Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-16-2018, 10:40 PM   #1
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
quick jack and jack stands

Well, I bought a quickjack and I have to say it's some of the best money I've spent on this hobby. I know a lot of us have it so I think this question is worth asking.

If you had the car up on the quickjack (which negates the ability to use the pinch welds for jack stands) where would you place 4 jack stands?

I ask just in case i'm doing some long term work on the Camaro I would like to have the quickjack available to use on the hellcat or on my girlfriend's car.

thank you

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:10 AM   #2
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
Well, I bought a quickjack and I have to say it's some of the best money I've spent on this hobby. I know a lot of us have it so I think this question is worth asking.

If you had the car up on the quickjack (which negates the ability to use the pinch welds for jack stands) where would you place 4 jack stands?

I ask just in case i'm doing some long term work on the Camaro I would like to have the quickjack available to use on the hellcat or on my girlfriend's car.

thank you
For long term projects don’t use the quick jack, use a regular jack and stands. Hope this helps.
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:19 AM   #3
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoent View Post
For long term projects don’t use the quick jack, use a regular jack and stands. Hope this helps.
No help my friend.

The reason why I bought the quickjack is to avoid having to use a floor jack. My driveway surface is kind of rough which causes the floor jack to not roll smoothly as I’m jackig the car. Just caused me $3000 worth of damage because the car slipped off the floor jack.

I know the aluminum cradle in the front of the car should not be used to place jack stands. I found these pictures on the Zl1 addon site. I don’t agree with the jack stand placement they suggest.

Anybody have any other ideas?
Attached Images

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Old 11-17-2018, 06:02 AM   #4
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
I would not support my car with jack stands under the aluminum K-brace up front... it's too flimsy for a ~1000 lb point load. If you must, use a 2x4 to distribute the pressure and hopefully it won't buckle.

Good luck!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #5
Alain

I wouldn’t even use the 2x4 on the front aluminum.
It’s looking more and more like I’m going to have to get race ramps for the Camaro if it’s going to be up long term or try my luck again with a floor jack.

Looking at those pictures I don’t see any other possible place to put jack stands. Even the cross member in the back is inaccessible.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

Old 11-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #6
zegreatone
Sinister6.2

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Black 2SS A8
Quote:
I wouldn’t even use the 2x4 on the front aluminum.
It’s looking more and more like I’m going to have to get race ramps for the Camaro if it’s going to be up long term or try my luck again with a floor jack.

Looking at those pictures I don’t see any other possible place to put jack stands. Even the cross member in the back is inaccessible.
Could you get ZL1 Addon bolt on jack points and use the quick jacks on those?

September 29th, 2016 - Order Placed

November 14th, 2016 - Car built

November 21st, 2016 - took delivery of my new Camaro!
zegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #7
OVERPAR73
2018 Garnet Red ZL1 conve

Drives: 2013 & 2018 ZL1 vert
Quick Jack

Can you tell me which size Quick Jack you got? I have some interest in this and not real sure which one to get, thanks.

Quote:

thank you
Old 11-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #8
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zegreatone View Post
Could you get ZL1 Addon bolt on jack points and use the quick jacks on those?
I already have the zl1 addon bolt on lift points, that's where the quickjack makes contact with the body of the car. but once the car is up in the air using the quickjack I have zero access to the pinch weld locations so I can't put the car down on jack stands using the zl1 addon jack points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERPAR73 View Post
Can you tell me which size Quick Jack you got? I have some interest in this and not real sure which one to get, thanks.
I got the 7000 ext version. Get the 7000 pound version, it's only $150 more (if I remember correctly) and you'll never have to worry if your cars are too heavy for the quickjack. worth the extra dough.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

Old 11-18-2018, 07:29 PM   #9
OneWheelPeel

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS V6 Convertible
If it’s long term lift with the quick jack and then put rhino ramps or wood blocks under the tires?
OneWheelPeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:08 PM   #10
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWheelPeel View Post
If it’s long term lift with the quick jack and then put rhino ramps or wood blocks under the tires?
I thought of that as well. I'm on the look out to purchase Race Ramps this upcoming Black Friday....... Hope there are some sales somewhere.

BUT, If for some reason I need to have the wheels off the car long term, I'd like to be able to leave it on jack stands, so that puts me back at square one.

I'm really trying to stay away from using the floor jack in any way. Help me out here fellers.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

Old 11-19-2018, 06:46 AM   #11
24v
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 SS
Use a jack instead. Just get something like a steel plate to put under it so it can move properly while jacking. That, or fix your damn driveway.
24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:07 PM   #12
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24v View Post
Use a jack instead. Just get something like a steel plate to put under it so it can move properly while jacking. That, or fix your damn driveway.
I thought about getting a steel plate to put the floor jack on. Only problem is that it will affect my clearance getting the jack under the car. Don’t forget the 1LE is significantly lower than the regular Zl1.

I honestly don’t think there is anywhere else to put floor jacks on this car other than the pinch weld.

Hopefully I’ll be able to score some discounted Race ramps this weekend and those will suffice.

I would have taken care of the shitty surface on the driveway already if I owned the place, I’m a renter so That is not an option for me.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

Old 11-20-2018, 06:45 AM   #13
24v
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 SS
Quote:
I thought about getting a steel plate to put the floor jack on. Only problem is that it will affect my clearance getting the jack under the car. Don’t forget the 1LE is significantly lower than the regular Zl1.

I honestly don’t think there is anywhere else to put floor jacks on this car other than the pinch weld.

Hopefully I’ll be able to score some discounted Race ramps this weekend and those will suffice.

I would have taken care of the shitty surface on the driveway already if I owned the place, I’m a renter so That is not an option for me.
You can jack up the rear in the center. As for a metal plate, you shouldn't need anything too thick. Maybe 3/16" or so?
24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:10 AM   #14
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
So everyone knows, i don't know how long the promo was on for but if you want a quick jack you can use SEMA2018 for a $300 off discount, i ordered my 7000ext for 1291, it arrives today
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote