Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-16-2019, 10:11 AM   #1
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
2016 Cadillac ATS 2.0T= Camaro I4?

My wife recently bought a used 2016 Cadillac ATS 2.0T and I have to say that I am surprised at how sporty it drives. It has some punch that I wasn't expecting.

I don't know if that is the same exact engine/turbo that the 2019 I4 Camaro has, is it pretty much the same?
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
Austin_504

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 2.0t
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin803 View Post
My wife recently bought a used 2016 Cadillac ATS 2.0T and I have to say that I am surprised at how sporty it drives. It has some punch that I wasn't expecting.

I don't know if that is the same exact engine/turbo that the 2019 I4 Camaro has, is it pretty much the same?
Yes it is the same engine, most aftermarket engine bolt-ons fit both.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #3
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Coming from the community spend that little bit of extra money on bolt-ons and do not go with the cheapest options if she daily drives the car and decides to mod it.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:27 AM   #4
merlin803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Coming from the community spend that little bit of extra money on bolt-ons and do not go with the cheapest options if she daily drives the car and decides to mod it.
She won't be doing any modding but I was just curious if the Camaro performance would be about the same because my SS lease is up at the end of the year and if I decide to replace it at all then I might just go with the Camaro I4 (don't really need two cars any more and will be looking to save some money).

With most of my driving being in stop and go traffic anyways, most of the SS power doesn't even get tapped.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
She won't be doing any modding but I was just curious if the Camaro performance would be about the same because my SS lease is up at the end of the year and if I decide to replace it at all then I might just go with the Camaro I4 (don't really need two cars any more and will be looking to save some money).

With most of my driving being in stop and go traffic anyways, most of the SS power doesn't even get tapped.
Not really the same straight line performance as the SS, but for minimal investment in mods/tune, etc it can be comparable. I personally think the handling is much better with the i4 if that's what you're into, several people autocross these 4 bangers and hang with the v8 track times quite easily.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #6
merlin803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Not really the same straight line performance as the SS, but for minimal investment in mods/tune, etc it can be comparable. I personally think the handling is much better with the i4 if that's what you're into, several people autocross these 4 bangers and hang with the v8 track times quite easily.
No, sorry, I was wondering if the performance was pretty much the same as my wife's 2016 Cadillac 2.0T.

I don't expect it to be the same as the SS (without mods at least like you mentioned). But the Caddy is pretty fun to drive and honestly if the Camaro is like that or even a little better then I think I would be pretty happy with it.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #7
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
No, sorry, I was wondering if the performance was pretty much the same as my wife's 2016 Cadillac 2.0T.

I don't expect it to be the same as the SS (without mods at least like you mentioned). But the Caddy is pretty fun to drive and honestly if the Camaro is like that or even a little better then I think I would be pretty happy with it.

Thanks
It should be very comparable, the Camaro may have a slight edge. If you like the Cadillac, and you're already used to having a Camaro, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Plus, you will probably see better fuel mileage with the i4 vs your SS, if that matters at all to you. I've seen as high as 37mpg freeway with mine, and on my daily commute I average 25-27mpg in mixed rural driving, and stop and go.

I actually came from a 5th gen SS to the i4. I've been very happy.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:43 PM   #8
merlin803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
It should be very comparable, the Camaro may have a slight edge. If you like the Cadillac, and you're already used to having a Camaro, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Plus, you will probably see better fuel mileage with the i4 vs your SS, if that matters at all to you. I've seen as high as 37mpg freeway with mine, and on my daily commute I average 25-27mpg in mixed rural driving, and stop and go.

I actually came from a 5th gen SS to the i4. I've been very happy.
Thanks! Ironically, even though I never baby the gas on my SS, I have averaged about 19.1 MPG over 3+ years (driving the same daily routes we get about 22-23 MPG in the Caddy).

I may gain a few MPG difference in the Caddy but it isn't as big a difference as I would have expected.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:48 PM   #9
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Welcome to the dark side.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #10
merlin803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
Welcome to the dark side.
Thanks, lol.

I have been daily driving an SS (a 5th Gen then my current 6th Gen) for over 7 years and went and test drove the V6 last year to see if it might be something that I would consider once my lease is up and I don't know if there was something just wrong with that specific one but it had like very little pick up from a stop. I turned around after a few blocks and took it back, lol.

Now, I know I am used to driving a SS and I didn't expect the V6 to be as quick but I do expect it to be noticeably quicker than the standard non-sports cars that I occasionally drive (Cruz, Equinox, Trax, Jeep Liberty....) and for whatever reason it wasn't (or at least didn't seem like it).

So, when my wife got the Caddy, I was surprised how quick it was. In fact, every time I drive it I find myself surprised. Now, that I can live with, it is fun to drive.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:37 PM   #11
Jason@JacFab

I also drove a 6th gen v6 before hand, and was not impressed. The i4 is the way to go if you're not gonna have a v8. Tons of support for the 4 cylinder if you did decide you wanted to hop it up also, the v6 department is pretty lacking.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:47 PM   #12
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I drove the I4 and V6 back to back on the same day before buying my V6. I agree the V6 feels a bit soft out of the hole but it quickly makes up for it...especially over the 4 banger
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:31 PM   #13
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:

You would not be disappointed going to an I4 for a fun daily driver, I know exactly what ya mean by not being able to really use the power of the SS. Fact is, after some simple mods to the I4, you start to have that same problem Sky is the limit on the I4, the V6 is almost at its limits from the factory. I always drove V8's, this was my first 4 banger, and looking back-I would not change a single thing! Good luck with your future decision!!

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:48 PM   #14
merlin803

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
You would not be disappointed going to an I4 for a fun daily driver, I know exactly what ya mean by not being able to really use the power of the SS. Fact is, after some simple mods to the I4, you start to have that same problem Sky is the limit on the I4, the V6 is almost at its limits from the factory. I always drove V8's, this was my first 4 banger, and looking back-I would not change a single thing! Good luck with your future decision!!
Good to know & thanks!