Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-31-2019, 11:29 AM   #15
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
wonder how many broken blocks there will be after this little bout of weather there. 50/50 antifreeze only keeps things not frozen down to -35. hope everyone in the affected area switched to a mix that they use in alaska.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:55 AM   #16
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
wonder how many broken blocks there will be after this little bout of weather there. 50/50 antifreeze only keeps things not frozen down to -35. hope everyone in the affected area switched to a mix that they use in alaska.
It wouldn't hard freeze and crack a block. It would just get slushy and not flow well, plus there is plenty of expansion room in modern engines.
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:39 PM   #17
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
In our manual it says to use "Top Tier Gas" in our cars and I do not have any of the gas stations in my area as of right now until I move. Ive been using Speedway, is this going to damage it?
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:54 PM   #18
cellsafemode

no.

it wont.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:33 AM   #19
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
no.

it wont.
Awesome I never knew what to do about it.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:24 AM   #20
Tex2SS
16 Camaro 2SS Convertible

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
In our manual it says to use "Top Tier Gas" in our cars and I do not have any of the gas stations in my area as of right now until I move. Ive been using Speedway, is this going to damage it?
I just got my car back from the dealer and the service rep mentioned that he noticed that my car was "missing" when he was test driving it after they did the transmissions 3xflush to remediate the transmission fluid issue.

He told me that I should try to find a gas station that has Top Tier fuel and that I should use a high octane booster every 3 or 4 refills.

I have been using 93 octane exclusively ( 7-Eleven & Shell ) in this car since getting it, but I am not sure what the previous owner was using. He was a wealthy individual, so I am assuming that he was feeding it the good stuff as well.

I did notice what he was describing before as well, but I thought that it was just the way these cars ran. I mainly notice it when idling at a stop light.

Tex2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:09 AM   #21
cellsafemode

Nobody should ever suggest using octane booster, that just seems amateurish and not something a pro would suggest to correct a problem.

I'd look into new plug wires and/or new spark plugs. Bad wires can happen whenever and they are more noticeable at idle.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #22
Tex2SS

Quote:
Nobody should ever suggest using octane booster, that just seems amateurish and not something a pro would suggest to correct a problem.

I'd look into new plug wires and/or new spark plugs. Bad wires can happen whenever and they are more noticeable at idle.
How do you feel about using something like Sea Foam to clean things out a bit since the car sat for a couple of years?

Old 04-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #23
cellsafemode

seafoam is good. I dont knock the efficacy of using cleaners and such in general. I just knock the idea that a professional would suggest such additives and what amounts to mostly snakeoil (when talking about octane boosters/additives) over some advice that uses at least a little bit of their supposedly professional knowledge of what could cause such symptoms and give you actual specific things you need to do to correct them permanently.

However, if you had fuel in the car for years, you should dump it all and replace with new fuel before firing it up as fuel doesn't last that long without additives specially meant for long term storage (staybil) and even that, isn't something I'd use in a car you care about.

Simply sitting isn't going to be something that seafoam really helps with anyway. Seafoam helps break up carbon buildup ...which only happens when you run the car, not let it sit. You'll probably need injector cleaning / spark plug replacement / fuel filter replacement, new fuel, perhaps new oil (just to be safe). And I'm not sure such cleaning of the fuel system is something you can rely on an additive to do if it's been sitting so long. You may need to take them out and do it directly if you want them really cleaned.

Additives get sued all the time for the claims they make. Most have fine print that talk about how they're meant to be used _all_ the time in order to do what they claim. Cleaning something that's already dirty is usually excluded.

Last edited by cellsafemode; 04-24-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #24
sadboyleo

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
seafoam is good. I dont knock the efficacy of using cleaners and such in general. I just knock the idea that a professional would suggest such additives and what amounts to mostly snakeoil (when talking about octane boosters/additives) over some advice that uses at least a little bit of their supposedly professional knowledge of what could cause such symptoms and give you actual specific things you need to do to correct them permanently.

However, if you had fuel in the car for years, you should dump it all and replace with new fuel before firing it up as fuel doesn't last that long without additives specially meant for long term storage (staybil) and even that, isn't something I'd use in a car you care about.

Simply sitting isn't going to be something that seafoam really helps with anyway. Seafoam helps break up carbon buildup ...which only happens when you run the car, not let it sit. You'll probably need injector cleaning / spark plug replacement / fuel filter replacement, new fuel, perhaps new oil (just to be safe). And I'm not sure such cleaning of the fuel system is something you can rely on an additive to do if it's been sitting so long. You may need to take them out and do it directly if you want them really cleaned.

Additives get sued all the time for the claims they make. Most have fine print that talk about how they're meant to be used _all_ the time in order to do what they claim. Cleaning something that's already dirty is usually excluded.
Wouldn't this be covered under the power train warranty?
sadboyleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #25
Tex2SS

Quote:

I ordered some Sea Foam just to see if it helps. The original owner had the oil changed right before I bought it and I ran all of the gas that he had in it out of the car to the point that I really didn't think I was going to make it to the gas station. lol

As the poster above asked.... would the injector cleaning, plugs, wires, fuel filter be covered under warranty or are they wear and tear parts that I am responsible for?

Thanks,
Tex

Old 04-24-2019, 02:13 PM   #26
sadboyleo

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2SS View Post
I ordered some Sea Foam just to see if it helps. The original owner had the oil changed right before I bought it and I ran all of the gas that he had in it out of the car to the point that I really didn't think I was going to make it to the gas station. lol

As the poster above asked.... would the injector cleaning, plugs, wires, fuel filter be covered under warranty or are they wear and tear parts that I am responsible for?

Thanks,
Tex
How many miles are on your car?
sadboyleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #27
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
It's .40 more where I live. So that's $14 more a month for 93 over 87. For that the engine will produce more timing due to less knock, better throttle response, and more power.
More power? What,5HP max. Just stop.
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:33 PM   #28
Tex2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadboyleo View Post
How many miles are on your car?
1,400 Miles