Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-04-2019, 04:20 PM   #1
Keandre8

Drives: Summit White 2018 Camaro LT
Is it normal for power to fall off hard after 5k?

I know the powerband of the car is within a certain rpm range, but after 5k, it falls really hard out of the power, so noticeable that you actually lurch forward again. Is this normal? There is also a huge shift delay after about 5k-5500k where it just lulls in the gear before shifting. Automatic mode is utterly useless as it shifts at about 6100k which isnt a huge deal because i drive in autostick all the time. Just wanted some input to see if this is just how the engine and tranny is set up or is there something that needs to be adjusted with the tune, or replaced.

Mod List

CAI
Catless downpipe
Muffler Delete
Boost-o-Lator
Trifecta canned tune(soon going with elite or just hp tuners)
Keandre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
short answer is its normal for this car. Its a tiny power bank peaking at 3400 to 4600.

Others will catch up and give more educated and experienced answers how they stretched the usable power band. I qualify that as your future class mates with hp tuned cars. When I did my dyno, we proved that the real red line is 6500. Almost like it offers a power range personality of an older V8. Power fell off hard at 5500, what ever the chart (the my dyno post) shows is a valid field test example.

I did my jac valve yesterday and it does what it says. Took a half second off my start to 60 using 5K as a (M6) shift point. I am sporting an additional resonator. On my alternative thought process, once you are ok to pony up $1100 to enroll (ecu + tcu) ur good with hp tunes, there's a lot of seasoned vets to that will chime in as you know if there's more high end to be have they will know.

Personally I'm trying to stretch my racechip to the extent possible cause I still have only 2200 miles. its a work in progress. being my second car it will be a while so I will keep on learning up for a while. So I may be the little voice of reason in the corner sqeaking out my stock ecu opines for a while. 2 cents.

NGK 6510s on deck, currently looking at a varex exhaust or similar solution... good times.

cheers!

wooks dad.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:13 PM   #3
Keandre8

Drives: Summit White 2018 Camaro LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
short answer is its normal for this car. Its a tiny power bank peaking at 3400 to 4600.

Others will catch up and give more educated and experienced answers how they stretched the usable power band. I qualify that as your future class mates with hp tuned cars. When I did my dyno, we proved that the real red line is 6500. Almost like it offers a power range personality of an older V8. Power fell off hard at 5500, what ever the chart (the my dyno post) shows is a valid field test example.

I did my jac valve yesterday and it does what it says. Took a half second off my start to 60 using 5K as a (M6) shift point. I am sporting an additional resonator. On my alternative thought process, once you are ok to pony up $1100 to enroll (ecu + tcu) ur good with hp tunes, there's a lot of seasoned vets to that will chime in as you know if there's more high end to be have they will know.

Personally I'm trying to stretch my racechip to the extent possible cause I still have only 2200 miles. its a work in progress. being my second car it will be a while so I will keep on learning up for a while. So I may be the little voice of reason in the corner sqeaking out my stock ecu opines for a while. 2 cents.

NGK 6510s on deck, currently looking at a varex exhaust or similar solution... good times.

cheers!

wooks dad.
Thanks for the feedback, I figured it was the case. Love the fun factor of the car, it pulls really hard in the powerband and definitely catches alot of people off guard
Keandre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:06 AM   #4
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Yes the power band falls off above 5k but its not that dramatic for me. But I usually shift at 5-6k so I don't really feel it. If you go to 7k I feel it.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:10 PM   #5
jbmorris1987

Drives: 2017 2.0 summit white
Throttle body

I currently have a 2017 2.0. Once I installed the zzp 67mm throttle body and downpipe the car pulled fine past 5500. Before those mods it felt almost like you had let off of the throttle once you hit 5000. I also have a trifecta tune and other mods but those were my first and they seemed to help in that area a lot.
jbmorris1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #6
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
Try doing a boost leak check. Mine started to fall off and found a small leak that wouldn't let me boost past 15 psi.
turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:56 AM   #7
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmorris1987 View Post
I currently have a 2017 2.0. Once I installed the zzp 67mm throttle body and downpipe the car pulled fine past 5500. Before those mods it felt almost like you had let off of the throttle once you hit 5000. I also have a trifecta tune and other mods but those were my first and they seemed to help in that area a lot.
How did the car change in the low end after the throttle body and downpipe?
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote