Old 02-28-2017, 07:02 AM   #57
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2/

Lots of dexos2 oils out there.
I'm aware of that list. I used it to pick my oil. However, most of those aren't available in the US and the ones that are mostly aren't 5w40 or 0w40. The ones that are weren't found at any stores around me so I had to order from Amazon. I'm guessing if none of the dealers around me had it, it's likely none of the ones around him did either. The dealer probably put the wrong oil in because they couldn't get their hands on the right oil fast enough.

Did you happen to find one of those oils in 5w40 or 0w40 on a shelf at a local store or dealer? The only ones I saw were specifically labeled for Diesel and although it's probably the same as the oil I ran I wanted something that didn't have diesel written all over it.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:08 AM   #58
Tomiboy

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Castrol Edge 0w-40 Walmart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/35931146?...&wl13=&veh=sem
Tomiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:26 AM   #59
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomiboy View Post
That doesn't have the dexos 2 stamp on the bottle.

It should look like this.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:37 AM   #60
Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperBlue View Post
OP, I think you did everything you were supposed to do. I believe GM will do the correct thing and replace your engine.
I tried and I hope you are right. Its on video for goodness sake. I am running that PDR everywhere I drive now in case of a wreck caused by a crazy driver while DD!
Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #61
FNxR3DNECK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
I tried and I hope you are right. Its on video for goodness sake. I am running that PDR everywhere I drive now in case of a wreck caused by a crazy driver while DD!
I should do this too and just delete it when I get home everyday like Mjk said he does, not a bad idea at all.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:07 AM   #62
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
This will be an interesting test to see if Al O's spoken assurances of coverage will be backed up.

I've always said that if it's not in writing, it's not legal..so we'll see.

OP, I really hope for your sake, and everyone who purchased a new Camaro, that GM backs up what Al said.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:29 AM   #63
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall MRC NPP
Best of luck with the warranty process. It looks like you did everything correctly, I can't fathom how Chevy could deny this claim. Will follow this to see how things turn out.
fighting irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:56 AM   #64
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

I'm pretty sure you should be taken care of properly. Make sure they set you up in a good loaner car while they fix yours. I think the only headache might be how long it will take them to get the engine replaced.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #65
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
Which brand and viscosity oil did you have in it during the event?

Did you ever get the oil temp readings off the PDR file via Cosworth?

For all, not sure if other parts of the country did the same, but, a number of weeks back, Autozone, at least around DFW, discontinued carrying 5w40 Valvoline SYNPOWER MST and had it for $2.00 / quart. We got a lot of break in miles that day driving to the stores that still had it.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #66
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
That doesn't have the dexos 2 stamp on the bottle.

It should look like this.

MJK, does Mobile 1 synthetic oil typically have the Dexos 2 rating?
Old 02-28-2017, 05:44 PM   #67
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
This is not about oil by what was described. The marketing literature and owner's manual all direct us to tracking the car. OP did what was required and the car had a malfunction. Hopefully this is either isolated or the beginning of identifying an issue that needs correction based on any potential variables. I for one will not be modifying this car in the near future. It's so good anyway, why get greedy? I'd expect a axle back exhaust won't impact warranty, but once you start drifting into the "yeah but they have to prove" realm, you've already lost the argument.

I fully expect OP will get his car fixed.
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:49 PM   #68
7stringtheory

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
I'm aware of that list. I used it to pick my oil. However, most of those aren't available in the US and the ones that are mostly aren't 5w40 or 0w40. The ones that are weren't found at any stores around me so I had to order from Amazon. I'm guessing if none of the dealers around me had it, it's likely none of the ones around him did either. The dealer probably put the wrong oil in because they couldn't get their hands on the right oil fast enough.

Did you happen to find one of those oils in 5w40 or 0w40 on a shelf at a local store or dealer? The only ones I saw were specifically labeled for Diesel and although it's probably the same as the oil I ran I wanted something that didn't have diesel written all over it.
In my post earlier I answered this question already....
Valvoline Synpower MST 5w40
Its available at Napa and I recently saw some at Advanced Auto Parts. I have seen some bottles that dont have the dexos 2 logo, but most do. And after calling both Valvoline, and GM and speaking to reps on the phone, whether or not it actually has the logo is irrelevant as long as it is product number VV966....
7stringtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:51 PM   #69
7stringtheory

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
Which brand and viscosity oil did you have in it during the event?

Did you ever get the oil temp readings off the PDR file via Cosworth?

For all, not sure if other parts of the country did the same, but, a number of weeks back, Autozone, at least around DFW, discontinued carrying 5w40 Valvoline SYNPOWER MST and had it for $2.00 / quart. We got a lot of break in miles that day driving to the stores that still had it.
I live in DFW and Napa I know for sure still carries and stocks it. I bought an entire case that had just come into one of their stores.
7stringtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #70
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAUSA View Post
This is not about oil by what was described. The marketing literature and owner's manual all direct us to tracking the car. OP did what was required and the car had a malfunction. Hopefully this is either isolated or the beginning of identifying an issue that needs correction based on any potential variables. I for one will not be modifying this car in the near future. It's so good anyway, why get greedy? I'd expect a axle back exhaust won't impact warranty, but once you start drifting into the "yeah but they have to prove" realm, you've already lost the argument.

I fully expect OP will get his car fixed.
If OP dealer did not put track-use specified oil type / viscosity during his pre-track service he described and, for example, it spun a main bearing due to oil pressure drop outs and / or oil temps too high, why would GM be expected to warranty it? We have no clue yet root cause of failure nor confirmation of oil was in it. Just saying buyers, including me, need to heed the specifics laid out for track use. I feel bad for him regardless but am interested what all led up to it and root cause.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote