#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-17-2019, 05:48 PM   #29
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid-X View Post
Hey guys and girls ... I'm in the same boat. My '17 GT350 gave up it's ghost and I just sold it back to Ford. Sad day as I loved that car but, stellar as it is, I don't trust the Voodoo motor enough to replace it with another GT350. So, I am in the market for a replacement. I am driving a 1LE this weekend to see just how rigid is rigid. I used to drive around an M3 on Bilstien PSS9 coil-overs I had prepped for BSP autocross and it didn't phase me a bit but I was 10 years younger and we live in central Oregon where the roads are great. Plus, I have another daily driver. I did like being able to take the GT350 on trips though and the standard ZL1 is faster than I am so I am curious to drive them both even though its nearly impossible for me not to go for the faster version of anything if it's available ... ha. First world problems eh ...
Where in Central Oregon? I used to live in Bend. Beautiful area and YES, the roads there are sooooo much better than CA.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:03 AM   #30
Sid-X

Drives: '17Raptor,'68Firebird,'18MacanGTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Where in Central Oregon? I used to live in Bend. Beautiful area and YES, the roads there are sooooo much better than CA.
Cool. I was born and raised in Bend. Still here just live out SW of Redmond now near Eagle Crest. Bend got discovered by CA and it's getting a little crowded. It's still great I just like my breathing room.
Sid-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:17 AM   #31
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuywithL86 View Post
Imo - exploring the limits is what makes a car fun. The limits are too high on the 1le for the street. All you will be thinking is, man taking that corner at 70mph was pretty uneventful, I wish I could open this thing up at a track.

Not that you won’t be thinking that in the regular zl1, it’ll just be worse in the 1le.
This. I even have that experience in an SS 1LE! I got a slow Miata for daily and back roads for exactly that reason.

Previous cars:
- 2018 Miata RF GT (Machine Gray/Auburn)
- 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE (Summit White)
- 2008 BMW 135i (Montego Blue)
- 1996 BMW 328i (Arctic Silver)
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #32
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Hey guys and girls ... I'm in the same boat. My '17 GT350 gave up it's ghost and I just sold it back to Ford. Sad day as I loved that car but, stellar as it is, I don't trust the Voodoo motor enough to replace it with another GT350. So, I am in the market for a replacement. I am driving a 1LE this weekend to see just how rigid is rigid. I used to drive around an M3 on Bilstien PSS9 coil-overs I had prepped for BSP autocross and it didn't phase me a bit but I was 10 years younger and we live in central Oregon where the roads are great. Plus, I have another daily driver. I did like being able to take the GT350 on trips though and the standard ZL1 is faster than I am so I am curious to drive them both even though its nearly impossible for me not to go for the faster version of anything if it's available ... ha. First world problems eh ...
You say your're driving a 1LE... Do you mean a ZL1 1LE? or an SS 1LE.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #33
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz View Post
AngryB. I have only driven a test car ZL11LE for about 5 minutes....no way to know anything since I was so mesmerized by the power and sound and the salesman next to me. I did pull over sharply to adjust the side mirrors and it definitely got my attention.
As I stated in my opening thread on the main site.......I am a car guy through and through. DD is Tesla S. Fun car sharing the garage was, in order: 1965 Shelby Cobra roadster FFR..550 h 550 T, 1966 Mustang GT 350 clone, Porsche 911 Carerra GTS...Past DD's were, BMW 745, Merc S550, BMW X5, Merc E550, Hyndai Equs, .....so I get the bug! Just sold my 2017 Shelby GT350 and loved it. Which brings us to now......bought my ZL11LE in Phoenix and is on the carrier tomorrow to be delivered to me here in Hermosa Beach. I liked the Mag ride but drove the mustang in Sport most of the time.....stiff but what a car. Now the top performance car that Chevy makes is on the way! I agree with you...will be very happy to have the top dawg in the nest and the ride will just put a smile on my face....once my teeth have fallen out!!!! Bring it!!!
Love to hear this. I think with that history of cars you'll be very happy with the ZL1 1LE.

Once you've spent some time in the new Z, I'm sure we'd all love to hear your thoughts on it vs the GT350.

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #34
TRZ06

Quote:
Cool. I was born and raised in Bend. Still here just live out SW of Redmond now near Eagle Crest. Bend got discovered by CA and it's getting a little crowded. It's still great I just like my breathing room.
Yeah, I hear it has gotten busy there. I went to Mt. View High School , graduated in 92' I moved to CA after that, but miss that area a lot.

Last time I was there was probably 13 years ago and I barely recognized it then, I can't imagine now.

I do miss waking up and seeing Mt. Bachelor everyday though and the clean crisp air and water.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 01-18-2019, 02:02 PM   #35
Sid-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
You say your're driving a 1LE... Do you mean a ZL1 1LE? or an SS 1LE.
Ah yeah sorry, I forget there is a SS 1LE as well. ZL1 1LE.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:06 PM   #36
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Ah yeah sorry, I forget there is a SS 1LE as well. ZL1 1LE.
No worries... when you said you had one to drive I thought maybe SS since a ZLE is a bit hard to come by for that.

Definitely interested to hear your thoughts after coming to the dark side.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #37
Sid-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
No worries... when you said you had one to drive I thought maybe SS since a ZLE is a bit hard to come by for that.

Definitely interested to hear your thoughts after coming to the dark side.
Me too. I’ve always been a Shelby man ... actually I’m a BMW man but America started making better M3s than BMW. I guess if I go Camaro I can dig out my old Def Leopard T shirt from High School and re-grow my mullet. I will miss crashing into crowds at random after Cars & Coffee though ... 😉
Old 01-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #38
TRZ06

Quote:
Me too. I’ve always been a Shelby man ... actually I’m a BMW man but America started making better M3s than BMW. I guess if I go Camaro I can dig out my old Def Leopard T shirt from High School and re-grow my mullet. I will miss crashing into crowds at random after Cars & Coffee though ... 😉
You couldn't have said it any better regarding your M3 comment. I just came out of a 16' M3 and the SS 1LE just destroys it in almost every way.

Being mostly a BMW / Audi guy for the better part of 10 years now, it was a bit of a mental and image adjustment getting back in an American car, but every time I walk up to my car and see how bad ass it looks and then get in it and drive it, it puts a smile on my face. The SS 1LE was everything I WAS expecting the M3 to be, but wasn't.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 01-18-2019, 04:03 PM   #39
Sid-X

Quote:
You couldn't have said it any better regarding your M3 comment. I just came out of a 16' M3 and the SS 1LE just destroys it in almost every way.

Being mostly a BMW / Audi guy for the better part of 10 years now, it was a bit of a mental and image adjustment getting back in an American car, but every time I walk up to my car and see how bad ass it looks and then get in it and drive it, it puts a smile on my face. The SS 1LE was everything I WAS expecting the M3 to be, but wasn't.
Nice. I am a German car fan in general. I've had Audi, BMWs and a few Porsches. Underwhelmed with my last C4S I went out on a quest for a new car telling myself I'd buy the one that made me smile the most when I drove it. I drove home a '12 GT500 SVT. It was a little blunt but super fun. That led to the GT350 which I just thought was phenomenal other than I missed the low end torque of the GT500. It had the soul that BMW lost after the E46. My favorite car of all time is my old track prepped E36 M3. I come from a family of die hard muscle car enthusiast and I am the only one who didn't end up driving a Camaro at some point. I may lose my black sheep status if I conform. Dammit.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #40
Sid-X

Quote:
Yeah, I hear it has gotten busy there. I went to Mt. View High School , graduated in 92' I moved to CA after that, but miss that area a lot.

Last time I was there was probably 13 years ago and I barely recognized it then, I can't imagine now.

I do miss waking up and seeing Mt. Bachelor everyday though and the clean crisp air and water.
Yeah, it's definitely changed a lot. For good and bad. People are still pretty chill but it's getting an LA attitude that is kind of diluting the reason people were attracted to Bend in the first place. Look at all the beautiful scenery... let's mow it down to build houses and pretend we are outdoorsy types ...
Old 01-18-2019, 04:52 PM   #41
590_The_Judge

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE NGM
There was a previous comment about front end feel... im not entirely sure what the difference is, whether its the shocks, spring rates, sway bars, bushings... but i have michelin pilot super sports, and the turn in is night and day different than the mag ride with the stock goodyears. The zle has a crisp sharpness to it wheras the mag ride seems just a tad squishy. By no means is it bad, just in comparison... but thats just my opinion.

Last edited by 590_The_Judge; 01-18-2019 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
590_The_Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:19 PM   #42
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 590_The_Judge View Post
There was a previous comment about front end feel... im not entirely sure what the difference is, whether its the shocks, spring rates, sway bars, bushings... but i have michelin pilot super sports, and the turn in is night and day different than the mag ride with the stock goodyears. The zle has a crisp sharpness to it wheras the mag ride seems just a tad squishy. By no means is it bad, just in comparison... but thats just my opinion.
I do know what you mean about the slight squishy feel. Granted my M3 was on Ohlin coilovers, but going to the SS 1LE, there was a low speed softness to it, that the M3 did not have.

I believe it is because with MRC, the spring rates do not need to be high, as the shocks have a LOT of room to stiffen up when needed on their own, but when not needed, the shocks can be in a more relaxed state.

It works though, as when you start pushing the car, the MRC responds very quickly. It is the best of both worlds, but it does leave a little crispness lacking in the low speed areas. I have totally gotten used to it though and now it feels normal.

The ZL1 1LE, is more traditional race car stiff at all times because it does not have that ability to totally relax the fluid inside the shocks.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06