Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #757
Gray50
Intentionally left blank.

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridWolf69 View Post
As far as I can tell no

Havent really driven the car much since out of the shop but they claim it takes 200 miles to "complete repair"
The 200 miles is more for a relearn than "completing the repair." At least on mine, they updated (in some way) the transmission tune and put it into relearn mode.

Good luck!
Old 05-26-2019, 03:03 AM   #758
theCATALYST
@V3NOM.SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
As far as I can tell no

Havent really driven the car much since out of the shop but they claim it takes 200 miles to "complete repair"
Mine operated great as soon as I picked it up, however they gave me the 200 mile disclaimer anyway.
American Authority - ZL1 Conversion Front Bumper, ZL1 Hood, ZL1 Cannards, ZL1 Side Skirts, ZL1 inspired Hood, Rear Valance w/ Diffuser, darkened LED side markers, C7 Fender Vents, 1/4 Window Scoops, Fuel Lid, Tow Hook
Vertini 20x10.5/20x9.5 RF1.1 Gloss Black wheels
R1Concepts Geomet Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Barke Pads
Mishimoto - Cold Air Intake (RED), Catch Can (RED)
BMR - Strut Tower Brace (RED)
GM Darkened Taillights, ZL1 1LE 3rd Brake Light[/SIZE]
theCATALYST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:20 AM   #759
strickerj

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible 8A
Quote:
Recently bought this car and within a few days noticed the shudder. Took to dealer and the triple flush (TSB 18-NA-355) was performed but I still notice shudder. Dealer says I need to "drive car for 200 miles to complete repair." Isn't this fix supposed to be instant or can it improve over time? If still exists after 200 miles is torque converter next step? Thanks for any info
My dealer told me the same when I went in for a fluid change (not a flush; this was before the TSB came out). Interestingly mine felt great for about 200 miles, and then the problem returned - service rep said that was the opposite of what their GM contact said would happen, lol.
strickerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:03 AM   #760
Dinger1SS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKLNHYD View Post
Since I sorta hijacked another thread with my own issue, I thought I'd be better off starting a new one.

About three days ago, my 2SS started to shimmy and vibrate slightly. It definitely wasn't a road condition and I couldn't feel it in the steering so I began to think it was a transmission issue. Over the next couple days, it got worse and I could start to replicate it on demand.

Symptoms were shaking and vibration under light acceleration and cruising. Particularly around 1000-1500 RPM, primarily around 4th gear and then to 7th and 8th. Oddly enough, 6th wasn't as frequent.

Also, while cruising around 70mph, it would randomly feel like I was driving over small rumble strips. It would also feel like it was slipping a bit. It was horrible in V4 mode. So I would put it into manual shift and bring it back into V8 mode and shift when I needed but it still shook and vibrated.

Under harder acceleration, it felt like the trans was slipping and the gears felt like they were hanging slightly between shifts.

Took it to the dealership today and after the Tech easily confirmed all my symptoms, they called a GM Tech line that advised them to flush the trans three full times with a special fluid and the replace the filter and refill with new fluid. The dealership didn't have this particular fluid on hand so they had to order it and that will take a few days. The Advisor I am working with seemed surprised they told them to flush it. He fully expected to have to replace the Torque Converter. He did tell me after the flush and refill, they want me to drive it for at least 200 miles to see if the problem continues. If so, they will move immediately to replacing the TC.

Personally, I understand the escalation to try to fix it. But both my Advisor and I think it's going to be ineffective and they will likely replace the TC shortly thereafter, if not the whole transmission.

I'll keep everyone posted.
I just dropped my 2017 1SS A8 off for the same issue. This is the second time for me. First was at about 3500 miles. The first time they did the triple flush. It seemed to fix the issue but now it's happening again at 21,000. The advisor told me that this is caused because the trans fluid they were using is hygroscopic (susceptible to absorbing water) and this would then lead to the clutch plates chattering. He assured me that they now have a new non-hygroscopic fluid that is supposed to be the end of this issue. Furthermore, according to his source, changing the torque converter as others have done does not truly fix the problem. It was only because they also changed the trans fluid when they changed the torque converter that it seemed to fix it. He didn't give me the name or part # of the new trans fluid but I'll try to get that info if I can.
Dinger1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:35 AM   #761
HybridWolf69

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinger1SS View Post
I just dropped my 2017 1SS A8 off for the same issue. This is the second time for me. First was at about 3500 miles. The first time they did the triple flush. It seemed to fix the issue but now it's happening again at 21,000. The advisor told me that this is caused because the trans fluid they were using is hygroscopic (susceptible to absorbing water) and this would then lead to the clutch plates chattering. He assured me that they now have a new non-hygroscopic fluid that is supposed to be the end of this issue. Furthermore, according to his source, changing the torque converter as others have done does not truly fix the problem. It was only because they also changed the trans fluid when they changed the torque converter that it seemed to fix it. He didn't give me the name or part # of the new trans fluid but I'll try to get that info if I can.
I just had the flush done with the newer Mobil 1 fluid. This is not a guaranteed fix. Torque converter may still be necessary even with newer fluid. Trying now to get mine back in the shop for converter.
HybridWolf69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #762
Zosozeppelin

Drives: 2017 RS 50th Anniversary Camaro
Quote:
I just had the flush done with the newer Mobil 1 fluid. This is not a guaranteed fix. Torque converter may still be necessary even with newer fluid. Trying now to get mine back in the shop for converter.
I was told that it wasn't a matter of IF my torque converter goes out from the old fluid, it's WHEN... Really annoying but the tech working on my car told me it was a good thing that I got the extended warranty on it. I'm thinking about trading the car in when it gets out of warranty. I've had at least 4-5k worth of warranty work done to the car at this point and I don't know if it'll be worth keeping in the long run (even though I truly do enjoy driving it).
Old 06-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #763
18ss376

Drives: Camaro
If GM would of put in a ZF 8HP transmission none of this would be happening.
18ss376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:43 PM   #764
AlphaDream
Piston Slapper

Drives: Volt gen2, Colorado V6, soonCamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18ss376 View Post
If GM would of put in a ZF 8HP transmission none of this would be happening.
I think GM considers the "fix" to be their 10 speed automatic that was developed in partnership with Ford.

The bean counters have calculated that it's cheaper to do flushes and TC replacements on '16 - '18 vehicles for the remainder of their warranties. What they never bother to add to their calculations is the loss of future sales and the harm to GM's reputation. It's the same business culture that led to GM's 2008 bankruptcy.
AlphaDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #765
chross12

Drives: 2016 ss whipple,rotofab,A8,magride
I agree AlphaDream that this will defiantly hurt future sales. If I knew this was an issue I would have bought a salvage car and put a TH400 and a LS and be done...
chross12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:32 AM   #766
strickerj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDream View Post
I think GM considers the "fix" to be their 10 speed automatic that was developed in partnership with Ford.

The bean counters have calculated that it's cheaper to do flushes and TC replacements on '16 - '18 vehicles for the remainder of their warranties. What they never bother to add to their calculations is the loss of future sales and the harm to GM's reputation. It's the same business culture that led to GM's 2008 bankruptcy.
This reminds me of when I had a Nexus 6P that had the now-infamous battery issue, whereby the device would shut down without warning with anywhere from 20 to 50% indicated battery remaining. Google said the batteries were faulty; Huawei said an OS update was causing the battery charge to be misread. Fanboys on the Google forum suggested I buy a Pixel (the phone that replaced the Nexus series). Yeah... or I could buy from a company that didn't screw me over. It's pretty galling that these companies (and to be fair, tech is worse than automotive) get to just fix products moving forward and wash their hands of the defective ones that were already sold.

Anyway, I got the updated fluid last week, and so far it's feeling fixed, but it did last time too before returning, so we'll see. Bill would have been over $400 out of warranty. If the problem comes back, I think I might just have to be done with this car. :(
Old 07-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #767
strickerj

Quote:
Originally Posted by strickerj View Post
Anyway, I got the updated fluid last week, and so far it's feeling fixed, but it did last time too before returning, so we'll see. Bill would have been over $400 out of warranty. If the problem comes back, I think I might just have to be done with this car. :(
It has now been over 200 miles since the change, and it’s still feeling smooth, even in Touring mode. I’m cautiously optimistic... which is about as optimistic as I ever get.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:20 PM   #768
Hyper16
A Heartbeat Away.........

Drives: Not As Fast As I Would Like To
I noticed the shudder around December 2018. Had the dealer check it out in February 2019. "Could not duplicate customer complaint". Was still having the issue occasionally.
This weekend we drove to a relative's house. About 100 miles each way. Almost all highway. The car shuddered like crazy. After reading all of this, I have some ammo when I take the car back to the dealer.
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

The problem with this world is stupidity.
I'm not saying there should be penalties for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.
Hyper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:16 AM   #769
T32803

Drives: Sold it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper16 View Post
I noticed the shudder around December 2018. Had the dealer check it out in February 2019. "Could not duplicate customer complaint". Was still having the issue occasionally.
This weekend we drove to a relative's house. About 100 miles each way. Almost all highway. The car shuddered like crazy. After reading all of this, I have some ammo when I take the car back to the dealer.
Good luck.. I brought my car to 2 dealers and both said they can't reproduce it so they won't do the transmission flush. As if that's really going to cure a faulty design anyway.. It's a big hassle trying to get anywhere and not all camaros develop the shudder so GM and dealers are more than happy to ignore the problem.
T32803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #770
Hyper16
A Heartbeat Away.........

Drives: Not As Fast As I Would Like To
I’m going to have to find out. As much as I hate driving on highways, I occasionally have to do it. I can’t stand that vibration. Don’t get too much vibration driving around town since I rarely get it over 40-45 miles an hour.
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

The problem with this world is stupidity.
I'm not saying there should be penalties for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.
Hyper16 is offline   Reply With Quote