Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-21-2016, 06:56 PM   #141
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
The A10 is for better mileage plain and simple, do you really want to paddle 10 gears? The A8 is an excellent tranny.
That's one of the benefits...but in the ZL1 application, they're also witnessed a performance gain in both numbers and driver "feel".
Old 04-21-2016, 07:16 PM   #142
KyleL

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
That's one of the benefits...but in the ZL1 application, they're also witnessed a performance gain in both numbers and driver "feel".
Performance gains over an A8? I'm guessing that they've already put the A8 in the zl1 and then the A10 and drew their conclusion that way?

I know that the 800 rpm drop will make the car faster, but how much, especially when it makes it way into the SS? Because the A8 only has a max drop of about 1500rpm or so, which gives the A10 have more hp and the A8 more tq after each shift.

But THREE overdrive gears lol
Old 04-21-2016, 07:28 PM   #143
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
the ratios have been published?

the 8L90 has two overdrive right?

having more just means better opportunity to stay in high power at those higher speeds...?

I'm guessing here so....
Old 04-21-2016, 07:32 PM   #144
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
the ratios have been published?
Not that I'm aware of...
Old 04-21-2016, 07:36 PM   #145
KyleL

I thought I read on here that it was going to have 6 direct drive gears, 1 direct drive and 3 over drives.

Guess that's what I get for getting my information on camaro6 LOL jk
Old 04-21-2016, 07:53 PM   #146
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
I thought I read on here that it was going to have 6 direct drive gears, 1 direct drive and 3 over drives.

Guess that's what I get for getting my information on camaro6 LOL jk
but even if it does have three, i fail to see the issue...but that fail is cuz i don't know.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:15 PM   #147
KyleL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
but even if it does have three, i fail to see the issue...but that fail is cuz i don't know.
Lol nah, everybody's just bashing on the autos. It's no issue when you have 10 gears.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:04 PM   #148
Jon A

Drives: 2014 L86 Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
Because the A8 only has a max drop of about 1500rpm or so, which gives the A10 have more hp and the A8 more tq after each shift.
The torque after the shift is meaningless unless you also multiply in the gear ratio to figure out torque at the wheels at a particular speed...which is meaningless because all that math does is figure out HP. Looking at a line on a dyno is much easier.

HP under the curve is all that matters when looking at shift points as it represents force at the pavement at any given speed. Unless you have a rather odd looking HP curve for a sports car (long constant-declining HP curve like in a diesel truck) the smaller drop means more average power being used down the track under acceleration, especially in the earlier gears which are typically spaced farther apart.

Another thing it gives you as I can tell you being an old-school 6 speed driver is always having the right gear. On any given roadcourse it seems there are corners that are "too fast for 2nd, but too slow for 3rd" or "too fast for 3rd but too slow for 4th," etc. Swap your axle ratio so it's perfect for every corner on one track (if you're lucky) and then it's "wrong" for a different track....

The 10 speed should pretty much be "optimum" at all times and in all places. I know the A8 got closer to that but I never drove it on a track--and it clearly had some other shortcomings.
Jon A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:07 AM   #149
tbrennyZL1

Drives: Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
The 10 speed should pretty much be "optimum" at all times and in all places. I know the A8 got closer to that but I never drove it on a track--and it clearly had some other shortcomings.
May I ask where you have heard the A8 has short comings? The only complaint I have heard from Z06 guys is that compared to DCT (like the PDK) shift from pressing paddle to actual shift isn't as fast. I also actually live in the Everett area, if you want to experience the A8 in the Z06 first hand let me know! I personally think the shifts are damn fast and very precise but I don't have any experience with PDK, lambo, Ferrari or anything of that nature.
tbrennyZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:24 AM   #150
datboi448

Drives: 2013 2LT RS, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrennyZL1 View Post
May I ask where you have heard the A8 has short comings? The only complaint I have heard from Z06 guys is that compared to DCT (like the PDK) shift from pressing paddle to actual shift isn't as fast. I also actually live in the Everett area, if you want to experience the A8 in the Z06 first hand let me know! I personally think the shifts are damn fast and very precise but I don't have any experience with PDK, lambo, Ferrari or anything of that nature.
I was gonna say go read about 5 pages from this thread to find somebody that didn't like the a8. But it's magically disappeared lol. Basically the main gripe is the downshifting going into turns on the track is slow or being blocked.

Personally I can't speak to it as I have never driven the a8.

Looking at both the reveal videos on the track and the PDR footage from the Chevy site shows very responsive downshifts from the a10.
datboi448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:42 AM   #151
Jon A

Drives: 2014 L86 Denali
Quote:
May I ask where you have heard the A8 has short comings? The only complaint I have heard from Z06 guys is that compared to DCT (like the PDK) shift from pressing paddle to actual shift isn't as fast. .
Mainly the Corvette forums--issues with overheating, etc. I'll admit I didn't follow too closely as they just reinforced my long held beliefs about autos on the track and that the manual is what you want for that car if you're going to track it. Though like I said, I didn't follow too closely. It's possible it's more capable than I gave it credit for.

Don't get me wrong, (unlike the other guy) I think it's a fantastic transmission as autos go.... My 2014 truck has the A6 and I really wish it had the A8 to the point I'd even consider a swap if possible as it is that much better for towing. I just never seriously considered it might be something I'd choose for a roadcourse car.

But the A10 has my attention--if it can run without heat issues, mimics the performance of a DCT and is indeed that much faster around the track, it may be time for me to embrace the modern technology....

Years ago when I first put a data acquisition system on my car I was shocked--yes shocked!--that I was losing more than 4/10 of a second during each shift while accelerating. When you're trying to improve your laptime by a couple of tenths or beat your competitor by even a couple of hundreths, the idea I was basically "coasting" for nearly a full second when I should be accelerating on the front straight alone clued me in that "old school manuals" weren't going to be the best tools for the job forever.

Quote:
I also actually live in the Everett area, if you want to experience the A8 in the Z06 first hand let me know! I personally think the shifts are damn fast and very precise but I don't have any experience with PDK, lambo, Ferrari or anything of that nature.
Thank you! I definitely want to take you up on that! Unfortunately I've decided to cancel all my track plans for this year due to work but would love to take a spin around the block with you. If you've been to the Ridge or Bremerton in the last few years you may have seen me there. I haven't been to PR for a while but do still consider it "my home track."

Last edited by Jon A; 04-22-2016 at 03:56 AM.
Jon A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:21 AM   #152
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
Another thing it gives you as I can tell you being an old-school 6 speed driver is always having the right gear. On any given roadcourse it seems there are corners that are "too fast for 2nd, but too slow for 3rd" or "too fast for 3rd but too slow for 4th," etc.
This was my experience with the A8. Could have been the driver but I got frustrated with this.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #153
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
My SS is a M6, but if I was getting the ZL1, I'd want the best performance possible.

So I guess in the case of the ZL1, I'd take a perfect 10 over a 6, just like with my women.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:20 PM   #154
Snakedriver

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
The A8 is an excellent tranny. The Porsche PDK is the best tranny made and the new A10 will not be as good as the PDK.
Snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote