Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 05-12-2020, 05:53 PM   #1
DesignAlot

Drives: 2019 Shadow Gray 1SS M6
2SS door panels swap on 1SS

Hello, all. I have searched and read about possible issues doing this operation. People's power window switch would not work after adding 2SS door panels until swapping out the 1SS switch AND the wiring harness. My observation is this: The new 2SS door panel has the spectrum lighting, the wiring, and the rgb bulbs. If I switch out the wiring harness, the rgb lighting harness is part of that, won't I lose functionality? I know the car has to be flashed to control the colors and stuff. I have not plugged them in to see what actually happens yet. What I want... retain power mirror functionality and gain rgb lighting to work. Is this at all possible?!
Old 05-12-2020, 06:06 PM   #2
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
For rgb on a 1ss it's going to take more work then swapping the door panel. They make a kit for this about $600 and includes harness and where to splice, and dealer flash of the radio for the new options. From what I searched it's a PITA.
Or if you search people bought some led and did it themselves with the lighted door part there and control it with their phones or a remote for about $50. Check the DIY section
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:25 PM   #3
DesignAlot

I also want to know if the control box is necessary, or flashing the radio and computer is enough to control it without that box. And if I used other lights I'm not quite sure how to pull these out of the door panel they look like they could twist or unplug but I'm not sure I don't want to break it.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:41 PM   #4
Lemmy Camaro
Theoren Hanks

Drives: 17 Camaro SS
I did an install with the 2SS door panels and used an aftermarket rgb controller with LEDs at the ends of the wires. I tapped it into the light pipes and ran the wires. Controller tapped into the trunk release button for power. Total install cost was $285ish
Lemmy Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:06 AM   #5
The Blackheart

Drives: 2019 SS/1LE Riverside Blue, Z/28s
How difficult is it to swap door panels? What sort of hardware/clips etc do you need to ensure it is successful?
The Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:12 PM   #6
DesignAlot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmy Camaro View Post
I did an install with the 2SS door panels and used an aftermarket rgb controller with LEDs at the ends of the wires. I tapped it into the light pipes and ran the wires. Controller tapped into the trunk release button for power. Total install cost was $285ish
How did you remove factory rgb bulbs? I have been twisting and pulling, there has to be some kind of trick to this...
Old 05-13-2020, 08:36 PM   #7
19coupe

Drives: '21 LT1 SSM 10spd
I did the swap but haven't tried to add the lights yet. Didn't swap any wiring and everything works except the mirrors and of course seat memory. Anyone have ideas on the mirrors?
19coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:21 PM   #8
Lemmy Camaro
Theoren Hanks

Drives: 17 Camaro SS
I actually broke the light piping off the very top. That has the mount for the small board. I then used a transparent clear epoxy to hold the new ones in. O didn't have to get any extra hardware for the door panels. I got lucky and didn't break a clip. However I'd recommend getting all new clips and hardware. I've noticed a small rattle on the top back portion of my driver door panel because I reused the old hardware
Lemmy Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:45 PM   #9
DesignAlot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19coupe View Post
I did the swap but haven't tried to add the lights yet. Didn't swap any wiring and everything works except the mirrors and of course seat memory. Anyone have ideas on the mirrors?
I have read you have to unscrew and remove old mirror switches from old door panel and install in 2ss door panel. Then, if they still don't work you change the wiring harness over as well.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:46 PM   #10
DesignAlot

On ebay, they sell t10 sockets with wiring, and sell T10 rgb bulbs with a remote. I am waiting until I get that, to attempt the swap. Then, no matter what, I will be able to finish the project up. I will let everyone know how it goes. Expecting rgb bulbs next week. I have everything else currently.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:58 AM   #11
DesignAlot

Well, left the passenger side door panel new 2ss wiring harness intact, no problems that side. Driver side, sadly, I had to change old buttons AND old wiring harness over. Mirrors and everything else works as it should.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:02 AM   #12
DesignAlot

The ambient lighting... I picked ONE COLOR led blue bulbs. I butchered the factory light holder and JB weld the NEW 169 bulb harness in place. I connected power to the little door light led wire to make ambient lights work. I am fine with one color, I had nothing before. Also I have the extra leather at the top of the new panels and the big silver boomerang is brushed aluminum instead of silver paint as my original 1SS panels had. The LED RGB bulbs would not respond to remote control through my door panel when I tried that way. The looked and worked great with multiple colors, but only worked when panel was off.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:02 AM   #13
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I went the full eBay lights route. Bought the door panel light tubes from another member and the center console light tube piece seperate, then bought some lights from eBay that advertised as fiber optic and controllable by app. Routed the wires myself through the console and doors, tapped power at the cig lighter and only issue I’ve had was keeping the lights from falling away since I only used hot glue.

Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 07:52 PM   #14
IanCC

Drives: Summit White V6 M6 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
I went the full eBay lights route. Bought the door panel light tubes from another member and the center console light tube piece seperate, then bought some lights from eBay that advertised as fiber optic and controllable by app. Routed the wires myself through the console and doors, tapped power at the cig lighter and only issue I’ve had was keeping the lights from falling away since I only used hot glue.

Hey Bumbleboy, I was thinking about shelling out for the full spectrum lighting kit, but after reading Hyper1SS's post on that and seeing how much work it takes, I'm liking your solution a lot!

I already bough some used 2LT interior door panels for my 1LT with the hardware for the lights to go behind, so I will have the proper "boomerangs" on the doors to run the new LED wires.

Curious if you're still happy with how yours worked out and do you have any tips how you did it?

I've found some LED wires online, but wondering which one you used and if you were happy them still.

And, I'm assuming you did separate feeds for each door, plus the cup holder, then joined them all together with the footwell lighting power source?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
IanCC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2ss, ambient, door panels, lighting, rgb