Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-16-2020, 09:24 PM   #1
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
Turtle Wax has graphene now

Can't want to try this stuff out once my supply of the ceramic stuff runs dry.

What do y'all think?
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:57 AM   #2
EJR8402

Drives: 2019 Red Hot 1SS "Scarlett"
Graphene intrigues me, as I've always been hesitant to use ceramic because of its propensity for water-spotting. I'm eager to try this or something like it.
EJR8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:57 AM   #3
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Will buy it after I exhaust my current stock of TW seal&shine, Megs HCW etc. Looks good from what I see in the reviews.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Ceramic water spotting is a problem and "ceramic" is now scaring people off ... as it should if you own a dark paint car and don't have PPF or other durable hydrophobic coating.

Graphene is just the latest marketing scam. They're just literally adding milligrams of reduced graphene oxide powder to the bottle so they can market it. It's the poly-xx-siloxanes that are doing the work. RGO adds nothing to the hydrophobicity, nothing for durability, and claims of "improved thermal dissipation" are complete bullsh!t.

That said, some of the newer poly-xxx-siloxane formulations are really good. Excellent hydrophobic properties, easy application and good longevity. And some of these will indeed be branded as graphene coatings.

Bottom line: don't buy a coating for the graphene buzzword expecting that <0.0001 %wt of any pixie dust will actually make a hill of beans of difference vs. a non-graphene coating. Buy the coating because it works well regardless of whether it has graphene in the name or not.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:14 PM   #5
indyz

Yes, had some waterspots on my ceramic coated mazda. And I have met people who had to polish off their ceramic coatings due to etched waterspots.

From the video above "the ceramic side did a little better with the waterspotting versus the graphene side".

I live in waterspot heaven (florida). I'll pass, no thanks. Stick to turtle-wax S&S, megs HCW and sonax BSD.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:40 PM   #6
ramairroughneck

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
I have ceramic on my Camaro and while it has a great shine and water runs off very well, I won’t be doing it again. That is very true about the water spots. They are ridiculous. You certainly want to always dry the car off or you will suffer the consequences. The shine and hydrophobic properties of the current polishes on the market are so good. There is really no need to bother with ceramic. I’ve been using Turtle Wax’s Seal and Shine on my truck. While there is a lot of beading with it, it doesn’t seam to get water spots imbedded in the surface, that are an absolute pain to buff off. I and am looking forward to trying their Graphine polish. If it’s even more durable then it’s gonna be a home run.
ramairroughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 06:37 PM   #7
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
True graphene products at a reasonable price will require more efficient manufacturing techniques, it's currently expensive. I have some real graphene in wax lube and it's absolutely amazing, a real game changer... but it cost me $150 for a few ounces!
Old 12-18-2020, 06:47 PM   #8
indyz

Just saw Scott H's video comparison longevity test on graphene based products. 303 already failed at 2 weeks