Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 05-19-2019, 10:45 PM   #15
irobles3680

Drives: 2017 2.0 Camaro LT
I ran it with the code for like 10k miles was useing torque pro app on my phone and I noticed I got more torque with it but horse power was low. When I took it off the torque went lowered but the horse power went up, i did monitor the air fuel ratio too and didn’t noticed it changing with or without the cai, I believe the car is smart enough to even put air fuel even with it running leaner. However how accurate that app is idk, I removed it for fear of damage plus annoying clearing that code every time, i did notice the cel goes on in colder weather, harder acceleration and quickly letting off the throttle. If you drive it slower the code will not go on for a long time but who gets a camaro to drive slow
irobles3680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #16
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
@18i4m6 sorry i missed your post. yes, yes, and well your mileage will vary.

Inside you wont hear anything, but with the window down it may be noticeable. The thing I cannot say is how it will sound without some extra boost. Without some kind of engine enhancement it will have more wind noise than turbo noise, So its really a function of the rate of boost. Therefore the more you can enhance your boost, the more dramatic the sound. So with all of that, there are options to increase your boost rate ala a tune or a plug-on ecu.

Both are painless and effective. It depends on your how much risk you accept with "tampering" with your warranty parts. This goes down a whole rabbit hole. Evil-bee wrote a good progression of his build in here somewhere. Pretty much the in and out air mods as much as a PIA as they seem to be, do not give noticeable increases in anything without a tune. If you have those and add a tune, then they will contribute accordingly. A tune (ecu enhancement) of either sort, really makes the engine run much much better, really where the thing should have been in the first place IMO.

So what I am trying to say without shattering dreams of swoosh and phfffff sounds, is if the engine isn't boosting hard in the first place, then there really isn't much point in putting a megaphone on a whisper. So people (like me) who are just getting started figuring out the new-school, are a little behind using old school tuning.

I hope that helps, and there are great options to get you enjoying the turbo for under a grand. Just ask and read a lot of the great info here. But think and look before you leap.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:53 AM   #17
18i4m6

Drives: 2018 I4 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post

I hope that helps, and there are great options to get you enjoying the turbo for under a grand. Just ask and read a lot of the great info here. But think and look before you leap.

I appreciate the detailed answer, I've been scouring the forum to try and soak up everything before I start... I've almost gone through every page in this subforum. (As well as watched the muffler delete vs other exhaust videos 100 times lol)

I dont even get the car for another week or two!

Coming from superbikes, I understand most of the basic mechanical stuff but tuning seems to be a whole new obsession on it's own.

It's going to be primarily a commuter/fun car to fill in for my trucks as much as possible, so it'll be a while before I go full bore with it but I'll post progress as it comes along.

I do have one quick question: is there a full CAI that absolutely will not cause a CEL? I'd like to do that with an axle back (prolly ATAK with mufflers) now and do the decatted down pipe with maybe some sort of turbo mod when I'm ready to tune.
18i4m6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:06 AM   #18
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18i4m6 View Post
I appreciate the detailed answer, I've been scouring the forum to try and soak up everything before I start... I've almost gone through every page in this subforum. (As well as watched the muffler delete vs other exhaust videos 100 times lol)

I dont even get the car for another week or two!

Coming from superbikes, I understand most of the basic mechanical stuff but tuning seems to be a whole new obsession on it's own.

It's going to be primarily a commuter/fun car to fill in for my trucks as much as possible, so it'll be a while before I go full bore with it but I'll post progress as it comes along.

I do have one quick question: is there a full CAI that absolutely will not cause a CEL? I'd like to do that with an axle back (prolly ATAK with mufflers) now and do the decatted down pipe with maybe some sort of turbo mod when I'm ready to tune.
None of the Injen Cold Air Intakes cause a CEL. I think every ither one may have had an issue but them. I can't speak for aFe or the Flowmaster CAIs

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:15 AM   #19
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Thanks Evil-bee. Your contributions are hugely appreciated and enjoyed.

which summarizes to me anyways, there are specific products that are driveway ready, meaning no firefighting with the cel.

probably suitable for another thread but since we are also into about CEL codes on our shiny new gauge clusters in many of these CAI topics

so far the CEL Free (meaning no code suppression) list is -

slight edit - drop in K&N filter.
the injen cai
cat back re-piping ala borla or other sound shaping products (resonator add is good).

jury is still out on boostolator - think i'm up for a road test.

the above are cosmetic improvements unless you add the below-

racechip aux ecu
throttle plate accelerator via vittese or xlr or others

Remember these are true code free bolt-ons. I don't know if the tuners will vouch for the email tunes.

your good for 350 tq and 300 hp and all kinds of tactile sensations.

Other than that your gonna go into custom tuning territory. I would expect to see more aggressive projects as the 2016 warranties run out, so I am staying "tuned" to whats coming up.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote