CA...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote