Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 06-19-2019, 09:44 PM   #1
BruceWayne1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE M6
Catted Ca Catless Longtubes

Just curious on noise level difference. I have the MBRP Raceback. About to pull the trigger on a set of 1 7/8” Kooks and can’t decide if I want to get the high flow cats or just go catless. Is the noise level significantly different between the two?
Old 06-19-2019, 11:03 PM   #2
GreatWhiteLT

Drives: 2016 Silver Ice Metallic SS
I can tell you right now, i just got TSP 1 7/8th headers catless installed on my mbrp race axle back and the thing SCREAMS anything above 2500 RPM's. It's honestly not the for the every day driver if you cant stand a lot of cabin noise. But if it does not bother you then go for it
GreatWhiteLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #3
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWayne1LE View Post
Just curious on noise level difference. I have the MBRP Raceback. About to pull the trigger on a set of 1 7/8” Kooks and can’t decide if I want to get the high flow cats or just go catless. Is the noise level significantly different between the two?

I have American Racing 1 7/8 headers and started catless but eventually went with some Vibrant Gesi High flow cats.

The Highflow cats won't really make much of a difference in the volume of the sound but will refine it in a good way, reduce or eliminate any rasp and eliminate that awful smell that no cats force you to deal with.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Fast02Z06

Drives: 2018 ZL1
all my rides are catless. I absolutely love the sound of a cammed headers without cats thru exhaust. you can't go worng
Fast02Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:50 PM   #5
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
My car ran like shiznett and sounded like rusty tin can with no-cats, I have headers and have gone from mild to wild. Putting cats in was the best single mod I have ever done. I was going to do it anyway I just wanted the tune correct. no-cats sound like cheap Mustang exhaust IMO of course.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:07 PM   #6
BruceWayne1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
I have American Racing 1 7/8 headers and started catless but eventually went with some Vibrant Gesi High flow cats.

The Highflow cats won't really make much of a difference in the volume of the sound but will refine it in a good way, reduce or eliminate any rasp and eliminate that awful smell that no cats force you to deal with.
Yea this is exactly what I wanted to hear. Not a fan of the rasp but I can live with some of it. Really just don’t want to smell the gas fumes (been there done that).
Old 06-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #7
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have afe power longtubes with cats and they told me in cali both are illegal so it doesnt really matter but you dont really need catless unless your running alot of e85 or race gas and cats/hi flow cats not gonna be a huge power difference
Old 06-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #8
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWayne1LE View Post
Yea this is exactly what I wanted to hear. Not a fan of the rasp but I can live with some of it. Really just don’t want to smell the gas fumes (been there done that).
My car like your is a M6, IMO the M6 with no cats at low RPM sounds like a rusty Mustang exhaust. You will feel the same way... Put cats in smooth like butta… still sounds great. As noted I've gone from mild to crazy....
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:32 PM   #9
paleon

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
My car like your is a M6, IMO the M6 with no cats at low RPM sounds like a rusty Mustang exhaust. You will feel the same way... Put cats in smooth like butta… still sounds great. As noted I've gone from mild to crazy....
Do you need to get the car retuned if going from a catless setup initially to a catted one?
paleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:34 PM   #10
oldman

Some tuners turn off the rear o2 no matter what. There are smog reddy codes that never turnoff...soifyou have to pass smog...