Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 01-11-2021, 10:38 AM   #29
puppykat33

Drives: Black 2019 ZL1 M6,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA....I LOL'd when I read that. Asking someone to prove something doesnt exist HAHAHAHAHA.....oh man.....
Yea i have no idea what that means. I read it several times to try and figure it out and still ... I got nothing
2019 Black ZL1, M6, CF Hood and Dash, Nav System, ZL1 Addons rock guards and lift points, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, DD Smoked Marker Lights, Ceramic window tint, Gtechniq 9yr ceramic coating. JL Audio stealth box 12W6, Dyanamat trunk, Dead pedal cover, Soler TB/TC, Green Filter, Carbon-fiber Borla S-Type
puppykat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:41 AM   #30
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppykat33 View Post
The guy at elite engineering has give lots of proof why they are beneficial to the life of your engine. from reducing valve deposits to reducing oil fuel dilution. Plenty of videos showing how much theses things catch and how much build up occurs . I dont have a can myself but there is plenty of proof.

If you are asking for exact numbers on HP reduction over given number of years then there is no way to give that exact data due to different driving styles , and a myriad of other factors.

And you say they are not necessary and i was asking you for your specific proof why they are not? Seen plenty of videos of oil puddles in LT4 superchargers
But you can't point to ONE example of an LT1 with deposits of any consequence.

I do agree driving habits matter, IMO it's a good idea to operate the engine at higher rpms and/or on the highway for a while to get the temps up so deposits don't accumulate.

Dude from Elite doesn't seem to post on this anymore. IDK why?
Old 01-11-2021, 10:41 AM   #31
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
FWIW, the recommended service schedule in my 2021 ZL1 owners manual mentions absolutely nothing about valve cleaning, at any mileage. Just checked after someone mentioned a walnut blast in here. Nope.
There isn't one it's a dealership level money grab for people that haven't got a clue.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:41 AM   #32
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppykat33 View Post
Yea i have no idea what that means. I read it several times to try and figure it out and still ... I got nothing
It's not possible to prove a negative. Burden of proof is with the folks saying CCs make a difference, not the other way 'round.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:42 AM   #33
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I chose not to run one on the Camaro but did use one on my Coyote 5.0 and the amount of oil it trapped that potentially as vapor etc etc that goes back through the intake, i'd much prefer to dump that out and deal with it that way that back through the intake.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:43 AM   #34
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Well, I have a catch can and it catches a good amount of what smells like a mixture of oil/gas, our cars aren't port injected so there should be no gas in the intake air, also I may not know as much as other people here about cars but I THINK that our engine has an AIR intake, not a OIL intake; Is there any sort of measurable/tangible benefit I feel in the short term? No, but I'd at least like to believe it's helping with a situation that's less than ideal (oil in the intake).

As for the actual topic, OP, I've never had an issue with the dealership doing service and the catch can.

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:48 AM   #35
zupesterLT1
2018 Convertible ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Convertible
Thanks for the debate everyone. I am intending to supercharge mine soon. Doing preliminary upgrades first, CAI and borla exhaust.
zupesterLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:00 AM   #36
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
There's a good chance someone has already mentioned that Chevy's warranty basically allows them walkaway from it even if they suspect you're racing or close to it
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 01:22 PM   #37
Xaxas

Quote:
Originally Posted by zupesterLT1 View Post
Thanks for the debate everyone. I am intending to supercharge mine soon. Doing preliminary upgrades first, CAI and borla exhaust.
About ~2500-3000 miles on a 5000 mile NA car, this would have gone back to the throttle body and valves over time, you decide if $150 is worth the piece of mind; now, for evidence of catch cans NOT working, well, that's not on me
Attached Images

Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Old 01-12-2021, 02:27 PM   #38
RWT

Drives: 2020 Camaro RS
I'll join the hijack.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I do find it interesting. I personally wouldn't install a catch-can just because of the possible warranty issues. So for me the argument is purely academic.

Playing the devil's advocate, if oil/air separation isn't a issue why did GM patent a new two stage "Oil Separator Assembly" on December 11, 2018? They started using it sometime after patent application in 2016 (patent pending). My 2018 Colorado with the HFV6 LGZ engine had it, as does my 2020 Camaro RS with the HFV6 LGX engine. Both engines are naturally aspirated.

The article says the new two stage Oil Separator Assembly, "can alleviate pre-ignition due to oil in the combustion chamber"...It does not say anything, however, about carbon build up on valves. The actual patent refers to the presence of oil in the combustion chamber and pre-ignition relationship as hypothetical. Again, no mention of carbon build up on valves. See both the article and the patent below.

The article:
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/01...ator-assembly/

The Patent:
https://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-cont...2019-USPTO.pdf

No expertise implied or expressed

2020 Camaro RS, V6, 6MT, Satin Steel
2020 Silverado, 5.3L CC, RST, Z71, Shadow Gray
2019 Equinox LS, 1.5L Turbo, Nightfall Gray Metallic
RWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:15 PM   #39
koolkat68

Drives: 2022 Vivid Orange Metallic LT1
I for one am glad I have a catch can. Here is what was in the can.

Second pic is what it looked like when I dumped it out. Was the consistency of eggs being ready to scramble. This was after about 2000 miles.
Attached Images

koolkat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:46 PM   #40
Xaxas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWT View Post
I'll join the hijack.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I do find it interesting. I personally wouldn't install a catch-can just because of the possible warranty issues. So for me the argument is purely academic.

Playing the devil's advocate, if oil/air separation isn't a issue why did GM patent a new two stage "Oil Separator Assembly" on December 11, 2018? They started using it sometime after patent application in 2016 (patent pending). My 2018 Colorado with the HFV6 LGZ engine had it, as does my 2020 Camaro RS with the HFV6 LGX engine. Both engines are naturally aspirated.

The article says the new two stage Oil Separator Assembly, "can alleviate pre-ignition due to oil in the combustion chamber"...It does not say anything, however, about carbon build up on valves. The actual patent refers to the presence of oil in the combustion chamber and pre-ignition relationship as hypothetical. Again, no mention of carbon build up on valves. See both the article and the patent below.

The article:
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/01...ator-assembly/

The Patent:
https://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-cont...2019-USPTO.pdf

No expertise implied or expressed
Thanks for sharing this, I will def give it a read, but it's clear GM is trying to alleviate the blowby issue in a way that doesn't really require maintenance, could be a result of newer engines having turbos and high compression ratios, everyone heralded DI as the best thing for tuning, performance and efficiency, now you're seeing automakers going back to adding PI and combining it with DI, guess they know something we don't after years of data (and complaints)?

I also think there's a certain not liked German automaker who we have to thank for shedding light into this issue.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:12 PM   #41
The_Dudebozo

Drives: 2016 2SS
@koolkat68, why does your gas/oil junk look like that in your catchcan? Mine doesn’t look like that.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:12 AM   #42
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dudebozo View Post
@koolkat68, why does your gas/oil junk look like that in your catchcan? Mine doesn’t look like that.
He lives in Michigan, a lot more cold starts and moisture...

Mine is SoCal looks like this:

Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote