#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-30-2020, 06:33 PM   #1
jcocke23

Drives: '17 1LE
Vorshlag Camber Plates Overview & info

Hey guys,

I recently installed the Vorshlag Camber plates on my SS 1LE while I have everything else apart.

Here is a little video explaining them and some install tips...just a warning, I have my front subframe removed for other reasons lol.

Vorshlag Camber Plate Overview

-Jason

Track Carz LLC on:
FB, IG, and youtube
jcocke23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:35 PM   #2
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Great Video

Great Video Jason!!! It just so happens we installed these plates TODAY on my 2019 SS . We found that the range we can get now is -1.8 degrees negative camber all the way to roughly - 3.6 degrees negative camber.

We earlier installed the SG3 suspension and 1LE sway bars along with ZL1 brakes (all work here done by AMP).

Anyway this weekend we will be trying the -3.6 degrees negative camber out on the 1.7 mile Motorsports Ranch at Cresson track.

Although I DO NOT have MAG RIDE shocks, the struts that come with the SG3 suspension apparently are exactly the same diameter below the threads that are on top of the front strut when compared to a MAG RIDE shock. . The reason I mention this is that when I originally received my plates the top bearing and bottom bearing inside diameter was SMALLER so the MY STRUT would NOT go through the camber plate but Jason at VORSHLAG quickly corrected this for me by over nighting the correct bearings. The SHAFT size on the strut JUST below the threads at the top of the strut should be around 14MM which is the same as the MAG RIDE setup.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:24 AM   #3
jcocke23

Glad to hear you installed the plates! Sounds like you will get plenty of adjustment!

That is also some really go info on the shock diameters, thanks for sharing that with everyone.

I am interested to see your impressions of the extra camber. What tires are you running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
Great Video Jason!!! It just so happens we installed these plates TODAY on my 2019 SS . We found that the range we can get now is -1.8 degrees negative camber all the way to roughly - 3.6 degrees negative camber.

We earlier installed the SG3 suspension and 1LE sway bars along with ZL1 brakes (all work here done by AMP).

Anyway this weekend we will be trying the -3.6 degrees negative camber out on the 1.7 mile Motorsports Ranch at Cresson track.

Although I DO NOT have MAG RIDE shocks, the struts that come with the SG3 suspension apparently are exactly the same diameter below the threads that are on top of the front strut when compared to a MAG RIDE shock. . The reason I mention this is that when I originally received my plates the top bearing and bottom bearing inside diameter was SMALLER so the MY STRUT would NOT go through the camber plate but Jason at VORSHLAG quickly corrected this for me by over nighting the correct bearings. The SHAFT size on the strut JUST below the threads at the top of the strut should be around 14MM which is the same as the MAG RIDE setup.

Track Carz LLC on:
FB, IG, and youtube
Old 10-01-2020, 07:42 AM   #4
sr71bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcocke23 View Post
Glad to hear you installed the plates! Sounds like you will get plenty of adjustment!

That is also some really go info on the shock diameters, thanks for sharing that with everyone.

I am interested to see your impressions of the extra camber. What tires are you running?
Well this weekend will be the FIRST chance I have to take car to the track with the -3.6 negative camber at Motorsports Ranch. I am running MS 4S 305 30 19 tires on all four wheels which are APEX SM-10's 19 x 10.5. I do this because this car is a daily driver as well.

At Eagles Canyon I ran -2.0 degrees negative camber and that handled really well for a 300 treadwear tire. The front end DID push out some at the absolute limit when cornering so my hope is the extra camber will help some with that. The tires like a cold starting pressure of about 30 PSI and I would gain 5-6 PSI during the runs.

I have include pictures of my STRUT that comes with the SG3 package and the VORSHLAG camber plate as it was ORIGINALLY shipped to me PRIOR to changing out to the 14MM bearings (MAG RIDE configuration)
Attached Images

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:
Old 10-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i still need to get a set of these but i have aftermarket shocks/springs so im worried it may be an issue
Old 10-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #6
sr71bb

aftermarket spring

It wont be an issue. Call JASON at VORSHLAG at 972 422 7170 and tell him exactly what you have. He has a spring perch to accommodate aftermarket springs which are generally LESS in diameter than the factory ones.

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:
Old 10-01-2020, 07:42 PM   #7
jcocke23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i still need to get a set of these but i have aftermarket shocks/springs so im worried it may be an issue
As stated already, Vorshlag will hook you up with any size bushing you will need, just send them the measurements. Those guys are used to custom anything! The stuff is made to order, so you'll wait a couple weeks for it but the quality is top notch, as is the customer service.

I'll be working with them in the future for a custom Motion Control Coilover setup.

Track Carz LLC on:
FB, IG, and youtube
Old 10-01-2020, 07:48 PM   #8
jcocke23

Quote:
Well this weekend will be the FIRST chance I have to take car to the track with the -3.6 negative camber at Motorsports Ranch. I am running MS 4S 305 30 19 tires on all four wheels which are APEX SM-10's 19 x 10.5. I do this because this car is a daily driver as well.

