Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-18-2019, 07:13 AM   #15
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
Wow thanks for the responses. The dealer said it isn't CPO'd... but would CPO it for 500 dollars, since it costs them money to certify it (looked it up, ....it's true)
Sounds like a bargain to me. If you plan on keeping the car, do it. Also consider complaining to them about the worn tire. See if they’ll replace it as an incentive to pay for the CPO. Also, if they offer you a tire and wheel warranty, TAKE IT!!!. I have had 4 tires replaced under warranty, thanks to Michigan roads. Being in Toledo, you’re an honorary Michiganian.

Quote:
As far as the shudder. Is it just a vibration that happens? How bad is it? Does it lead to transmission failure and if so why wouldn't powertrain warranty cover it?

Again thanks for the answers!
Too early to say if it would damage the transmission long term. And yes, the powertrain warranty covers it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinmartin0789 View Post
They are actively trying a new fix which is a new fluid with a different friction modifier which could fix this issue. As some have mentioned about it, the old fix was just a flush and replace of the exact same fluid. If it returned they replaced the tourque converter. Now the new fix is on it's way to dealers now. I would definitely get them to certify it as it gives you a bit more peace of mind.
Quote:
After reading into this, I feel like it may be overblown as well. Everyone that I have researched love this car, and don't mind having to flush it every 15k miles, which is more than a year of driving for me. And like you said, if it comes back i'll just have them fix it again. I mean in doing research, they used this transmission in the vettes too right? I doubt GM would just let this go.

That being said, I am not picking it up today and still want to do more research into this new fix. We are getting a snowstorm tomorrow and doubt I could get winter tires on it in time anyway.

Again thanks for all the responses !

EDIT: Also, I can drive a stick. My WRX is a stick, but I'm really getting sick of driving one. I'm getting too old and in traffic and city it just gets annoying at times. I really want an automatic. I mean I really want a DSG, but since most cars under 100k don't have them (save the Golf R), I want an auto this time around.
The Corvette 8AT is different from the Camaro 8AT. The Corvette 8AT is a rear mounted transaxle. The Camaro 8AT is the same as used in the trucks and utilities.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:05 AM   #16
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Sounds like a bargain to me. If you plan on keeping the car, do it. Also consider complaining to them about the worn tire. See if they’ll replace it as an incentive to pay for the CPO. Also, if they offer you a tire and wheel warranty, TAKE IT!!!. I have had 4 tires replaced under warranty, thanks to Michigan roads. Being in Toledo, you’re an honorary Michiganian.

Too early to say if it would damage the transmission long term. And yes, the powertrain warranty covers it.

The Corvette 8AT is different from the Camaro 8AT. The Corvette 8AT is a rear mounted transaxle. The Camaro 8AT is the same as used in the trucks and utilities.
THANKS! I think I might buy it and just get the CPO thrown in. My generation WRX has bad strut bearings, and they just keep replacing them with the bad unshielded bearings.... so after 500 miles the front end starts to clunk over EVERY bump. I'm to the point now that I just deal with it because there is no fix..... I don't think a shudder every 15k miles and having to flush or fix it would bother me that much

It may be different A8 transmission in the vette, but when I look up "A8 shudder" a TON of vette forum topics come up where they have the shudder as well. Seems like its just as rampant in the vettes.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #17
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
THANKS! I think I might buy it and just get the CPO thrown in. My generation WRX has bad strut bearings, and they just keep replacing them with the bad unshielded bearings.... so after 500 miles the front end starts to clunk over EVERY bump. I'm to the point now that I just deal with it because there is no fix..... I don't think a shudder every 15k miles and having to flush or fix it would bother me that much

It may be different A8 transmission in the vette, but when I look up "A8 shudder" a TON of vette forum topics come up where they have the shudder as well. Seems like its just as rampant in the vettes.
I'm certainly not trying to tell you what to do, but I do think based on experiencing a typical A8 shudder issue that you will regret that. First, some dealers are going to tell you that it's typical and refuse to do anything at all to help. Second, even if they do help you, you'll be without your car for as long as 5 days. They flush multiple times and it isn't quick. Third, it's not necessarily a 'slight' shudder, it can feel like you're driving over rumble strips and it will happen often unless you're giving it plenty of throttle every time you accelerate. When my nine year old says 'dad, what's wrong with the car' it's pretty obvious and more than a little irritating. Fourth, GM does not have a proven final fix so this is an issue that you may very well be dealing with for the entire time you have the car and it will certainly impact resale value if the person on the other end of the transaction is aware of the issue.

Seems to me it would be much easier to just buy an M6 and avoid the issue in the first place.

I suggest you read these threads.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545463

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...470624&page=47

Good luck!
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #18
Fredtp

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10 Black Mosaic
The Corvette A8 has the same identical problems. I owned one and that is the main reason I got rid of it.
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:18 AM   #19
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredtp View Post
The Corvette A8 has the same identical problems. I owned one and that is the main reason I got rid of it.
It just occurred to me that they could have the same torque converter. Definitely not the same transmission, but possibly the same torque converter.

Ironically, I ran into an old friend / co-worker when I was leaving the auto show yesterday. He worked for me when I ran Powertrain Service Operations. I asked him what he’s doing now.....transmission validation and durability. Of course I asked him about the shudder. He confirmed that it has been Mission 1 for a while now and that they are confident they finally have the fix.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:53 AM   #20
RyanR623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I'm certainly not trying to tell you what to do, but I do think based on experiencing a typical A8 shudder issue that you will regret that. First, some dealers are going to tell you that it's typical and refuse to do anything at all to help. Second, even if they do help you, you'll be without your car for as long as 5 days. They flush multiple times and it isn't quick. Third, it's not necessarily a 'slight' shudder, it can feel like you're driving over rumble strips and it will happen often unless you're giving it plenty of throttle every time you accelerate. When my nine year old says 'dad, what's wrong with the car' it's pretty obvious and more than a little irritating. Fourth, GM does not have a proven final fix so this is an issue that you may very well be dealing with for the entire time you have the car and it will certainly impact resale value if the person on the other end of the transaction is aware of the issue.

Seems to me it would be much easier to just buy an M6 and avoid the issue in the first place.

I suggest you read these threads.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545463

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...470624&page=47

Good luck!
So if I'm reading the first link right, they have a fix but don't know when the new fluid will be available? And 90% of A8's don't have the problem? I guess i'll see if it shudders when I test drive it. I'm being told to put it in sport or track..... cruise at 50mph, then give it gentle throttle till I reach 70mph. Correct? Does it matter if its in auto or manual mode?

Also, I saw the range AFM disabler pretty much fixes the issue without voiding warranty.... is that the case?
Old 01-18-2019, 10:08 AM   #21
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
It just occurred to me that they could have the same torque converter. Definitely not the same transmission, but possibly the same torque converter.

Ironically, I ran into an old friend / co-worker when I was leaving the auto show yesterday. He worked for me when I ran Powertrain Service Operations. I asked him what he’s doing now.....transmission validation and durability. Of course I asked him about the shudder. He confirmed that it has been Mission 1 for a while now and that they are confident they finally have the fix.
You are such a terrific source of information!

To the OP: I have an A8 in my 2016 SS and it has been great. I think most people's have been fine. Take a test drive, see how it does and go from there.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #22
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
So if I'm reading the first link right, they have a fix but don't know when the new fluid will be available? And 90% of A8's don't have the problem? I guess i'll see if it shudders when I test drive it. I'm being told to put it in sport or track..... cruise at 50mph, then give it gentle throttle till I reach 70mph. Correct? Does it matter if its in auto or manual mode?

Also, I saw the range AFM disabler pretty much fixes the issue without voiding warranty.... is that the case?
I think you’re right but I would add two things: They SAY they have a fix. They’ve said that before. I think if it has the shudder you will feel it in both manual and auto mode.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:32 AM   #23
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
You are such a terrific source of information!

To the OP: I have an A8 in my 2016 SS and it has been great. I think most people's have been fine. Take a test drive, see how it does and go from there.
I agree it is a little over blown about the A8. I've not had any issues so far. I have a 2017 Colorado and 2017 Camaro SS both have the A8 with no issue.

OP, Good luck on your buy
Old 01-18-2019, 10:33 AM   #24
RyanR623

Quote:

Also, did your friend say when the fix would roll out?
Old 01-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #25
RyanR623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
I agree it is a little over blown about the A8. I've not had any issues so far. I have a 2017 Colorado and 2017 Camaro SS both have the A8 with no issue.

Thanks! Yeah if it doesn't shudder I'm going to buy it. 3 year old cars with 8900 miles don't come around often. The guy probably only drove it in Summer.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:41 AM   #26
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I have a 2016 I bought from a Dodge dealer that someone traded in. It had the shudder the day I bought it and i took it to a Chevrolet dealer and they did the flush and it was gone. I have since added longtube headers, AWE catback and tuned it on E85 and it is a completely different car. The shudder thing is a little blown out of proportion.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:42 AM   #27
WCKD 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Steer clear of the A8
WCKD 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:46 AM   #28
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post

It’s easy to say it’s overblown if your vehicle doesn’t have it but what you should be saying is you have no idea since you haven’t experienced it. If you paid almost 40k for a new car and then spent almost a month driving a beater loaner during the first two years only to have your car still constantly feel like it’s driving over rumble strips I suspect you might feel differently.