Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-20-2017, 10:19 PM   #1
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Alignment Bolts and You

So there is a lot of talk about the bolts related to alignment being reusable or not. Also Ive seen improper torque specs flying around, so this post is to clear things up, basically what does GM officially say?

Why are torque specifications important?

Torque is the only thing holding your alignment if you do not have proper preload on the joint then your alignment can then drift (fall out of spec)

What is a a TTY/TAY(Torque Plus Angle to Yield) Fastener?

Quote:
A torque to yield fastener (TTY) is mounting hardware in the form of a fastener which is torqued beyond the state of elasticity and therefore undergoes plastic deformation, causing it to become permanently elongated
Front:

For further clarification I submitted a question to GM though SI (Service Information) department about the front bolts here is there reply.

Quote:
Thank you for your question. All TAY(Torque Plus Angle to Yield) fasteners will issue a discard notice within SI. The fastener that you question is NOT a TAY fastener and can be reused. Please continue to tighten to the spec 150 N.m and add the 80-95 angle. No further action is required

Rear:
So what about the rear? No one talks about the rear!

Quote:

Quote:

Picture from my 2017 1SS 1LE of the rear alignment bolts (Drivers side rear looking inward)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion:

Front: The front shock bolts are not TTY/TAY(Torque Plus Angle to Yield) these are TA(Torque + Angle) fasteners and can be reused.

Rear: The two bolts that adjust the rear alignment are TTL/TAY bolts and need to be replaced anytime they are loosened. Nuts can be reused

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Torque Specs

Front Strut to Knuckle Bolts (Lower Shock Bolts)
110 ft/lb + 80-95 degrees
Rear LCA TTY/TAY Bolt
85 ft/lb + 75-90 degrees
Rear Toe Link TTY/TAY Bolt
52 ft/lb + 105 degrees

Part Numbers:
Front Shock Bolts: 11547494
Rear Camber Bolt: 11547215
Rear Toe Bolt: 11611276

*Part numbers from "That GM Parts Guy"

Disclaimer: All torque and bolt information in this post has been provided by GM though GM SERVICE INFORMATION (GMSi) as of 07/20/2017 unless otherwise stated. This post may or may not be updated if changes are made to the specifications shown above after the posting date.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2017 Alignment Camaro.pdf (526.8 KB, 1892 views)
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Excellent post. We need more info in this section like this.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
generally speaking, since the rears for toe (mainly looking at) are TTY bolts, the BMR adjustable toe arms just started looking more economical.

same as the arms up top to adjust camber for that matter.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #4
breadwoman

Drives: FRS
So anytime we adjust alignment we need to replace those two rear bolts?
breadwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:41 PM   #5
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadwoman View Post
So anytime we adjust alignment we need to replace those two rear bolts?
yes

thats what GM says, two per side so 4 total.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:57 PM   #6
Dwille

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Bringing this thread back from a few months ago. I have a 2018 ZL1 1LE. I assume the torque and replacement specs apply too it as well. But that is just an assumption...

Anyone know for sure or can point me at a source?
Dwille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:03 PM   #7
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Great post.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:58 AM   #8
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Excellent info... I think I am going to print this out and put in the glove box for reference. Thanks!!
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #9
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Should be sticky.

However I'll add that TTY is asinine for alignment bolts. To me it is just as dumb as specifying TTY for lug studs. Something that's meant to be adjusted or otherwise regularly serviced shouldn't be TTY.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:14 PM   #10
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
+1 this should be a Sticky
Old 02-06-2018, 08:09 AM   #11
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
So this would of been useful info to have before I completed my BMR install?? I know every veh definitely needs an alignment post lowering etc, but I tightened the crap out of the bolts I loosened. Neither of the installs I saw prior mentioned anything about torque specs or reuse or replacement of bolts. So, when I do bring it for an alignment, should I bring it to the dealer??
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #12
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
This info should also be over in the "Suspension | Brakes | Chassis" forum as well, right??
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #13
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
This info should also be over in the "Suspension | Brakes | Chassis" forum as well, right??
it could be, but its def great being here. since it kinda touches on maintainence, and wouldn't get lost among some of the "cosmetic suspension" threads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Should be sticky.

However I'll add that TTY is asinine for alignment bolts. To me it is just as dumb as specifying TTY for lug studs. Something that's meant to be adjusted or otherwise regularly serviced shouldn't be TTY.
agreed X 10

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:12 PM   #14
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Should be sticky.

amen
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote