Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #1
Epx998
|Engineer|

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
What front tow hook to get?

I need to get a tow hook (for an actually towing) - any suggestions?
Epx998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
I think there is one under the back mat in the trunk.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:56 PM   #3
Winchn

Drives: 2SS Camaro
Nothing under the back mat on mine, so I bought an RPI tow hook. Don't know if theres any real diff in a tow hook as they all serve the same purpose.

Respects,
Richard
Winchn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
Epx998
|Engineer|

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Thanks for the heads up, i'll check I get home.
Epx998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:18 PM   #5
BH1

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchn View Post
Nothing under the back mat on mine, so I bought an RPI tow hook. Don't know if theres any real diff in a tow hook as they all serve the same purpose.

Respects,
Richard
That’s odd, there’s one under my trunk mat.
BH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:40 PM   #6
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH1 View Post
That’s odd, there’s one under my trunk mat.
Dealerships constantly swipe these from one car to the next if one is missing from a car sold on the lot. So some who’s owners don’t notice at purchase the missing hook or owners manual, they end up with nothing.
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:39 PM   #7
CCG Garnet Red

Drives: 2017 RS Garnet Red Tintcoat A8
Bought my son's new '17 RS 9/30/18. Tow hook was in the glove compartment. Lots of rain in N.M. around Christmas and at a family breakfast he tried to drive off Mom's drive and thru the yard and got stuck. Sunk above the 20's and side of rim. Called our local towing co. and had the GM tow hook in my hand when he arrived. He didn't recommend using it, as he said that he had seen too many snap off. He used his cables and hooked in front wheelwells (somewhere) and had it wrenched out in minutes with me in the driver's seat making sure there was no contact on the body. Cost? A hearty "Merry Christmas". I gave him $20 to go out to lunch or whatever. Sometimes pays to live in a small town and use the same people for 30 or so years.
CCG Garnet Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:43 PM   #8
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCG Garnet Red View Post
Bought my son's new '17 RS 9/30/18. Tow hook was in the glove compartment. Lots of rain in N.M. around Christmas and at a family breakfast he tried to drive off Mom's drive and thru the yard and got stuck. Sunk above the 20's and side of rim. Called our local towing co. and had the GM tow hook in my hand when he arrived. He didn't recommend using it, as he said that he had seen too many snap off. He used his cables and hooked in front wheelwells (somewhere) and had it wrenched out in minutes with me in the driver's seat making sure there was no contact on the body. Cost? A hearty "Merry Christmas". I gave him $20 to go out to lunch or whatever. Sometimes pays to live in a small town and use the same people for 30 or so years.
Not saying this happened to your sons car... But have you taken a look underneath to make sure nothing was bent or damaged by that tow truck operator? Sounds like he was just looking to “ Git er dun” as easily as possible for his sake. These newer cars don’t handle being pulled and jerked around like the older cars could. Just Sayin.
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:59 PM   #9
CCG Garnet Red

Drives: 2017 RS Garnet Red Tintcoat A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by STYLO LT1 View Post
Not saying this happened to your sons car... But have you taken a look underneath to make sure nothing was bent or damaged by that tow truck operator? Sounds like he was just looking to “ Git er dun” as easily as possible for his sake. These newer cars don’t handle being pulled and jerked around like the older cars could. Just Sayin.
No damages. Driver/operator is a friend who has been in the business for years. Only had to pull it approx. 10 yards very slowly back to the concrete drive-way with me driving it in "mud/snow" mode. He stopped the process a couple of times to check the position of cables. As for his disdain for the tow hooks, maybe he has indeed snapped some off, IDK. Actually time was not an issue, as he lay on a mat in the soft yard to position the cables. He stayed about 30 minutes. My 80 year old Mom who helped us buy the car for my son and her children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren filmed the "event". The greats got a kick out of seeing the tow truck in action. I would however been very apprehensive of the process if in another location with another company. I would suspect the GM provided tow hook use is indeed the best. Sorry for writing "Tow Truck War & Peace"!

Last edited by CCG Garnet Red; 03-30-2018 at 05:05 PM.
CCG Garnet Red is offline   Reply With Quote