At Eagles Canyon I ran -2.0 degrees negative camber and that handled really well for a 300 treadwear tire. The front end DID push out some at the absolute limit when cornering so my hope is the extra camber will help some with that. The tires like a cold starting pressure of about 30 PSI and I would gain 5-6 PSI during the runs.

I have include pictures of my STRUT that comes with the SG3 package and the VORSHLAG camber plate as it was ORIGINALLY shipped to me PRIOR to changing out to the 14MM bearings (MAG RIDE configuration)

All really good info, thanks for sharing! I've been running GY SC3R with a 305 square setup like you on Apex wheels too...except my car no longer sees much street use. I have a set of Hoosier A7s to try next time. I was able to get around -2.6 on the stock setup, but I did get a little bit of strut rub on one side. My tire wear suggests I could use a little more negative, so my target will be -3.2 next time out. I primarily run VIR and its very easy on tires, but it will eat thru to the outside cord on a rough track like Roebling Road.

I guarantee the extra camber will help with the push you were experiencing.

Track Carz LLC on:
FB, IG, and youtube
Old 10-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #9
atx_traveler

Drives: blue velvet
Thanks for the great video. I watched some of your other videos too - good job explaining everything in clear detail. Keep it up. Very few channels with real information that isn't a waste of time.
atx_traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:19 PM   #10
sr71bb

Quote:
All really good info, thanks for sharing! I've been running GY SC3R with a 305 square setup like you on Apex wheels too...except my car no longer sees much street use. I have a set of Hoosier A7s to try next time. I was able to get around -2.6 on the stock setup, but I did get a little bit of strut rub on one side. My tire wear suggests I could use a little more negative, so my target will be -3.2 next time out. I primarily run VIR and its very easy on tires, but it will eat thru to the outside cord on a rough track like Roebling Road.

I guarantee the extra camber will help with the push you were experiencing.
I documented this earlier but when we were test fitting with the APEX 19 x 10.5 SM-10 ET25 wheels using NO front wheel spacer and 305 30 19 tires, the inside of the wheel would slightly rub on the shock tower. Not wanting to use a spacer. AMP grinded a small portion of the strut tower back (about 5MM) to allow for additional clearance in the area indicated in the picture below.

The advantage in using the VORSHLAG camber plates is that if it doesnt rub WITHOUT the camber plates, then using the plates allows for more negative camber WITHOUT the negative side effect of moving the wheel closer to the strut which of course what typically happens WITHOUT camber plates.

On a side note, when I ran my GY SC3R's on my previous car which was a 2019 ZL1 1LE A10 , I was getting only 1500 miles out of those tires street driving. As you are aware, those tires are DEADLY in the rain so since it was a daily driver as well, I knew something had to change after 2 sets of tires after roughly 12 weeks of use (LOL). Thats when I switched to a 2019 SS and modded it to get the handling I wanted.
Attached Images

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:

Last edited by sr71bb; 10-01-2020 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:31 PM   #11
jcocke23

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx_traveler View Post
Thanks for the great video. I watched some of your other videos too - good job explaining everything in clear detail. Keep it up. Very few channels with real information that isn't a waste of time.
Thanks! As long as some folks are get something out of them, I will keep posting them.

SR71BB, you are spot on with the advantages to running the camber plates...I always hated tilting the hub in so far, but at least we do have that adjustment since a lot of other strut cars don't.

I think I have been through 5 sets of the 3Rs. I love them on the track, but I don't dare run them in any sort of moisture. I think they are a great compromise between price, grip, and heat cycles. I still have the stock 3s to run on the street.

Track Carz LLC on:
FB, IG, and youtube
Old 10-02-2020, 09:53 PM   #12
sr71bb

Quote:
Thanks! As long as some folks are get something out of them, I will keep posting them.

SR71BB, you are spot on with the advantages to running the camber plates...I always hated tilting the hub in so far, but at least we do have that adjustment since a lot of other strut cars don't.

I think I have been through 5 sets of the 3Rs. I love them on the track, but I don't dare run them in any sort of moisture. I think they are a great compromise between price, grip, and heat cycles. I still have the stock 3s to run on the street.
I dont know that you have done this exercise before but how much quicker around the track are the 3R's compared to the regular 3's????

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:
Old 10-05-2020, 11:24 AM   #13
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
I dont know that you have done this exercise before but how much quicker around the track are the 3R's compared to the regular 3's????

my buddy just did that test on streets of willow and big willow and was about 2-3 seconds faster but they definately dont last on track/street use very long
Old 10-26-2020, 11:38 AM   #14
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
... how much quicker around the track are the 3R's compared to the regular 3's????
My experience with the 3Rs is they are on another level.
Depending on the track, track condition, car setup and skills, etc. Also the more experience I get with them the more I've been able to push.
So far I'm faster by:
6 secs at COTA
6 secs at Cresson 3.1
3 secs at ECR 2.7
3 secs at Cresson 1.7 ccw
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote