Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 11-13-2020, 08:44 AM   #15
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
Why's that? The SS needed them because the brakes and OE ducting are undersized compared to the braking (i.e. thermal energy dissipation) needs on track from the factory. SS 1LE, ZL1, and ZLE don't have that issue, so there's no need to develop and include this kit for the trims above the SS from the factory.
+1
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:07 AM   #16
JT Camaro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Why's that? The SS needed them because the brakes and OE ducting are undersized compared to the braking (i.e. thermal energy dissipation) needs on track from the factory. SS 1LE, ZL1, and ZLE don't have that issue, so there's no need to develop and include this kit for the trims above the SS from the factory.
For 1, they would be universal so nothing to design or test. 2) more cooling is always better
JT Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:06 AM   #17
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Camaro View Post
For 1, they would be universal so nothing to design or test. 2) more cooling is always better
Anyone can get them for just a few bucks. They are super cheap. But, they hang very low and hence are track only part unless one travels perfect roads only.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:11 AM   #18
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
1) Not necessarily universal. I believe on the 19" wheels they rub pretty severely IIRC due to the smaller diameter and extra width? Plus, as an OE, they have best practices they need to meet in terms of clearances to wheels and other parts and other validating they need to do before giving something to the public. GM won't just throw parts out there without testing to make sure they're not causing any unforeseen issues so there would be testing involved either way. 2) True that in general more cooling is typically better, but that doesn't mean it's needed. OEs push to take pennies (or even <1¢) out of things for cost savings, so in a situation where the stock parts can still generate enough brake torque to lock wheels up at track temps and the stock cooling is adequate to keep parts from overheating, shorten part life, and/or cause failures, there's no need to spend the extra couple of dollars per vehicle.

Fortunately for those that do want it, as TrackClub pointed out, it's really cheap to buy so it's easy to handle on our own after buying the car.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:30 AM   #19
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Sorry guys this argument is just dumb.

Quote:
because of what he said

PLENTY of people can make stock 1LE, ZL1/ZLE brakes fade so why not get more cooling?
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #20
Alpha1BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Sorry guys this argument is just dumb.
What's dumb about it? All that's happening is an explanation of why GM doesn't include these ducts with ALL trims instead of just the SS.

Quote:
PLENTY of people can make stock 1LE, ZL1/ZLE brakes fade so why not get more cooling?
Yes, but fade ≠ need for more cooling. You can add the ducts for more cooling if you like and reduce fade, I'm not disagreeing with that since there's always room for improvement. But, even at the faded state you can still lock all 4 wheels (i.e. get into ABS) with reasonable pedal force, and the heat in the system isn't enough to damage or severely hinder anything meaning it's not an absolute requirement to run additional cooling, hence GM not including those bigger ducts with 1LE, ZL1, or ZLE.

Last edited by Alpha1BC; 11-13-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Alpha1BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #21
weemus

As far as hanging low, they do and may rub. Its a $15 dollar part and plastic, so as someone said in another thread it will self clearance. I have rubbed them on some track curbing when going over the curb (very limited areas such as Road Atlanta at the exit of the uphill esses). I run them all the time and daily driving have only scraped once to twice.

Here is the difference.Running with my friend at RA
Stock

SS Deflectors

Last edited by weemus; 11-14-2020 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Pics
weemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 12:29 PM   #22
JT Camaro

Quote:
1) Not necessarily universal. I believe on the 19" wheels they rub pretty severely IIRC due to the smaller diameter and extra width? Plus, as an OE, they have best practices they need to meet in terms of clearances to wheels and other parts and other validating they need to do before giving something to the public. GM won't just throw parts out there without testing to make sure they're not causing any unforeseen issues so there would be testing involved either way. 2) True that in general more cooling is typically better, but that doesn't mean it's needed. OEs push to take pennies (or even <1¢) out of things for cost savings, so in a situation where the stock parts can still generate enough brake torque to lock wheels up at track temps and the stock cooling is adequate to keep parts from overheating, shorten part life, and/or cause failures, there's no need to spend the extra couple of dollars per vehicle.

Fortunately for those that do want it, as TrackClub pointed out, it's really cheap to buy so it's easy to handle on our own after buying the car.
In theory, yes, in practice I think we have all seen different (ZO6).
In either case, this is the first I'm hearing of it not clearing 19s...that would defeat the purpose for me
Old 11-14-2020, 03:23 PM   #23
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Those SS track deflectors work with no issues on 19x11 +11 & 18x11 +10.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:22 PM   #24
JT Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
Those SS track deflectors work with no issues on 19x11 +11 & 18x11 +10.
Thanks for the info...will order a set
Old 11-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #25
Alpha1BC

Quote:
In theory, yes, in practice I think we have all seen different (ZO6).
In either case, this is the first I'm hearing of it not clearing 19s...that would defeat the purpose for me
Right, maybe should rephrase it to they *should* do that development work haha.

And I remembered partially incorrectly on the clearance point, my bad. With the 19s there's no tire/wheel contact, but they will self clearance with the ground (worse on the 19s than they will on the 20s, obviously). You just have to deal with them flipping whatever is on the road up towards the rotors (i.e. slightly higher risk of getting stones and other crap getting wedged in the brakes). Not saying anyone shouldn't use deflectors because of that, just something to be cognizant of. I'd think slightly beefier bolts are probably a good idea too so the heads don't snap as guards clearance themselves as previously mentioned in the thread.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:57 AM   #26
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
haha yea mine are pretty scraped
Old 11-16-2020, 12:42 PM   #27
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
What's dumb about it? All that's happening is an explanation of why GM doesn't include these ducts with ALL trims instead of just the SS.

Yes, but fade ≠ need for more cooling. You can add the ducts for more cooling if you like and reduce fade, I'm not disagreeing with that since there's always room for improvement. But, even at the faded state you can still lock all 4 wheels (i.e. get into ABS) with reasonable pedal force, and the heat in the system isn't enough to damage or severely hinder anything meaning it's not an absolute requirement to run additional cooling, hence GM not including those bigger ducts with 1LE, ZL1, or ZLE.
Trying to convince someone not to buy them by saying they are not "needed" is dumb is what I meant to say I guess.

Idk about faded brakes hitting ABS on track either. I don't think I've ever engaged ABS on track. Ice mode sure and that sucks, but that's a different topic...
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:12 PM   #28
Alpha1BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Trying to convince someone not to buy them by saying they are not "needed" is dumb is what I meant to say I guess.

Idk about faded brakes hitting ABS on track either. I don't think I've ever engaged ABS on track. Ice mode sure and that sucks, but that's a different topic...
Gotcha, that's fair. I wasn't trying to dissuade anyone from getting them, more just wanted to clarify that they weren't absolutely necessary for stock setups since it seemed OP was under the impression that they were necessary track equipment like they are on the SS.

And I've gotten into ABS on track so I can confirm that at least lol. Can still consistently get it at the end of a 20 minute session on an all stock SS 1LE with good tires and high 80s/sunny/dry, that is. There absolutely is noticeable fade once everything is up to steady-state operating temps and it takes pretty significant pedal force to get into it, but it is still possible. I personally prefer having to push harder on the pedal to get to lock since it gives more room for modulation up to that point, but I know that's not necessarily how everyone else like their cars to respond and can understand the benefit of putting the ducts or other extra cooling to reduce fade. I've even had a set of ducts sitting in my garage for a few month or so with plans to see if I like them when I'm back on track, and if not sit on them until I start adding power once warranty is up. Figure for $15-20 it's worth it to find out if it maintains pedal feel to my liking while also helping temps stay a bit lower to improve longevity.