Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 02-21-2019, 07:00 PM   #1
red6.2

Drives: 2010 camaro
Attention Camaro 1le track rats.

How many track miles have you put on your Camaro 1le?

How many miles have you put on your 1le camaro?

Any issues whatever?

Any aftermarket modifications done to your powertrain because of tracking?

What has come loose if any (not talking lug nuts here) lol ?

How long has the stock clutch last you?

Is the transmission and gears fine after 50k miles?

Any issues? please report. Car has been out for two years now with good amount of people tracking them. Want to get in a 1le for road course within the next year. Just want too know what has broken or needs to be replaced.
red6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:35 PM   #2
SpazmXylam
Because Racecar!

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
13k miles on car
not sure about track miles... but a little over 20 hours on track.
finally getting new tires for the up coming track season
no issues (almost. see "what came loose")
no aftermarket mods. I was impressed with the OE tires so i bought the same one for the next set.
During my first track outing by the end of the day the front end was clanking. Sway bar link nut was loose. simply re torque and move on.
trans shows no signs of an issue (though i'm at 13k miles on the car)

My only issue is that it is a little tight for head room with a helmet on. If you are over 6' tall, test fit one while wearing your helmet.
SpazmXylam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:53 AM   #3
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
15k miles in two years. About 15 track days. Don't know the track miles. Bone stock except for Moreno camber plates (I went too far with them though). No issues ever. Change oil after two track weekends or 4000 miles whichever comes first. Diff oil after 5 track weekends or annually. Trans fluid once. On third set of OE tires. On 5th set of OE brake pads and second set of front rotors.

The car has been absolutely bulletproof. Tire and brake consumables are pretty expensive though. I stopped dailying the car so it could stay fresher for the track. Went with an ND Miata to daily.

I will note that cosmetically the car is a bit vulnerable. Rock chips on the front of course, but also in front of the rear tires. Don't expect the paint to stay perfect if you track the car or drive on the street with these crazy OE tires. The steering wheel and shifter suede also wore out pretty fast but I haven't bothered to replace them yet. They seem to wear faster on the track when I use gloves but the suede grip is excellent. So I guess they work as intended if you consider them wear items.

Previous cars:
- 2018 Miata RF GT (Machine Gray/Auburn)
- 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE (Summit White)
- 2008 BMW 135i (Montego Blue)
- 1996 BMW 328i (Arctic Silver)
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:15 AM   #4
pbsinternet1le

Drives: 2017 1le current /2015 2ss 1le sold
Fluids, tires, brakes, repeat.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:45 AM   #5
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I'm just shy of 10k miles on the car being essentially stock (aside from brake fluid, alignment, and oil catch can), 6 total track days. Aside from keeping up with fluids/consumables, only issues I've had are the front stab bar links loosening and the wheel clicking noise issue. I put blue loctite on stab bar link nuts and a very light coating of anti-seize on the wheel/rotor interface and neither of these issues have come back.

I absolutely recommend a 1LE for road course use. So far the car seems extremely well suited for the track and doesn't show signs of needing anything major to keep it going.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #6
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
I'd wager I probably have the most track miles of a SS 1LE, around ~8k on track miles. 20k total miles. Most of my miles are driving to/from the track.

Thus far
-many sets of tires
-many sets of brake pads
-I'm about to mount my 4th set of front rotors and my 2nd set of rear rotors
-I change the engine oil about every 3-4 events, I've never seen my "oil life %" go belove 50% (this guage is appaently based upon usage). Usually 2k miles
-I change the transmission fluid about 2x a year, and I change the diff fluid with almost every oil change. The one fluid that ALWAYS looks terrible, is the diff fluid. I use my car very hard, so I change it regularly (plus its very easy to change on a lift)
-Only mechanical issue I've had that was unforseen was an aux radiator got punctured driving on the highway around VIR... not on track
-My rear wheel bearing are making noise right now, so I'll be replacing those before my next event. I'm not complaning one bit about these wearing out, I've used my car very hard for many track miles on sticky street tires and many sets of Non-DOT Pirelli slicks. Wheel bearings are a wear item, plus they're only $73 per side.

I talked more than a few people into the SS 1LE, I'm a lifelong Porsche enthusiast that couldn't resist a $42k car that can run with GT3's and GT4's from the factory, and that doesn't overheat on track. One of my good friends who was a Porsche Cayman owner drove my car @ VIR on street tires, he got out of my car and said... "well the Cayman is for sale". 6 months later, he bought a SS 1LE.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ctivision View Post
The steering wheel and shifter suede also wore out pretty fast but I haven't bothered to replace them yet. They seem to wear faster on the track when I use gloves but the suede grip is excellent. So I guess they work as intended if you consider them wear items.
Huh? Wore out as in matted down and shiny? All you need to do is take a damp microfiber cloth and massage the matted areas... voila, the alcantara stands up just like new. I do this to my wheel/shifter every few months.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #8
nasbagoat

Drives: 17 SW 1LE
Best car ive ever owned. Tires, brake pads, fluids, repeat...
nasbagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:09 AM   #9
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Best car ever. Incredible track package bone stock plus alignment and fluids - that's it.
2 seasons close to 40 days with zero issues.
Consumables and maintenance about the same as Provoste. Stock tires which rival more expensive Cup2s and RE71Rs last about 6-7 days. As all others it seems.
EDIT: RS4s last a good 12 days based on Provoste's experience.

What to check:
1) some early cars had an electrical harness rubbing against AC belt. Easy to check and tie it off if necessary
2) several cars (incl mine) had F end links get loose. Once tightened they stayed tight.
3) Factory alignment can be all over the place best to set it to track asap.

GM warranty covers track duty in case something goes boom.

Thats it

Last edited by TrackClub; 02-22-2019 at 11:32 AM.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:18 PM   #10
Yanbags

Drives: '17 SS 1LE
I echo the same that everyone else mentioned. ~9.5k miles on mine now and ~16-20 full track days on the car. No mods, only track alignment and pads/fluid. I continue to use OEM tires; they provide an awesome performance/$ ratio. Regular maintenance and I also do diff fluid at the start of every season. Haven't done trans fluid yet, but I probably should...

The only issue I've had per se is that I've cooked the rubber boots in the front calipers but I'm leaving it alone for now. Probably too much heat from the race pads - this wasn't an issue with OEM pads. KNSBrakes sells a brake duct kit now that looks nice. I think I'm going to pick that up and install for the warmer months this season.

Like TrackClub mentioned - keep an eye on rear axle bolts and endlinks (there are TSBs for both of these); check those as part of your regular tech. I've never had either loosen.
Yanbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #11
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
39k miles total here, used to be my daily driver and also has been through 8 track days including 2 at road america. So far only have had two issues: 1) ac belt was rubbing wiring harness, fixed by dealer (as mentioned above by TrackClub) 2) Oil pan was very slowly leaking oil last summer. Caught it and had entire pan replaced by dealer with no cost to me. Bone stock minus the borla cat back and knock on wood zero other issues. Still cant believe how awesome the 1LE is for the money and how much confidence it inspires in a novice driver like myself.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:35 PM   #12
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
15 track days last year and no issues except needs more driver mods. Follow track prep guide and good to go.
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:58 PM   #13
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Huh? Wore out as in matted down and shiny? All you need to do is take a damp microfiber cloth and massage the matted areas... voila, the alcantara stands up just like new. I do this to my wheel/shifter every few months.
Yeah, the suede has fully worn off the wheel where the thumb rests are. I do clean it every couple of months.

Previous cars:
- 2018 Miata RF GT (Machine Gray/Auburn)
- 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE (Summit White)
- 2008 BMW 135i (Montego Blue)
- 1996 BMW 328i (Arctic Silver)
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:36 PM   #14
Trackpack

Drives: 1LE
39k daily driven miles and ~5 track days. I run snow tires in the winter and so far have replaced the stock tires with the same thing a couple of times. It has a Mishimoto catch can which is the only modification. I've changed the rear diff fluid, given it a track alignment, in addition to running the oil specifically for track days. The car is due for front brake pads but the backs have more than 50% left.

Issues:
Front sway bar end links needed to be tightened after the first track day - I'll buy the TSB locknuts this spring
Lost an exhaust valve and the camshaft (it was 6 weeks after my last track day so unrelated. My fairly large dealership said they had never seen this before and they know it sees track time.)

The best and fastest track car I've owned in more than 15 years of track work. I'm faster in this car because it feels stable, safe and predictable. On my short track I believe I'm 1/2 second faster than the highest level of Race PTM. I'm not getting any trophies so PTM is less stressful than running all off. Another benefit of PTM is it keeps my 19 year old son safe while still allowing him to get a little sideways;}
Trackpack is offline   Reply With Quote