Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-12-2023, 11:15 PM   #1
doritoboy100

Drives: 2020 chevrolet camaro 2ss auto
23 ss hellion tt build questions

Hello everyone,

I'd like to ask you guys before coming to a final decision.

I have a 23 2ss 1le 10spd auto.

I'm looking into getting the hellion twin turbo 62/62 kit. I've looked around and can't really find anything on anyone running this kit. On forums, but it was featured on PowerNation and the fitment, installation, and power results from the episode all turned me on.

I want this to be a street/strip car I can drive on the weekends, around 550-600whp which is what this kit promises and delivers on the powernation episode.

I reached out to the closest tuner I can find, I am located in Tuscaloosa Alabama so I don't know anyone nearby except 3 hours away in Atlanta or 8 hours away on North Carolina, so I came to these guys. They told me not to to turbos because they melt things, and tried to push the whipple kit on me because they're a dealer for them. I would prefer turbos over supercharger for efficiency reasons, looks, and sounds. Plus the whipple is very unattractive to me, the Magnuson looks much better.

So my first question, do these kits melt shit? What if you use ceramic coating and heat wrap, and a turbo shield, and also spark plug wire covers?

And my second question is does anyone know of a tuner that has a base map and can help dial in the fine tuning remotely for this kit? I've reached out to Hellion as well and await their response.

Thanks guys, hoping to have this car on the track this year!
doritoboy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 04:34 AM   #2
ZL14ever

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 A10
There is a reason why you don't see many guys running the Hellion TT kit! Yes it does melt stuff

Magnuson is a true bolt on affair with no issues to report
ZL14ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 07:22 AM   #3
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Jannetty Race has done one for sure maybe more. Ted would be the guy to offer you advice with your question on the twin turbo setup. Depending on what system you get they do offer high numbers 2000 HP if your engine is built for that number.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 07:39 AM   #4
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL14ever View Post
There is a reason why you don't see many guys running the Hellion TT kit! Yes it does melt stuff

Magnuson is a true bolt on affair with no issues to report
Agreed. At 550-600 WHP a PD blower is a super easy install, easy tune, OEM level drivability.

I think the Huron Speed twin turbo setup is a better fit for our cars given the extensive heat shielding needed to run the turbos up top with the Hellion setup. What’s interesting is Hellion offers a super slick mid mount package for the Mustang but not the Camaro…? So if I was going TT I’d probably do the Huron kit on a Camaro.
Old 06-13-2023, 01:27 PM   #5
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by doritoboy100 View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm looking into getting the hellion twin turbo 62/62 kit. I've looked around and can't really find anything on anyone running this kit. On forums, but it was featured on PowerNation and the fitment, installation, and power results from the episode all turned me on.

I want this to be a street/strip car I can drive on the weekends, around 550-600whp which is what this kit promises and delivers on the powernation episode.

I reached out to the closest tuner I can find, I am located in Tuscaloosa Alabama so I don't know anyone nearby except 3 hours away in Atlanta or 8 hours away on North Carolina, so I came to these guys. They told me not to to turbos because they melt things, and tried to push the whipple kit on me because they're a dealer for them. I would prefer turbos over supercharger for efficiency reasons, looks, and sounds. Plus the whipple is very unattractive to me, the Magnuson looks much better.

So my first question, do these kits melt shit? What if you use ceramic coating and heat wrap, and a turbo shield, and also spark plug wire covers?

And my second question is does anyone know of a tuner that has a base map and can help dial in the fine tuning remotely for this kit? I've reached out to Hellion as well and await their response.

This was the first one done back in 2018 and still running strong from what I know.

Feel free to call with any questions there have been many updates to the kit since it was first designed.

We never had any problems melting things

If anyone did they were not tuned correctly.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/...55676361319091
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 08:12 AM   #6
ZL1Atlanta

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
For your desired power level, I'd stick with a PD blower like the Magnuson 2650. Generally speaking, there is more work and cost to get turbos installed. You will also need a torque converter to launch it successfully at the drag strip, whereas stock converters are running deep into the 8's with 1.20 60' times.

Built by Vengeance Racing, tuned by Elite Tuned
ZL1Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 09:21 AM   #7
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I wouldn't even mess with the 2650 at that power level. I would install a ported LT4 supercharger. The car will actually be quicker with the LT4 blower vs a 2650 pullied for 9psi. You don't start getting into the 2650's efficiency range until 14-15psi. You can do a LT4 supercharger just over half of what a 2650 kit costs.

You have to keep in mind that the LT1 is much higher compression. It doesn't need as much boost to make power. So the LT4 supercharger pullied for 7psi with a blend of Ethanol will make an honest 580whp. And it won't have any heat issues at that power...especially ported. It could easily be turned up down the road for 750-800whp and still be capable.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 10:17 AM   #8
ZL1Atlanta

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
I wouldn't even mess with the 2650 at that power level. I would install a ported LT4 supercharger. The car will actually be quicker with the LT4 blower vs a 2650 pullied for 9psi. You don't start getting into the 2650's efficiency range until 14-15psi. You can do a LT4 supercharger just over half of what a 2650 kit costs.

You have to keep in mind that the LT1 is much higher compression. It doesn't need as much boost to make power. So the LT4 supercharger pullied for 7psi with a blend of Ethanol will make an honest 580whp. And it won't have any heat issues at that power...especially ported. It could easily be turned up down the road for 750-800whp and still be capable.
Good points as well!

Built by Vengeance Racing, tuned by Elite Tuned
ZL1Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 03:53 PM   #9
GAOLDGUY

Drives: 2012 GMC Sierra, 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
A Few More Hellion Comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by doritoboy100 View Post
Hello everyone,

I wanted to bring this back up and I read all of this with great interest because I believe the Hellion kit is extremely interesting. I like it because; (1) the power delivered vs. amount of boost appears to be fantastic, (2) no belt to break, slip, or change based on pully configuration, (3) no fluid to leak from cooling, (4) no water circulation to worry about. My main issue is they seem very rare. There is the one done by Jannetty (I try to read every post he produces), I think a member that goes by "hitmix300" did one, and there was another member "6thgenmadness" that was considering one. At the end of the day, I'm concerned about the low number of users. I feel like if I get a Maggy 2650 and upgrade my fuel system (toohighpsi) to run E85, I can get plenty of support on the forum if I have issues, however, I don't have that level of confidence that I can get advice if there are issues, long term, with Hellion. I do know their support is said to be good, but coming from a support background, I like to have multiple references. Two builds that interest me are Laynlo and Mike's son at "toohighpsi". Stock internals with added fuel and a 2650, running reasonable boost, making great power. Everything is a trade off. Any comments?
GAOLDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 05:54 PM   #10
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAOLDGUY View Post
I wanted to bring this back up and I read all of this with great interest because I believe the Hellion kit is extremely interesting. I like it because; (1) the power delivered vs. amount of boost appears to be fantastic, (2) no belt to break, slip, or change based on pully configuration, (3) no fluid to leak from cooling, (4) no water circulation to worry about. My main issue is they seem very rare. There is the one done by Jannetty (I try to read every post he produces), I think a member that goes by "hitmix300" did one, and there was another member "6thgenmadness" that was considering one. At the end of the day, I'm concerned about the low number of users. I feel like if I get a Maggy 2650 and upgrade my fuel system (toohighpsi) to run E85, I can get plenty of support on the forum if I have issues, however, I don't have that level of confidence that I can get advice if there are issues, long term, with Hellion. I do know their support is said to be good, but coming from a support background, I like to have multiple references. Two builds that interest me are Laynlo and Mike's son at "toohighpsi". Stock internals with added fuel and a 2650, running reasonable boost, making great power. Everything is a trade off. Any comments?
The Hellion kit requires a significant amount of work for installation. You generally need to get coolant to the turbos, not to mention oil to them as well, plus a drain back and tapping the oil pan. There are turbos that don’t need that but they don’t have the lifespan of the ones that do. There’s a good amount of heat shielding needed given how Hellion mounts the turbos up front. You’re relocating the coolant tank and power distribution block too…not fun. Their kit can supposedly support big power but I haven’t seen any of them outdo what one of our PD blower equipped cars have done on this board. Plus you’ll need a converter and probably a 2 step to get a decent launch.

All said and done, a twin turbo system can be awesome for those with the knowledge, patience, and time to invest (plus $$$ lol). I know @ArmedTrashPanda has a killer twin turbo build that he recently posted up that is drool worthy (not a Hellion). But for the rest of us, slapping on a Whipple 3.0 or Maggie can make you 700-800 WHP without trying and 1K+++ WHP no problem too. It drives like OEM and can be done in a weekend. Tough to beat.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:57 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAOLDGUY View Post
We had such impressive results that I am surprised more people have not gone Hellion twins.

I have sold and remotely supported several others that have also had great results.

In My opinion it is the cost and skill set required to do this correctly that deters many, seems most want to take the easy route which is somewhat understandable.

These systems are Top notch and combined with professional installation give stellar results boost for boost.

There is no debating turbos make more power Per LB of boost than any other option.

The system has the potential to make outrageous power but not without the fuel system upgrades which add another 2.5-3K to the project.

If there are any questions I can answer don't hesitate to reach out.

Ted.
Old 07-06-2023, 07:45 AM   #12
hitmix300
2016 loaded 2SS

Drives: Maverick X3 Turbo R
i have a hellion twin system and the installation was extensive. but to be honest i would never use another power adder besides turbo; so it was the right way to go for me.

the pita of the install is you have to cut and move and alter electrical stuff and other components that would have to be replaced later if you were to go back to stock; which sucks.

the power supersedes all the bs tho.
hitmix300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 07:25 AM   #13
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
I know several guys with pd builds and have been around a couple of turbo builds, on other platforms. I wouldn't hesitate to take any of the pd cars on a cross country road trip. I wouldn't dream of trying it in any of the turbo cars. OP, unless you have Hitmix300 or Parish8 level skills, tools, etc. I would not attempt a turbo build. If you're lucky, you may not have any major issues, but you WILL be working on something almost constantly. This is fine if you enjoy working on cars, and have the necessary skills, tools, and equipment. If not, your car will likely spend as much time at the shop as it does on the road
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 07:49 AM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

The biggest Killer for Turbo systems is installation techniques and experience.

When done by qualified professionals there are no problems we proved this time and time again.

Ted.

Tags
hellion, turbo