Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-26-2018, 05:20 PM   #15
Roasted7

Drives: 2016 2SS
Been wanting to try these tires soooo bad but pretty much everyone I know says 2 track days and done. So I think i'm going to try the Hoosier R7's next and hopefully get 4 track days
Roasted7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:12 AM   #16
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasted7 View Post
Been wanting to try these tires soooo bad but pretty much everyone I know says 2 track days and done. So I think i'm going to try the Hoosier R7's next and hopefully get 4 track days
That's not true. 2 track days? No....I suppose it depends on the track and how you drive, but mine lasted for 2 track days, the equivalent of 3 autocrosses, and 4000 street miles.

I just went to Pocono with a new set, and they've got "tons" (relatively speaking) tread left.

I'm also real curious if the alignment we did will prevent, or reduce the inside cording a lot of people are experiencing.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:47 PM   #17
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Huh?
I'd read somewhere that the MRC has a ride height setting. Since the 19's cause the car to sit lower, you had to have the suspension height setting zero'd so it would work optimally. This is coming from one of the guys on the facebook page who autocrosses/tracks often. I would love to hear that he's completely wrong and it doesn't matter at all, I'll have 19's in no time if that's the case!

Last edited by Matos1LE; 05-28-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:32 PM   #18
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matos1LE View Post
I'd read somewhere that the MRC has a ride height setting. Since the 19's cause the car to sit lower, you had to have the suspension height setting zero'd so it would work optimally. This is coming from one of the guys on the facebook page who autocrosses/tracks often. I would love to hear that he's completely wrong and it doesn't matter at all, I'll have 19's in no time if that's the case!
Uh, no... dead wrong. I run 18’s, 19’s and 20’s on my SS 1LE. Search some of my posts, I “track often”.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:57 AM   #19
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I've heard both stories, and haven't seen a confirmation on either one.

There are ride-height sensors at each corner to provide feedback for the operation of MRC. But what I'm unsure of is if the system cares where "zero" is. Some take the time to put in shorter "end links" when they lower the car with springs. Others don't care and say it works fine.

That all said - the wheel/tire height will not affect this sensor...because so long as the suspension remains unchanged, the position of the spindle relative to the car will remain the same no matter what size wheel & tire you're using.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:12 AM   #20
Provoste

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I've heard both stories, and haven't seen a confirmation on either one.

There are ride-height sensors at each corner to provide feedback for the operation of MRC. But what I'm unsure of is if the system cares where "zero" is. Some take the time to put in shorter "end links" when they lower the car with springs. Others don't care and say it works fine.

That all said - the wheel/tire height will not affect this sensor...because so long as the suspension remains unchanged, the position of the spindle relative to the car will remain the same no matter what size wheel & tire you're using.

One thing about MRC that I will tell you, is that when any of the wheels are in the air at full droop (when jacked up or on a lift), the suspension doesn't return the car to normal ride height until you start drivng the car. It lowers the suspension ~ 1.5-2 inches as you start to drive. It does this automatically, regardless of 18-20" wheel/tire size.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:35 AM   #21
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
One thing about MRC that I will tell you, is that when any of the wheels are in the air at full droop (when jacked up or on a lift), the suspension doesn't return the car to normal ride height until you start drivng the car. It lowers the suspension ~ 1.5-2 inches as you start to drive. It does this automatically, regardless of 18-20" wheel/tire size.
That's primarily a function of the bushings, and stiff sidewalls, all of my Camaros have done that to varying degrees. The MRC pistons basically have open holes in them, so there's really nothing to prevent/restrict fluid flow until the system comes online and the EM coils energize.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:54 AM   #22
Provoste

Quote:
That's primarily a function of the bushings, and stiff sidewalls, all of my Camaros have done that to varying degrees. The MRC pistons basically have open holes in them, so there's really nothing to prevent/restrict fluid flow until the system comes online and the EM coils energize.
No, this is not a bushing function/sidewall etc. I’ve jacked up many many many cars in my day. This is a mechanical function you can see take place as the car starts to drive in the 3-5mph range.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:07 AM   #23
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
No, this is not a bushing function/sidewall etc. I’ve jacked up many many many cars in my day. This is a mechanical function you can see take place as the car starts to drive in the 3-5mph range.
if you say so...I never experienced that with MR. It has no right-height adjustability, simply damping rates. So I'm not sure what it is...maybe the fluid gets extra viscous or something? Haven't heard of that before.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:52 AM   #24
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
I have a lift and have never noticed a temp increase in ride height when I set the car back down. I put it on the lift after each track event. I’ll measure before and after Saturday when I raise / lower it.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:07 PM   #25
Provoste

Quote:
if you say so...I never experienced that with MR. It has no right-height adjustability, simply damping rates. So I'm not sure what it is...maybe the fluid gets extra viscous or something? Haven't heard of that before.
Yeah I'm not sure either. It's actually funny, when I swap wheels at the track, I've had friends gather and watch to watch it lower as I drive away. It definitly has something to do with the MRC.

ZL1 1LE, 964, Boxster S, 997, GT4 and every other car I've ever worked on have behaved just like you originally described.... where you need to roll them a tad to get a fully accurate ride height/alignment representation. Its different w/ the SS 1LE.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:12 PM   #26
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Yeah I'm not sure either. It's actually funny, when I swap wheels at the track, I've had friends gather and watch to watch it lower as I drive away. It definitly has something to do with the MRC.

ZL1 1LE, 964, Boxster S, 997, GT4 and every other car I've ever worked on have behaved just like you originally described.... where you need to roll them a tad to get a fully accurate ride height/alignment representation. Its different w/ the SS 1LE.
I've got to see this, now! I had MRC on my 2012 ZL1. And watched a shop lift and set back down a 2017 ZL1...and never saw/heard about this phenomenon you're describing. This is new to me!
Old 05-31-2018, 12:18 PM   #27
Provoste

Quote:
I've got to see this, now! I had MRC on my 2012 ZL1. And watched a shop lift and set back down a 2017 ZL1...and never saw/heard about this phenomenon you're describing. This is new to me!
I need to put new front pads on my SS 1LE tonight, I'll measure before jacking up, and right after. I'll take pictures too.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:28 PM   #28
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
I've heard otherwise, by Ryphile, who just got done trying the SC 3R's, that they are not really much better than the SC 3 tires. The comments were that the SC 3R had a more vague feel with peaky-er grip and less talky/communicative, where the SC 3 had better feel, more consistent grip and were a lot more communicative.

After doing a track day in 90F+, full sun weather, not having ANY issues with the SC 3 tires, I see zero need to deviate from them. They seem sensitive to getting air pressure right, so that might be something that has lead to people being turned off by them? But, get the pressure right and they are SWEET. They do pretty decent in autocross, too. Obviously not an RE71R, but pretty good still.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote