Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-14-2019, 04:07 PM   #43
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Circle View Post
I am curious how you like the Michelins? I am about at that point and the tire is highly recommended and I have had good luck with Michelin in the past. The Eagles are just plain dangerous on wet pavement. Also, how about noise? My Eagles sound like a F16 on takeoff...
I haven't gotten them installed yet. Will be purchasing them for my girl's ralliart next week though. I postponed getting them for the camaro because it still has the minimum tread on the tires and I was kind of wanting to take it to a dragstrip...which makes more sense to do on tires you're getting rid of than brand new ones.

The Eagles (runflats) are garbage even on dry pavement. On wet roads around here (socal) it's like driving on ice. I've slid across entire lanes doing < 20mph because of some water when turning.

I wont be able to help much regarding noise. I dont have stock exhaust and I always drive with the windows down so tire noise is not the loudest thing going on the vast majority of the time, even with the runflats.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:13 PM   #44
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Pilot Super Sports were superseded by the PS4S.
Also the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are pretty much the best all season tire, they come at a price though.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:20 PM   #45
Gen-X45

Drives: 2017 2SS Camaro
The Michelin Pilot Sport 3+ is an all season tire and it's rated pretty close to the PS4 with a bit more comfort tossed in. I did a lot of research and decided on MPS 3+, I ordered them on Monday, they will be at the installers tomorrow and it's been raining here pretty good so I'll get to test them out a bit.
Gen-X45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:02 AM   #46
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=223

For normal car tires, I trust Tire Rack's testing method...apples-to-apples comparisons on the same cars on the same track / conditions. Almost everyone of us that is going to post is basing their post off of personal experiences that are typically not back-to-back or in similar conditions. Most of us will experience a gain in traction just going from an old worn out tire to a new tire if they are close to each other in performance category because worn tires aren't just worn at the treads but have had far more heat cycles in them compared to a fresh set of rubber.

For race tires, I usually turn to Grassroots Motorsports magazine's testing.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:42 PM   #47
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisd View Post
I know you said you were steering away from summer tires, but... I want to 2nd the person that recommended the Continental Extremecontact Sport. I put them on my SS (in stock sizes) and they're incredible in the rain. If it gets below about 3ºC (~37ºF) they don't grip as well, but I don't drive it much when it's that cold, they've been fine so far. I dunno how cold it gets where you are.

In the dry they're great, and in the wet... holy hell are they good! I took it autocrossing in pouring rain, I'm still a novice, and I placed 2nd in my class, out of about 30 people. I definitely credit the tires with that, not my driving skill! I was scoring about middle of the pack before replacing the tires.
I will third these. I have them on my daily driver Porsche Panamera.
They work fantastic in the wet. We don’t get cold and wet together in northern ca. But we get some serious wet at times. Like today.
Excellent in the dry too. I would put them on my Camaro. But I also really like Michelin’s so would be a tough call. They are cheaper.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:05 AM   #48
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=223

For normal car tires, I trust Tire Rack's testing method...apples-to-apples comparisons on the same cars on the same track / conditions.
TireRack admits their "tests" are purely "subjective" and an average of 1-10 scores on multiple questions, smashed together and only sampled against a small set of staff testers that have personal biases. 5 drivers doing a 2 minute test track and answering 5 1-10 questions before all the answers are averaged isn't great. Plus the first guy isn't going to have the same experience as the 5th guy as temps and pressure change with each lap and time of day/ambient condition shifts.

I would be more inclined to someone that is used to a specific vehicle as their 15k/yr daily driver knowing the limits of their usual tires whether new or not and then being able to tell the difference when they try something different. Your prior behaviors and muscle memory goes through adjustments and those consciously stand out to you -- both good and bad changes.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:18 AM   #49
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
TireRack admits their "tests" are purely "subjective" and an average of 1-10 scores on multiple questions, smashed together and only sampled against a small set of staff testers that have personal biases. 5 drivers doing a 2 minute test track and answering 5 1-10 questions before all the answers are averaged isn't great. Plus the first guy isn't going to have the same experience as the 5th guy as temps and pressure change with each lap and time of day/ambient condition shifts.

I would be more inclined to someone that is used to a specific vehicle as their 15k/yr daily driver knowing the limits of their usual tires whether new or not and then being able to tell the difference when they try something different. Your prior behaviors and muscle memory goes through adjustments and those consciously stand out to you -- both good and bad changes.
As far as "specific vehicle" is concerned, TR does attempt to remove that as a variable by maintaining the same car as the test vehicle over many tests. Measured test data is one thing you get from TR that's not widely available elsewhere, and I'd certainly give their subjective comments greater weight than either the overall survey results or most submitted comments, as individual customers have their biases as well (and have a tendency toward being overly complimentary or overly critical). It's probably best to work with all four kinds of information when narrowing down the field to your final choice.

Norm
Old 01-17-2019, 08:22 AM   #50
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Michelin, Michelin, Michelin.....did I say Michelin?

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:49 AM   #51
Nitefall17

Drives: Camaro 1SS A8 Vert
I bought Nitto NT555 G2 have been very happy with them.
These work very good with the weather we have in Houston area.
Nitefall17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:06 AM   #52
WCKD 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Firehawk Indy 500's above all..

1,749,525 Total Miles Reported
<LI class="row-ratings clearafter">1 out of 17 in Ultra High Performance Summer Tires
<LI class="row-ratings clearafter">100% vs. best in Ultra High Performance Summer Tires
Would You Recommend?
9.0 - Excellent

+
-

Wet Performance
8.8 - Excellent
  • 8.8 Hydroplaning Resistance
  • 8.8 Wet Traction
+
-

Dry Performance
9.3 - Excellent
  • 9.3 Cornering Stability
  • 9.4 Dry Traction
  • 9.2 Steering Response
Winter/Snow Performance
N/A

+
-

Comfort Performance
8.7 - Excellent
  • 8.8 Ride Quality
  • 8.6 Noise
Treadwear Performance
8.6 - Excellent
WCKD 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #53
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCKD 1LE View Post
Firehawk Indy 500's above all..
Among UHP (third-tier) performance category tires, sure. Might even be better than some of the second-tier Max Performance Summer tires.

Norm
Old 01-18-2019, 10:41 PM   #54
Gen-X45

Drives: 2017 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Circle View Post
I am curious how you like the Michelins? I am about at that point and the tire is highly recommended and I have had good luck with Michelin in the past. The Eagles are just plain dangerous on wet pavement. Also, how about noise? My Eagles sound like a F16 on takeoff...
I changed out my OEM tires for the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I live in California, my 2SS is not my daily driver. I bought it for road trips up the coast and general fun weekend get away's. I love the tires, they are much quieter than the OEM F1's and the cars overall handling is improved as well . The ROF's were harsh (California Roads for the most part suck to begin with). and in some cases were so loud having a normal conversation was next to impossible. I purchased them in OEM sizes, they were delivered and installed for right around 1,100 OTD. Perhaps the best tire purchase I've ever made.
Gen-X45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #55
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette_Mike View Post
I bought the Coopers. $850 installed and with a 25K warranty. Great value for the money. Wearing well with no issues so far.

How is cornering, traction, smoothness and noise compared with the RunFlats.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #56
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Got as3+'s on my car now and my girl's ralliart. They are amazing compared to the stock runflats. Not even the same ballpark in grip on wet or dry. Well worth the price.

Stock runflats wear out in 20k miles and have no wet grip. These should be good for twice that and outperform pretty much everything else. I purchased from tire rack and install was 90 total out the door.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote