Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #1
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Short Term ZL1 1LE Owners?

I've been shopping for ZL1 1LEs for a couple months now, and noticed that quite a few used ones are already on their 3rd or sometimes even their 4th owner. Normally for another car that would be a huge red flag, but are there just that many people that keep these cars for a year or even as little as 3 months before selling them?
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:37 AM   #2
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Yea, that doesn't sound good. I suspect a lot of people buy them thinking they want the cool aero look but end up hating the ride quality. The 1LE really should be the Z28 replacement and for a select few buyers that really know what they're getting.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:37 AM   #3
suzbndt

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2011 Mustang GT
They ride rough and tires don't last for shit. Its not the best daily driver.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
suzbndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:39 AM   #4
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
I think its more of people who think they can afford them and get super excited but then find out after a few months that they just can't make the payments work for them and start using the ride quality as an excuse to get out of the payments. I don't think people often factor in the insurance and gas costs when buying one of the newer camaros.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
I think its more of people who think they can afford them and get super excited but then find out after a few months that they just can't make the payments work for them and start using the ride quality as an excuse to get out of the payments. I don't think people often factor in the insurance and gas costs when buying one of the newer camaros.
You make valid points Jax and I suspect that the regular ZL1s are the same too as people get all excited and buy one just to realize that they aren’t practical in as too expensive to own with insurance and car payments being high cost and maintenance as well!
Old 10-16-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
My insurance is $50/mo full coverage, actually cheaper than the SS
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:31 AM   #7
puppykat33

Drives: Black 2019 ZL1 M6,
they tell you the payments before you ever purchase the car and you should have already gotten insurance before you leave the lot so people shouldn't be surprised by the cost knowing them up front right. i mean it is not like you get to your first months payment and go wow i didn't know what it was going to be. I guess some intentionally buy things they know they cant afford but i would go with they thought they wanted it until they got it and it was not the best daily driver. Who knows others circumstances on why they do things. But i would put the cost at the bottom of the list of possibilities.
2019 Black ZL1, M6, CF Hood and Dash, Nav System, ZL1 Addons rock guards and lift points, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, DD Smoked Marker Lights, Ceramic window tint, Gtechniq 9yr ceramic coating. JL Audio stealth box 12W6, Dyanamat trunk, Dead pedal cover, Soler TB/TC, Green Filter, Carbon-fiber Borla S-Type
puppykat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:31 AM   #8
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
You make valid points Jax and I suspect that the regular ZL1s are the same too as people get all excited and buy one just to realize that they aren’t practical in as too expensive to own with insurance and car payments being high cost and maintenance as well!
That sure could be true in some cases.

Not speaking to 1LE’s, as those weren’t what I was looking for, but of the few ZL1’s I looked into including mine were owned by rather wealthy people that had many cars &/ or bought new exotics often only to not drive them very often.

I’m not saying I’m poor, but it’s a relative term, LOL.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:51 AM   #9
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
People love the look, hate the ride.

Fact you almost need to replace tires w something more reasonable is another nail in the coffin.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:14 AM   #10
Jaxcam02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
My insurance is $50/mo full coverage, actually cheaper than the SS
Damn who the hell are you insured with?
Old 10-16-2020, 11:22 AM   #11
m3bs

Drives: '19 ZLE, S54 E36M3
I bought mine knowing full well what I was getting. I never expected it to be a long term relationship, I just wanted to try one to see what all of the hype was about in the press. Figured I'd better do it before they lock me away in a nursing home..... Now that I've been there and done that, I'm moving on. Somebody is going to get a great low mileage car.
m3bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:22 AM   #12
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
ride sucks tires are almost slicks from factory unless you are going to race it pretty much dumbest car to buy lol
Old 10-16-2020, 11:34 AM   #13
Jaxcam02

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
ride sucks tires are almost slicks from factory unless you are going to race it pretty much dumbest car to buy lol
I gotta ask, have you driven/inspected one or are you just going off of what talking points on this site?
Old 10-16-2020, 11:39 AM   #14
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post

can confirm. nearly 23,000 miles on my ZLE. PS4S tires arrived few weeks after purchase. Stock wheels and tires were reserved for competitive driving activities.

Rear quarter forever scarred from flying rocks coming off front tires.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote