Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 03-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #1
12SilverBulletSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Wheel/tire quandary, setup for the track and street

So now that I am getting more track time on the 1LE, I need to get some new rubber for it. In my shed back home I have this setup brand new in the box:

-Stance FS06 in 20x10 (23mm bs) and 20x11 (43mm bs)
-Michelin MPSS tires 285/35/20 front and 295/35/20 rear

I had this setup for my 2012 2SS Camaro that I traded in for my 17 SS 1LE. Obviously the tires wont fit, but the rims will. So I am looking to put together a set of track only rims and tires with what I got. Here are my options as I see them:

1. Dismount the MPSS tires and sell them. Swap the TPS's, and mount a new set of factory rubber plus another set of factory rubber. In addition I was thinking about getting a set of MP4S's for daily duty. Essentially I would get two sets of SC3's (1 mounted, one not) and a set of MP4S's unmounted. All of that will be shipped to Abu Dhabi for free (Tires are expensive out here) where I would store the extra set of Goodyear's and have the MP4S's mounted to the factory wheels. The Stance rims are about 4 or 5 pounds lighter per corner so they will be good track rims.

PROs for COA 1: It never rains here so I am not really worried about rain. I dont run for low times at the track so I think dollar-for-dollar, the Goodyear's will fit the bill better. I can run the tires until they become garbage or cord so I should get a lot of enjoyment out of two sets of track only SC3's.

CONs for COA 1: It gets hot here in the summer, like 120-130 and I am not sure if the Goodyears are going to like that.

2. Sell the setup above to a 5th Gen guy (taking a huge loss) and buy just one set of track only tires and wheels (Maybe some 19's with Hoosier R7's) and one set of MP4S's for daily duty.

PROs for COA 2: They will work better (faster) and probably last longer than the SC3's under the conditions out here. The setup over all will be lighter than COA 1.

CONs for COA 2: This will cost quite a bit more by the time it is done. I paid $3400 for the original setup and I think I would be lucky to get $2000 for them now. I would only get one set of track tires and those are $2000 a set (not including wheels)! I just don't think that the performance gain is worth it considering I am not doing anything competitive.

3. I am open to other COAs as your collective wisdom in this area far exceeds my own (well some of you at least).
12SilverBulletSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:08 AM   #2
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I am in the same boat!! I am leaning toward selling my second set of 20"s from my 5th gen and getting 19s. Our wheels do not have many options for tires.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:18 AM   #3
12SilverBulletSS

The problem is, the factory rubber works so well, unless you are dropping lots of coin for an alternate rim size, it is not really worth it to swap to another brand. Even swapping to different tire sizes seems to have a negligible effect.

Will the ZL1 1LE tires sizes work on our cars? 305/30/19 and 325/30/19; Those are some seriously big meats! They are not much more than our factory sizes if a set of rims can be found to clear the MRC struts while still having an aggressive track alignment.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:28 AM   #4
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
There really is no good reason to get 19 rims.
18s are much better for tire choices and gearing.
But that would only make sense if gaining pace was a BIG priority and running slicks or Hoosiers was the plan.

Otherwise, I'd keep what you have and just run G3s for track as it is still a superbly fast tire. Assuming ultimate speed is not a priority and an economical set up is key.

Note that where I live Hoosiers are not street legal. They also won't last nearly as long as stockers. And as we all know reselling anything almost always leads to a financial loss so keep what you got. IMO.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:17 AM   #5
12SilverBulletSS

Yeah, I am leaning that way. I think two sets of G3s would last me a while. I will probably head out to Yas Marina once a month and they switch between the courses they have so most of the time it is once of the small course and not the full circuit. There is also a decent track in Dubai that I will go to once in a while.

I am assuming the MP4Ss would be a good street only tire and I should get decent life out of them. I don’t drive the car much but that will change once the wife gets here in Aug.